PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
View attachment 22637
This is my favorite pipe, a 2005 Paolo Becker Pencil Shank, Stacked Lumberman. This was my dream pipe for a long time and for a lot of reasons: I admire the story of Paolo’s father, Fritz Becker (a Jew) and his escape from Nazi annihilation to become, amongst other things, one of the premier pipe makers in the world; I love Paolo’s take on this particular shape and his sand blast technique; I’m proud to own this pipe as they are so rare to come by on the estate market; but, most importantly, this is my favorite pipe because it taught me a very valuable lesson.....
View attachment 22638
.....it taught me how fast the things that we love can (literally) slip through our fingers.... Gam Zu L’tovah...
Ouch! That's gotta hurt. Off topic but, I remember the year when Paolo debuted the Spaghettio design in Chicago. I've never experienced a buzz go through the show like it before or since. I probably hadn't even got in the front door Thursday morning before I heard about the incredible pipes Paolo brought to the show. ?

Reactions: gamzultovah

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This Rad Davis pipe was my first so it has a special place in my heart. It smokes great and has the most perfect stem I have ever put in my mouth . I have 22 Rad's and still looking.
rad30.jpg

Hoosierpipeguy. I love my Rubio and Waldens but for you to pick them over Rad is blasphemy. The pipe gods are going to make you impotent for any good looking hooker. You will only get it up for 2 dollar crack whores. And when you croak, you will be put in a room with smokingmama for all time,

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This Rad Davis pipe was my first so it has a special place in my heart. It smokes great and has the most perfect stem I have ever put in my mouth . I have 22 Rad's and still looking.
View attachment 24514

Hoosierpipeguy. I love my Rubio and Waldens but for you to pick them over Rad is blasphemy. The pipe gods are going to make you impotent for any good looking hooker. You will only get it up for 2 dollar crack whores. And when you croak, you will be put in a room with smokingmama for all time,

Thanks for the happy thoughts Harris. :sher: Let's be fair, I didn't have the luxury you enjoyed of picking new ones or commissioning from Rad. There are at least 2 if not 3 Rads in my top 10. If you would unlock your wallet and buy some Rubios, you wouldn't be so harsh of my choice. And Ryan Alden is kind of a Rad disciple, his drills are great and his pipes smoke outstanding.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hoosier of all the things to take from my post, your exile for all time with smokingmama wasn't mentioned. I always knew you were fucking that old hag. lololool

I do get you about the Rubios and Aldens it really is splitting hairs comparing them. I do have a 7 day set of Rad's I could let you have for a small price of ten grand. Please no need to thank me, it is the least I could do for the man who got me into pipes from the get go.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've got over 30 pipes in my rotation. All of them are good smokers and I value my MM cobs as much as my more expensive briars.

If I had to pack up quickly to report back to the Mother Ship, I'd grab ALL of my tobacco and as many pipes as possible, including these two .....

1960s Skippy Prince Paneled Bulldog.

a1bb.jpg

1930-40s Dobbelmann Lincoln 25 Bulldog.

a1aha.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Dallas Wynn

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I'm a tactile person in that I can't stay with one shape or texture. I have about 25-30 pipes, and find that my tastes have changed and my collection reflects that.

Having said that, I tend to go for my Rick Black kinda Rhodesian/Bulldog Morta. It's not as refined as many artisan pipes. It's got some toxic masculinity in the design - and I like that. ?RB Rhode Morta 1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: PipesRock