Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen Semois ads from other countries that advertise the Semois Bouchons. And, I have read a forum member's account of a small pipe shop in France or Italy, or somewhere, where they had bouchons on the counter for sale. But, to me, having the bulk of the tobacco packed tightly above the rim looks like a great way to mess up your rim

bouchon.jpg

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
It's amazing that one cigar can cost as much as a tin of pipe tobacco

My view as well.
I collect the third of my Cafe Creme's that are two small to smoke, cut them up and smoke in a pipe, but never stuffed a whole cigar in a pipe.

Great article and some interesting replies. Life is amazing! So is this Forum.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
i could see myself cutting off a portion of a good cigar and popping it into my briar :)

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
Seems like a good time to revive this old thread.
I've done this myself, but only with the end, not the whole cigar. I like to blow out through a cigar toward the end, let it go out, put it in a pipe with a conical bowl so it fits in snug when I press it in, cut the extra off with a razor, especially everything that's partially burned already, and light 'er up. Good to use a not-so-fancy pipe in case you scratch the rim, and it may take some poking with the tool to open up the tobacco a bit, and it may need to dry out by resting for a day or so, but it's an extra bowl that I wouldn't otherwise have had. One warning: Way more nicotine that any pipe tobacco I've ever had, and more than the original cigar too, because it's had all that time to build up in the end.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
When I started out, which was only a couple of months ago, I started with a £1 pipe and tobacco pulled from some old cigarillos I had lying around.
But no, never heard of or seen anyone with a cigar literally stuck in their pipe.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Yes, on occasion as I am finishing up a cigar. It is interesting how smoking it through a pipe changes things.

In the last year since my post above, I have had a few times when I have popped the last inch of a really good cigar into my pipe to finish it off. I have friends who use a small metal sword, I think used for olives in martinis? They will stab it into the last little bit of a cigar to finish it, but my skills at skewering the small butt of a cigar aren't as forgiving as just popping it into a pipe to finish off the last little bit of a nirvana evoking cigar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To misquote an old saying, the pipe is mightier than the sword; skewing the cigar might mar its construction even with just the cigar butt, so finishing it off in a pipe is a better idea, to me.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I thought some of the old pipes were actually made to smoke cigars. Cheroot holders. Like these from German Ebay:
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

themitch

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
Siena
The national cigar in Italy, the Sigaro Toscano, is known to have been smoked in pipe since a long time. It is in its essence a working-class cigar made by machine of italian Kentucky leaf (the wrapper is American Kentucky) which has been fermented. People smoke them whole or halved (they are biconical so you can do it without problems). There are also more high end and pricier, hand made versions, but the basic ones, the "storti" as they are called for their crooked form, are very affordable. They are strong in taste and nicotine, rough and rugged. Burning them in a pipe rounds their edges a bit and in addition is a way to smoke the damaged ones which occasionaly come out of the box.

They are great to rid a pipe of the gosts of previous tobaccos, but pack a nice punch, I still get almost sick even with smaller bowls. A very nice recipe, popular amongst italian pipe smokers, is a mix of equal parts Toscano and a rubbed out Virginia flake where the latter considerably mellows the Kentucky leaf.

In some shops you can find "Cimette", leftover stumps from the production, packaged and sold to be crumbled down and smoked in a pipe.
tumblr_n2pe14awbx1rbu26bo1_500.jpg

webpnet-resizeimage.jpg

Reactions: Eaglesgift
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Cheroot holders were made specifically to smoke cheroots, which is a specific kind of cigar. From Wikipedia:
The cheroot is a filterless cylindrical cigar with both ends clipped during manufacture. Since cheroots do not taper, they are inexpensive to roll mechanically, and their low cost makes them popular. The word cheroot comes via French cheroute, originally from Tamil [/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.