PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I tried minecraft for about 30 minutes. I got super bored and irritated. I guess I dont have the patience for it

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
Same here, then I saw what my kids were doing with it and gave it another shot. Once you figure it out it can be quite fun.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Started playing by mail in 1973 using the stock market for dice rolls. First computer game was Wizardry on the Apple I've got hanging on the wall for nostalgia. As a programmer I've had invites to most computer games in beta (alpha on Blizzard). I don't play console games and first person shooters, they give me a headache after 20 minutes. The big event came with Ultima Online. I was part of the Metasoft team coding the emulator allowing everyone to play for free. I then scripted a server for Australia so they had a no lag place to play. In WOW I ran a 100 cap guild for a couple years but became to much. During this time was half of the website unknownplay.com were we interviewed everyone from owners of companies to head designers for games. Some may remember the site. Since Shogun and the Total War series began I've mostly played RTS, still beta test on some games. Now with DOTA being the biggest game in the world, I'll post another thread on how well the US has clawed up to kicking ass. Now I play some Rome 2 but mostly analyze and coach my youngest son (20) and his semi-pro team for all the pro DOTA competitions. All three of my kids have been gamers since they turned two and still game. So I guess a gamer for life :D

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Update: I picked up Destiny for the PS4 last night and i gotta say, WOW. Its a fantastic game and i highly recommend it.
1389870872151-21.jpg

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Anyone remember Roger Wilco? That game was honking hilarious!
I'll see your Roger Wilco and raise you Leisure Suite Larry and the Land of the Lounge Lizards. :)
I miss Sierra. Though I did hear they are kind of back and working on a new Kings Quest.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
I need a new PC game to play. Im thinking of picking LOTRO back up but wanted to see what else is out there F2P. Suggestions? I don't have a console.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@husky: Agreed, for an RPG Skyrim is generally considered to be the best ever made. If you do get it, PM me with your graphics card and I can tell you how to tweak it. I'm playing on High with excellent framerates on a card Bethesda says will only hande Low.
Racing: DiRT3, but you'll need a wheel and pedals. All kinds of disciplines in cool 60s and 70s cars. Google the cheat code to unlock all the cars and tracks so you don't have to earn them. Beautiful graphics.
Flying: FSX (Flight Simulator 10). I have over 750 hours in it, but you'll want a bunch of downloads. There's plenty of free stuff, including photoreal terrain for much of the US and other countries. You can fly over your house and see which of your neighbors have pools. I have almost 200 aircraft, more than half of which are helicopters. PM me for the links if that's the way you go.
If you want games good for smoking: Silent Hunter III is the best sub game. You're a U-Boat and the pace is very slow. It might take you 30-40 minutes to stalk a ship or escape a destroyer. Better than the later Silent Hunters.
A couple of great turn-based smoking games are XCOM: Enemy Within. Remake of the classic, squad based combat. Uses Action Points to make it turn-based. Fighting aliens.
Also, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition just came out. They remade it and it stands up to time very well. A classic RPG. Won't stress your graphics card at all.
For an FPS, you're on your own, there's a jillion of them :)

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
I actually have Skyrim, only played it VERY briefly. I would have to totally start over which is fine. As far as graphics card, I play on a sony Vaio laptop that's a few years old. It handled WoW and neverwinter just fine.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@husky: With a Vaio laptop, you don't even have a graphics card, you are using one or two chips on your mobo, depending on the Vaio model. If you can handle the visual quality with only onboard graphics though, Skyrim would make a great next game. It's a classic. Here's a link to an awesome Skyrim wiki; anything you might want to know is on there :)
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you want to test yourself in the number one competitive scene then DOTA2 is your game. Tough learning curve but they even have “schools” with people helping you learn the game while in game. It’s also free-to-play and people can’t buy any advantage. FPS is defiantly Counter Strike. Steam games are the way to go with all the games in a cloud. I’ve clocked 2200 hours on steam.
The Total War series of games are great for both private and competitive gaming. I recommend Rome2, Shogun2, Napoleon or Midieval2 depending on what era you like playing in. They’re also available on steam. WOW and Diablo have been the same old same old too many years. Skryim is a good private play game if you don’t have time and more into story play.
Craig

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
PS4 and Steam gamer here. Just built a crazy good SLI rig, but I find I'm playing more on the PS4 of late.
I really like Diablo 3 on the PS4 -- far easier on the ol' carpal tunnels than the PC click-fest, after a long day at the office.
Destiny is really fun, too.
Still playing both of those, but next is up Last of Us on PS4 -- then I think I'll go back and play Uncharted 3 and revisit Red Dead Redemption, which really needs a remaster on these new consoles. Such a fantastic, atmospheric game.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Skryim is a good private play game if you don’t have time and more into story play.
Skyrim ... Best Elder Scrolls yet! After much marauding and gold hoarding, I just finally settled down

and bought a house, got married, and quit the Thieves Guild.
Elder Scrolls 6: Argonia is due for release in March 2016 I think.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
I'll get Skyrim going again tonight. Surprisingly my onboard graphics run well at medium settings, I can run high graphics but it starts to get choppy.

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
I am in love with bethesda's games. Fan of TES since Morrowind(But I have played Arena dn Daggerfall as well) and Fallout. Espeially Fallout 3. I know it was very different fromt he originals but I dunoo, there was something in it sometihng like amgic that made me love it more than the older ones and New Vegas.
The Mass Effect series is Tremendous! Perphacs the only game I ve cried to. So well made, totally awesome :)
Surpreme Commander is also a really good game. It's an RTS but the scale and the resource system make it sooo Epic. Gotta love it :D
I m also playing League of Legends for like 3-4 years now. I m Gold 3 on EUNE Server.
Now I m waiting for The Division. I have high hopes for this game, it looks very promising :)

Status
Not open for further replies.