Anyone Else Prefer Wooden Matches Over A Lighter.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I have grown quite fond of the suddenness and dramatic flare of using a wooden strike anywhere match. Many lighters are elegant, true.Their gentle, mechanics are fine.
But for me, especially for my 1st smoke of the day, in the lovely, quiet dawn light hours- nothing beats them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I really like the gadgetry of lighters and have several I keep around "for company," but wooden matches are my go-to light, for the softness of the flame, the good control they offer, and the ritual aspect, the sound striking them and the hiss of them bursting into flame. I was a church acolyte (candle lighter in a choir robe) in my young teenager years, before graduating the ushering, so that may have something to do with it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will only use an IM Corona Pipemaster to light my pipes. It had an electronic ignition that has never failed. It has a fairly large fuel tank and it has a built in tamper which keeps me from always looking for my tamper. The tamper that comes with it is also longer than the Old Boy.

I just got my 5th Pipemaster a couple of weeks ago, I didn't have a straight black one. There are only 4 styles, the Pewter with the pipe pics, the old herringbone type, the silver herringbone and the solid black. The reason I have 5 is I lost my first one the Pewter with pipe shapes so ordered another and then found the first.

Now you may be asking yourself why anyone would need 5 of the same models? The answer is simple, I believe these are being phased out and I don't ever want to be without one. I have no proof they are on the chocking block but I look at inventories around the pipe world and there are fewer and fewer. I will have a Pipemster till I die

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I will only use an IM Corona Pipemaster to light my pipes. It had an electronic ignition that has never failed. It has a fairly large fuel tank and it has a built in tamper which keeps me from always looking for my tamper. The tamper that comes with it is also longer than the Old Boy.

I just got my 5th Pipemaster a couple of weeks ago, I didn't have a straight black one. There are only 4 styles, the Pewter with the pipe pics, the old herringbone type, the silver herringbone and the solid black. The reason I have 5 is I lost my first one the Pewter with pipe shapes so ordered another and then found the first.

Now you may be asking yourself why anyone would need 5 of the same models? The answer is simple, I believe these are being phased out and I don't ever want to be without one. I have no proof they are on the chocking block but I look at inventories around the pipe world and there are fewer and fewer. I will have a Pipemster till I die
Ok. I'm going to have to look it that.

-5 minutes later of web searching... those are nice.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and dcon

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I discovered the existence of pipe discussion forums when I googled for info about why I had no luck whatsoever with lighters working for more than 4 months.:LOL: So, matches instead of a drawer full of defunct lighters for me. Of course, I only smoke indoors anyway.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Casual

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If anyone ever wants a IM Corona Pipemaster, you better grab them while still in production. My gut is telling they are going the way of the dodo.
I am sure you are asking how could some clown of a pipe site know this?I have been following how much scarcer they are than 6 months ago. Every retailer seems to be on their last legs and I don't see any re orders. I called it it with Rotary Navy Cut and I was right, I am right this time. Old boys will be fine.

I know own 5 Pipemasters. I have my original that is that is a Pewter with the pipe shapes. Next one was a Gold Tone, Next was a Silver Herring bone type, during this time I had lost my original replaced it and promptly found it. Next was the gold tone one and last was a straight black I just got a couple of weeks ago and it was the all Black one.

I am planning on lighting my pipes with a Pipemaster till the end of time. I also have 2 old boys, half a dozen Dpont and a Davidoff Pipe lighterI bought myself in Paris in 2000. The french franc was still in affect so I got a real good deal on t. I only use it when I am dressed up..

Yes I have a lighter issue. It started with my first Zippo when I was 12.

Reactions: BROBS

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I always prefer matches over any kind of lighter. In part because it is a softer flame easily to control and in part because it is old school.
But since I discovered the hempwick with an holder such as the flickwick I am using them for relighting and increasingly for initial lighting as they are even softer, easier to control and more wind resistent.