PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I remember seeing old guys (what I am now) smoking a pipe with a cigar sticking up out of it in rural Wisconsin as a youth. Anyone know of such a practice, and the rationale (if any) for it? Anyone tried it?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I haven't tried it, but I do remember seeing an "old guy" doing it when I was a kid.
Personally, I think it's weird. My impression from seeing it as a kid, and noticing the other adults reactions was that the guy was being a goofball to get attention. No offense to anyone that might be doing this.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
My friend is a big cigar smoker and said that if he has a real expensive cigar at the end he will sometimes put it in a pipe to get every last dime out of it.

I would just get a cigar holder.

truckpipe

Lurker
May 22, 2009
As brazz mentioned, I have also put the "nub" of a good cigar in one of my Falcon pipes to get the last out of it. Not always but if I get a good cigar and its tasting good at the end I hate for it be over.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I don't blame you one bit. I have done the same thing with a damage cigar and have cut the but up of a very good and expensive cigar to get every bit of it. It works well for those of us that have highend tast, but blue collar funds.
Wes

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have never smoked a whole cigar in a pipe nor have I seen anyone do so. I have tried saving all of the caps from cutting my cigars and tried smoking them. It did not go so well and tasted horrible. I guess it was because of so many different cigar pieces that were in it and the different flavors just didn't taste good.
That being said, there are some really good pipe blends that have cigar leaf in them. A lot of people will use damaged cigars that they have and mix some of the cigar leaf in with a blend to customize it.

sailorgil

Lurker
Jan 16, 2010
I know one gentleman [an 85 year old, POW, WWII Veteran], who only smokes once a day .... His smoke for the day consists of a cigar piece in a pipe bowl ..... His method: He sticks the cigar in the bowl and then slices it off, flush with the top of the bowl. His reason: He likes the smell of the cigar, but does not want to smoke a whole cigar at one time..... I have never tried it, but am tempted to!

aeronca7acman

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
My Grandfather Used to do it All the Time in Denmark , Times where Tough so the Squeezed Every bit of Tobacco out they Could,,,,, Even Grew their Own in the Back Garden !!!!!!!

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
My main reason for pipe smoking stubs was that a mostly smoked cigar drifted smoke in my eyes, which I hated. Many stubby cigars ended their lives in my pipes, back when I could afford cigars.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Well, there are many antique cheroot holders extant. I think maybe one of these could be what you saw.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I wouldn't want to. When I put down a cigar, it's because it's started to "turn", and is no longer enjoyable, to my taste buds. :puffy:

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
My great grandfather use to do it. Like said above, he was a poor farmer who didn't waste tobacco. I've been told by my grandfather that he would also put chewing tobacco on a shovel and dry it out over a fire and smoke it. My grand father said he tried it one day when he was home alone and got sick as a dog. :D

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I've done it, and still from time to time. Either cut off a section, or place it in my pipe and cut off the portion extending. Works if I want to smoke part of a cigar, or finish one I have left..... I didn't think I was that old or weird yet. I guess I am.... :clap:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Sounds interesting. I think I will try this with ALL of my cigar leftovers. It can give any english a litle kick in the pants if you're good at matching up the flavours.
As far as the smoking CHEWING TOBACCO? That's hardcore.
Back to what the OP saw, I'll side with "billinsfl", and say it was most likely a meerchaum holder for Cigars. Nifty lil thangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.