Anyone Else Prefer Wooden Matches Over A Lighter.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Redbird still makes them, you can get them in big 250 match boxes or small 30 match boxes. Can still strike them with a finger nail like when I was a kid
Redbird must be a Canada only thing. I can't find those anyplace down here. Now that's a switch. Usually we can get the naughty stuff and you Leafs have to look on green w/ envy.

Reactions: BROBS

TheFall

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2020
Alberta, Canada
Redbird must be a Canada only thing. I can't find those anyplace down here. Now that's a switch. Usually we can get the naughty stuff and you Leafs have to look on green w/ envy.
That is a switch forsure! Can get them everywhere here, The odd part is redbird is part of Eddy Match which is based in New Hampshire. I do see that these were made in Chile though. Eddy Match was a Canadian company back in the day. I wonder if they still distribute the redbird brand here because that is what everyone was familiar with or something.

Anyway I like to use matches but I am currently exploring different methods, Bic works good but I don't like it as much as matches, I have a zippo in the mail. I hope that I like the zippo, matches can be frustrating outside and if I like the zippo, I will be making my own trench pipe Lighters

Reactions: BROBS and docpierce

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I always prefer matches over any kind of lighter. In part because it is a softer flame easily to control and in part because it is old school.
But since I discovered the hempwick with an holder such as the flickwick I am using them for relighting and increasingly for initial lighting as they are even softer, easier to control and more wind resistent.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm curious about flicwick. What are the advantages in your view?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like useful tool- used often & well loved.
It's condition in that photo reflected years of being in a junk drawer. I dropped it the day I bought it and it seemed to no longer hold fuel. Infuriated after spending such a price for a lighter and thinking it junk, I kept it around only for photo dressing and photo size comparison. I later discovered the drop has caused a sort of vapor lock and now, regularly used and buffed, looks like this.

20200525_145015.jpg

Dworkin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
Just for aesthetic experience alone, I love to use a cedar spill or a cedar match - the smell alone is a lovely complement to the tobacco. Since I smoke outside exclusively, I don't often do that.

Good point. I haven't been able to find spills or tapers here in the UK since being born again with the pipes. Making do with cigar matches for now.

D.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
I tend to lean towards my Zippo, I don't really notice any off flavors and it seems to burn a little hotter and create a more even ember; but that being said, I'm using matches right now so... ?‍♂️

For lighting cigars though, I'm VERY high tech. I use the Bernzomatic torch that my father bought sometime in the mid '60s; I always light THAT with a match.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I prefer using wooden matches but Montreal is quite windy so I end up using a lighter. Today was perfect for matches though.
Yep, that's the problem I run into all the time in my area of the Pacific Northwest. The frequent wind means temps are usually held down, but it makes lighting up a trickier proposition. Every once in a while, I get to use my gradually dwindling stock of cedar matches outside.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Good point. I haven't been able to find spills or tapers here in the UK since being born again with the pipes. Making do with cigar matches for now.

D.
Where do you order your tobacco? A number of retailers will often include some cedar spills to go along with your order (particularly those who also sell cigars).

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I prefer matches but sometimes I have to resort to the dread lighter when it is just too windy.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Can you elaborate on this? I'm curious about flicwick. What are the advantages in your view? ]

First of all hempwick has a softer flame, even softer than match. Than you can control the flame even better than a match particularly in relighting a deep bowl where you can put it precisely down the bowl.

The disadvantage is that you need to use something to light it up and here is where the flickwick (or similar hempwick holders) come into play as it is an holder which has a spool of hempwick and a minibic where you can easily light the wick with one hand.

What I like specifically about the flickwick is that with one single hand not only you can light the wick but also you can advance the wick (basically having a flame of unlimited time) but also extinguish the flame putting it back, all with a single hand, it is really like having a functional lighter.

I prefer to use a 2 mm wick instead of the 1mm furnished with the flickwick as a 2 mm wick has the additional benefit of being the most wind resistant at least of the soft flames.
There is a stigma associated with hempwick as it is generally used for other smokable products but I don't care, it works fine with a tobacco pipe.

JMcQ

Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
[Can you elaborate on this? I'm curious about flicwick. What are the advantages in your view? ]

First of all hempwick has a softer flame, even softer than match. Than you can control the flame even better than a match particularly in relighting a deep bowl where you can put it precisely down the bowl.

The disadvantage is that you need to use something to light it up and here is where the flickwick (or similar hempwick holders) come into play as it is an holder which has a spool of hempwick and a minibic where you can easily light the wick with one hand.

What I like specifically about the flickwick is that with one single hand not only you can light the wick but also you can advance the wick (basically having a flame of unlimited time) but also extinguish the flame putting it back, all with a single hand, it is really like having a functional lighter.

I prefer to use a 2 mm wick instead of the 1mm furnished with the flickwick as a 2 mm wick has the additional benefit of being the most wind resistant at least of the soft flames.
There is a stigma associated with hempwick as it is generally used for other smokable products but I don't care, it works fine with a tobacco pipe.
Wait a minute. Am I following here, it's a lighter that you need a separate lighter to light??

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and bryguysc

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yep, you got it!

It reminds me of "whatever floats your boat". The simplicity and reliability of a good refillable butane light ticks all the boxes for me.
It has more control than any other method of ignition.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020

Thank you.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Wait a minute. Am I following here, it's a lighter that you need a separate lighter to light?? ]

It's the size of a lighter which holds a spoon of hempwick and a minibic. So actually the lighter is a minibic but the holder is made that when you light the minibic it lights the wick right away. It does not add time or complexity, easier to do than to say. I already said the advantages of using the wick.

1590454294517.png

Reactions: BROBS and bryguysc