Anyone Else Prefer Wooden Matches Over A Lighter.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Small wood matches are great. Hate the kitchen matches for pipes.

Most often, a good to excellent refillable butane. Zippo, only in a gale.

Reactions: BROBS

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Only wooden matches here. Easy to control the flame. A lighter is just one more thing to keep track of haha. If I misplace a box of matches, then I just grab another one, no big deal.

Reactions: BROBS and docpierce

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
A logical minimalist approach.
I guess that true, except when I have like 5 different boxes of matches going at the same time in different places lol. Then it becomes maximalist. It's all about balance I guess haha.

But seriously i also use matches cause (I think) they are more environmentally friendly than lighters(at least the plastic disposable ones).

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
You guys who use matches are oblivious to this well known fact. People who use them grow ungodly amounts of hair in their ears, You will need to trim them daily. Who wants to do that?
...and please-do not insert the lit wooden matches into the ear canal in hopes of singeing off the excess ear hair.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and NomadOrb

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wish they still made those strike anywhere matches... Then I would be golden.
They do.

61wLmXGemLL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: BROBS and bryguysc

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only match I would ever consider using are the Davidoffs. They are long enough for a charring light and a true light at your leasure.
I had a buddy who had a Davidoff acount and we would sell me anything I wanted for 10 percent over cost. He just wanted stuff gone as I believe to get the account and inventory was like 250K i memory serves.

They are great matches, I would use them if they were not so damned expensive. I think they sold for 7.99 for maybe 20 matches.

Nah, now that I think about it I wouldn't be caught dead not using my Pipemster.