PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2011
Denver
I received my sample a few days ago but only tried the first pipeful tonight. I will reserve full judgement until at least a few more bowls but my initial reaction is as follows: I tried to concentrate on the flavors in relation to the description Russ provided on the website - particularly to think about Angler's Dream in relation to the tried n' true OTC geezer blends. The pouch note was pretty honest and straight forward tobacco - my nose didn't detect any overwhelming cinnamon or cocoa scent. The leaf is a lot more appealing visually than any of the OTCs I've ever seen and certainly appears to be of high quality. Charring light was smooth and the leaf lit easily and stayed lit after packing with no troubles. I detected the cinnamon right away in both taste and room note - probably a bit more than I would have liked. It wasn't overpowering in any sense but not something I associate to "geezer" blends. The cinnamon wasn't sweet either - to me it was bitter. I didn't get much cocoa on the tongue but did get it in the room note. I was glad to have smoked this in a cob as suggested and think that this improved the experience. I think that this blend lacks the sweet nuttiness that a traditional burley OTC provides and that I was expecting - it could be the cinnamon that negates it. The bowl did burn fast but not hot or wet and finished with nice grey ash that was easily knocked out. I'm not sure this is a replacement for PA or CH or similar. I will have a few more bowls but I feel that this sample will likely get mixed with some PA for improvement. Thanks to Russ for the sample.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
Sample came in the mail today. Thanks Russ!
Only had one bowl, but overall I have a favorable impression of it. Nice strong burley without being harsh. I'll smoke a few more before I give it a full review.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm with the last few comments... it ain't bad, but I'm underwhelmed.

I appreciate the sample Russ. Thank you.

But, I don't think this will be in my rotation, or cellar.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Well, as a long-time drugstore burley afficiando, here are my thoughts on this one:
This blend looks, smells and smokes like the OTC blends that Russ is emulating. The flavorings are fairly mild, as one would expect from a tobacco modeled after the likes of Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Edgeworth RR, etc. I do taste some cinnamon, but I picked up more of an all-around sweet note rather than specific flavoring agents. The flavor of the base tobaccos is far more prevalent than the flavorings, which is as it should be! It burned a little warm but didn't bite, and the room note was best described as "neutral" -- I don't expect a lot of compliments from it, but I wouldn't expect too many objections, either. The nicotine level was on the light side of medium, and this combined with its easy smoking characteristics should make it a good "all day" blend.
I liked it, and find myself wanting to smoke more. Is it going to replace Carter Hall in my rotation? Not yet, anyway, but I definitely plan on picking up a tub when it's available. It's not going to appeal to everyone, but insofar as achieving the specific goal he set out to do, Russ hit this one out of the ballpark!

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
Got my sample on Saturday, was able to try it out tonight. for me, the tin note was more of a cocoa than the cinnamon, and also a bit a nuttiness. Reminded me a bit of Nutella. My impression after the first bowl was meh. It by no means was bad, but is also not something I will be rushing out to get more of. It also was my first baccy that had cocoa or chocolate flavoring to it, and I am not too fond of chocolate in the food sense, so it might have something to do with that. Either way, it was a great sample to try and makes me excited for future endeavors from Russ.

wardrum

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2011
I just tried my sample tonight. Its not Carte Hall but I like it and will be ordering some when it comes out. and Thank You Russ for the sample

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
I figured I'd wait on this before adding my two cents. Russ was kind enough to send a sample, so I smoked it all in order to give Angler's a good go. I smoked it indoors and out, in every type of pipe I have. I like it, but with some notes: this blend sparkled, for me at least, in a clay. Cinnamon? You bet. Cocoa. Yes. Solid tobacco taste underpinning it? Wow, yeah. I loved this in a clay. No real bite, nice, clean, well-melded flavor. Tried it in a cob. Still a good smoke, but the cob tended to mute the cinnamon, let the cocoa through more, and let more nuttiness from the tobacco through. It was very pleasant, and just about where you'd expect to find a "top shelf" OTC blend to be (whatever that is...). I tried it in a burley Brigham, without filter. It was an OK smoke, but I wouldn't write home about it. I didn't get much of the cinnamon or cocoa, but the base of the blend was still solid. In a meerschaum, Angler's was somewhat closer to the smoke in a cob than a clay, in that the flavors misted in an out more than the clay, but there was more support for the burley taste.
I liked it. The aroma is pleasant (though consigned to the garage), but it was still pretty good on the back porch. I might just keep a few ounces around in its current incarnation, since I really enjoyed it in the clay and cob. Russ has come up with a really good, not-OTC OTC blend. That I'd like a little more cocoa and cinnamon is neither here nor there. It's been worth the time taken to smoke, and that's all I really ask of a tobacco sometimes.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I have found that the more I try it, the less I like it. each bowl I have tastes worse then the first one.my dad said that it smelled like "A nasty cigarette yup picked up off the street and started smoking". Now, I don't think it smells like that, he has always been weird about smells. I think it smells ok. I'm grateful for the free sample, but it wont be on my shopping list

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Okay, i've just recently gotten my sample of Angler's Dream about a week ago and im just now finishing up my fourth bowl of this blend just a few minutes ago. Let me start by saying thank you Russ for this generous amount of this fantastic blend. Im not one to smoke and consider the depths of tobacco or the hidden flavors within a bowl of this or that.
After a few bowls of this blend i found it to be awesome. To me it felt like a good honest tobacco with little bits of sweetness. I definitely understand the reviews referring to the tingle of the cinnamon, matched with the burley ( Mostly noticed the tingle from the cinnamon when 'snorkeling' the smoke as Mark described a page back, which i too do regularly). I think Russ is right on the point with this blend. My question is, how can you not enjoy this tobacco!? In my opinion this tobacco has everything a smoker could want. If its the natural taste of the tobacco you enjoy or the sweetness of aromatics, or if youre on the fence, this tobacco has everything.
I agree that this blend isn't one to knock you off your feet with the first bowl, but i think if the blend is considered on the inspiration of the blend and what the blend it crafted around that it would earn its rights to a couple of thumbs up. I've found this blend to be very fitting for the fall season and these cool fall nights. Though i most likely wouldn't make this blend my 'goto', but its definitely made a good impression with me. I look forward to getting my hands on more of this blend soon. :puffy:
Edit: On a side note i wanted to say that 1: The smell of this tobacco seems noticably more clingy to my cloths (Anybody else notice this?). 2: This blend will not burn me. I have terrible luck with pipe mechanics and burning my tongue for whatever reason, but this tobacco hasn't given me any bite.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Nice review, Johnnyrebel! I'm with you on this one, it is a great smoke, but not an all day smoke for me. I will eventually order some of this after my sample runs out.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I think I will try this in my cob to see if it smokes better. I tried it in a briar but it was not to my liking.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Well, we're ahead of schedule for the first time I can remember, so instead of Nov. 15th, we're releasing Angler's Dream today. Click here for more info: http://pipesandcigars.com/andrpito1tu.html.

Thanks for the interest.
Russ

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
It's now available - So - I ordered my tub today - I look forward to getting it soon. This blend really grew on me and I like it alot.

chromenut

Lurker
Nov 8, 2011
Russ was kind enough to send me multiple samples and boy I was having some fun! Personally I prefer the Trout Stream and found Angler to be a bit harsh, but I think it's a tad green. Letting it settle in a bit, give it a month, then it likely will liven up a bit. Going to try it again in another week.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Got my tub on Friday - boy that was quick! Have been smoking this blend non-stop every since. Wonderful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.