Anyone Else Prefer Wooden Matches Over A Lighter.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just did some extensive e research and found out how many trees are killed for your matches. Some poor tree is minding his own business then gets chopped down just so you can light your pipe or cigar or cigarette.

You are killing the planet and I have had enough.I am going to report every match user on this site to the Forrest rangers swat team service. I bet you didn't know our Forrest system had swat teams. Well they do and they are viscous. They will show no mercy if you have matches on you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

This message has been brought to you buy IM Corona.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I prefer matches for the initial lighting, from there on match or lighter will do fine. The only pipe that I rarely use a match with is my Castello stack. Easier to stick the match down the bowl.

Harris, the Forrest SWAT teams are "viscous?" I don't know how deep undercover you had to go to find that out, but you've gone well above and beyond duty :LOL:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like to use a bic and a wick. Hemp wick with bee's wax, acts like a candle wick w/o the candle. Saves on lighters, fingers, rims, and tobacco, ( you can extend the wick to any length you want to reach down into those last deep reaches) Ash tray is only for ash.

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
I have grown quite fond of the suddenness and dramatic flare of using a wooden strike anywhere match. Many lighters are elegant, true.Their gentle, mechanics are fine.
But for me, especially for my 1st smoke of the day, in the lovely, quiet dawn light hours- nothing beats them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
I agree, have the box of matches right here on my desk as I enjoy a bowl of PA with my morning coffee. I remember my grandfather striking a match on his shoe and then lighting up a bowl of Cutty Pipe.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
This is my lighter, makes a statement and fits my personality. In other words, regardless of the match/lighter lighting a pipe debate, lighters can be more than just lighters because of their personality, matches can't do that.

zippo.jpegzippo.jpeg

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
Anyone ever use the Xikar Scribe?

I always have a roll of pens (think cigar roll case filled with fountain pens) on me, as, well, fountain pen hobbyist, enough said, and it looks like it would fit in with something I already carry. I'm a bit curious about how well it works.

It seems a littel cheeper than the IM corona...

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
Anyone ever use the Xikar Scribe?

I always have a roll of pens (think cigar roll case filled with fountain pens) on me, as, well, fountain pen hobbyist, enough said, and it looks like it would fit in with something I already carry. I'm a bit curious about how well it works.

It seems a littel cheeper than the IM corona...
I’ve been looking at the Xikar Resource II with the fold-out tamper. I like the look of the Scribe too but I just know I’d end up using the whole lighter as a tamper if I had one.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Anyone ever use the Xikar Scribe?

I always have a roll of pens (think cigar roll case filled with fountain pens) on me, as, well, fountain pen hobbyist, enough said, and it looks like it would fit in with something I already carry. I'm a bit curious about how well it works. ]

I do have. I like the design, I hate the functionality as it is very difficult to use with one hand as most of the times it closes the two parts it is made while trying to light it up with one hand. If they can make it works reliably with one hand it would be a winner.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I love my IM Corona Old Boy, but I've recently noticed that matches are much better at relighting when the bowl has progressed a bit.

It may be related to the fact that I have set the flame to be quite small on the old boy, but it seems the flame from the matches is somehow hotter and easier to be drawn into the bottom of the bowl.

I'm starting to take a liking to using matches instead.