PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I have five pipes. If I had to choose one it would be my Peterson Standard System 317 smooth, with army mount and nickel band. When I put it in my mouth everything goes grey and hazy, and time slows down. I guess I also turn invisible. ?

It's small for when I want a quick smoke and I can just refill it if I want more. It has a moisture catch to prevent gurgling from moist tobacco. I like the draw on it and the P-lip keeps the smoke from pointing directly at the tongue.

It also has an army mount so I don't have to worry about heat when pulling the stem off. The draft hole is really low so it doesn't miss any tobacco or get soggy. It's like the best thing since sliced rope. puffy

I am happy to read this because I just asked for input on Peterson System pipes in the ‘Pipe Talk’ forum. Ugh. I guess I need to start saving my pennies. This hobby never ends!:):confused:

Jun 23, 2019
Most people here tend to have a relatively large- over 30 pipes- collection.
Most of us have a smaller number out of the collection. A regular rotation.
But there is that one pipe that is you secret favorite. What is your absolute favorite and why?

The pipe of power...one pipe to rule them all.

Out of sheer coincidence, I was able to welcome my first Doctor's pipe into my collection to kick off the year. I had long admired Roman's ability with crazy bamboo roots and how effortlessly he can use them to his advantage in shaping a pipe. I've been waiting and watching for maybe a little over a year now to grab the right one:

WpT1l6Il.jpg

Not sure if I can fully explain why it's my favorite pipe but for starters it smokes like a dream and fits in my hand like a missing puzzle piece.

Mar 1, 2014
View attachment 22637
This is my favorite pipe, a 2005 Paolo Becker Pencil Shank, Stacked Lumberman. This was my dream pipe for a long time and for a lot of reasons: I admire the story of Paolo’s father, Fritz Becker (a Jew) and his escape from Nazi annihilation to become, amongst other things, one of the premier pipe makers in the world; I love Paolo’s take on this particular shape and his sand blast technique; I’m proud to own this pipe as they are so rare to come by on the estate market; but, most importantly, this is my favorite pipe because it taught me a very valuable lesson.....
View attachment 22638
.....it taught me how fast the things that we love can (literally) slip through our fingers.... Gam Zu L’tovah...

This is why I buy most of my pipes in duplicates.

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
The Savinelli 673ks model with rusticated finish is my favorite pipe; it is light but fills the hand comfortably, muscular and powerful in size. I prefer the draw in the Savinelli with a 9mm adapter instead of the balsa filter and the triangular shank and stem make alignment automatic. I smoke the Sav 673ks almost exclusively, not having a large collection. My collection consists of the Savinelli Oceano, Roma Lucite, Fantasia, and Tortuga all in the 673ks shape with rusticated finish, a Savinelli 404 zulu shape Porto Cervo rusticated (my quick smoke beater), and a Peterson 80s Aran rusticated fishtail. I plan to expand my collection with bulldogs from other makers before considering any other shapes, lately I have been considering a Falcon with rusticated bulldog bowl. I started my pipe journey buying only Peterson 03 bent apple shapes in a smooth finish but completely replaced my collection after discovering my first Sav 673ks (Oceano rusticated) at my local B&M. I enjoy collecting pipes, but the Sav 673ks rules them all.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Either my Millville smooth Dublin or Joby Black Rusticed Smooth, the latter of which was smoked so much when I got it that the chamber diameter had lost 2-3mm, which I went on to smoke hell out of. Both pipes were dedicated to that great Grandaddy of blends, Dark Flake, which at intervals I smoked exclusively for 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
My humble beater pipe a Peterson System Standard 317. It's like a loyal dog that's always there for you. It always smoke good and is great for clenching and on the go smoking while doing other stuff. I smoke it almost every day and will need to get a couple more 317 so it can rest sometimes.
20200322_063816.jpg

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
My humble beater pipe a Peterson System Standard 317. It's like a loyal dog that's always there for you. It always smoke good and is great for clenching and on the go smoking while doing other stuff. I smoke it almost every day and will need to get a couple more 317 so it can rest sometimes.
View attachment 23445
Where do you get the rubber pieces you have on your stem? What are they called?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Where do you get the rubber pieces you have on your stem? What are they called?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Most people here tend to have a relatively large- over 30 pipes- collection.
Most of us have a smaller number out of the collection. A regular rotation.
But there is that one pipe that is you secret favorite. What is your absolute favorite and why?

The pipe of power...one pipe to rule them all.
I have about 9 pipes, all of which I like very much. My cheapest pipe, a vintage Grabow I picked up for like 20 bucks has ended up being my daily goto for some reason. It smokes OGS well and Old Joe Krantz well which are 2 of my favorites. The bowl is smaller so I am likely to finish the whole thing. Its light so it's easy to clench. I love my others, but they just require a different focus. I can grab the Grabow and go. My favorite overall though would probably be my Peterson Killarny though I dont smoke it much. Its reserved for Oriental blends.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
For me its my P. Jeppesen pipe a joy to look at and smokes wonderful. Plus i have rather large hands and theses bigger pipes seem to fit naturally.

Attachments

• 15854885624181726673890.jpg
    15854885624181726673890.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: chopper