PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Despite me being the one who started this thread i too suffer from a loss of gaming time. since i bought the PS4 there really wasn't any good games out for it yet so it literally just sat there untouched for the longest time. I buy a game beat it in 8hrs tops and trade it in for new ones lol. the reason i like the games i like is that they either don't have an end or have side missions i can play after i beat the campaign. also i can stop the game and come back to it whenever i want and be where i stopped.
I forgot to mention the Infamous Series these are also pretty fun to play.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I loved the first one but like assassins creed i only played the first one and before you know it they had released lots more from the series and now i feel so far behind that its discouraging. I want to play the new infinite and black flag but i am one who enjoys the story lines in the games and i would hate feeling like i am lost missing out on the games in between. Like Game of Thrones i haven't started watching it until this week but there's already 6 seasons. I have a lot of catching up to do to say the least.

Aug 1, 2012
I'll start off by saying I really love computer games. I've been a PC gamer for years and enjoyed it thoroughly. Any game that isn't just a weak console port helps to further the genre and keep it alive. Hopefully that puts a bit of a different lens on the following rant.
That said...It sort of sucks that any RPG nowadays has to be a pseudo-FPS. If you want a game that has a single-player mode and a good, immersive story without having to deal with it being an FPS, you're screwed. Not that all the FPS-RPGs are crap, far from it, but there's not really an option for the fans of the original fallout series or Baldur's Gate or Arcanum or, or... Heck, I like the Mass Effect series as much as the next guy but not every RPG has to follow the same Bethesda pattern. Where have the creators/innovators like Black Isle and Bioware gone? Yeah, I get it, it's all "progress" and the effect of mobile devices etc. Still sucks.
Here's hoping that Wasteland 2 actually pans out and at least there will be another good game in that "old-schoo" (sic) fashion. I really would like another game that relies more on the ability to think through complex situations rather than the ability to shoot quickly.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
@Smokeybear: Bioshock 2 was made by a different game designer than the first one. It's okay, but doesn't have anything to do with the storyline. It was pretty much just made to make money off the success of the original. However, the lead game designer for the first Bioshock returned to make Infinite. It is truly an incredibly game that is tied loosely to the story of the first but has nothing to do with Bioshock 2. My only suggestion is that you play the Burial at Sea DLCs after you beat the game, it's some pretty intense shit

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
@captainsousie

I completely understand where you are coming from. I would recomend the current RPG that I am playing Divinity Original Sin if you are into the Dungeons and Dragons style RPG. It is self paced, it can be played co-op if you like, the battles are turn based so it does not take a lot of finger dexterity or split second decisions and timing. It allows you to think your moves out. Perfect for a pipe smoker (related thread on the forum). It can be downloaded via Steam if you are a Steam user.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Big-time Sudoku player here. :nana:
I was a D&D gamer back in the 80’s. Absolutely loved it, and all thing related (a la Tolkien, Conan, Elric, Earthsea, Fafhrd & Gray Mouser, etc.). Never had time to get sucked in to the electronic versions.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Since we are talking classics mine are anything NES as that is the first system I owned. I was never really into the strategy games I mean if I wanted that I would just would have gotten a job much younger however that's not to say I don't enjoy games that make you think and prompt you to solve difficult puzzles and problems but I just rather it be accompanied by awesome graphics and visuals. A game to me is an escape into an alternate reality where you can be someone or something else for a while and clear your mind. Now of course that is different for everyone. I also really enjoy indie games and developers that release on the playstation store there are some really cool artistic games out there from the indie market.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
smokeybear ... not surprising that you listed Skyrim first!
I'm on a second play through going with the rebels this time and focused on archery.
The Dark Brotherhood has adopted me and they have some interesting missions!
The Companions and I had a falling out and they are all dead ... :mrgreen:

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I just got a PS4 when I saw a price drop at Sam's Club for $350... So far I'm very impressed, I've been playing Sniper Elite 3 which has some very entertaining slow motion sequences, but I am most excited to pick up The Last of Us Remastered. I've wanted to play that game for a while, but had exclusively been an xbox player until now. The real question is whether or not I will get an Xbox One at all... I guess it'll just depend on their exclusive titles.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have always been a Playstation guy so what I'm about to say may not hold weight but when it came to 360 and PS3 the 360 was a little better but now the PS4 IMHO is unmatched against the one. You made a good choice making the switch this is the best time to do it. The controller is amazing on the PS4.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Up until about 6 months ago, I played alot of FPS (mostly COD titles) on the xbox360. Just started getting away from it as I spent more time writing, and now I only play once a week or so, if that.

I'm a RPG gamer from way back, though. Spent almost two years playing Ultima Online back in '97, then did Everquest for awhile and Dark Ages of Camelot. Got out before I could get sucked into the WOW machine, thankfully. That would have taken up too much of my time, for sure.

I'm sure I'll get back into some kind of game sooner or later. These things ebb and flow with me.

-PM

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I play MW3 mostly , Far Cry 3, I like assassins creed 2 the best out of the assassin games. I have Skyrim I have never downloaded it on to the X Box 360. The controls that x-box 360 & x-box one use look a little more user friendly then PS4's control. Is there much difference? Does anyone play both PS4 and X-box 360?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I once had a hobby of building and modding PCs so it's natural I got into PC gaming. I remember downloading the Doom demo levels when they first came out and introducing it to my kids who were five and three at the time. Wasn't long before I had three computers networked in the house. In order to avoid friction with Mom we code named the game "Bunny Bears". We had a blast and still play computer games together.
These days I'm mostly doing flight sims, my favorite being "Rise of Flight". I've got my head tracking device, flight stick and pedals. The only thing I'm lacking is time!
rise_zps24c4aa39.jpg

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
You honestly need to hold the ps4 controller to see the difference it's really an amazing design. My friends are pure xbox users but switched do to the controller and many other reasons but the controller was a big one.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I wish I would have known there were gamers on here . I thought I was the only old guy that still hammered the games and listened to rock & roll. :) I play those MW3 maps to try to get to number one legitimately solo. I love gaming I have since I was a kid.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Old system, pin and arcade collector here; though thanks to kids the hobby fell by the wayside. I still have my 2600 and Intellivision and a ton of old Commodore and Atari PC stuff. I'm down to one pin which is Dr. Who and it will go to the kids when I go lol. Also down to two stand ups Rampart and Space wars. I don't get much time to play new games. The last new one I played was the Tomb Raider reboot and found it quite enjoyable. I picked up a PSP on the cheap just to play that version of Sid Miers Pirates. Though I just started Persona 4 Golden and who knows how long that will take. Otherwise it's a game of Civilization Revolution for those quick fixes. I am looking forward to the new Ultima game though. I always played those and I fear when this one comes out I may get totally sucked in. Good times...:)

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I play xbox 360 quite a bit still. Im a huge gears of war fan and Halo fan. I also play FIFA a lot. Sometimes I get into the Call of Duty stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.