PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Just read this article in my local paper's website and it seems to have had a good outcome...so far anyway. About 15 years ago I was in a similar situation at a gas station at night; a man was slapping around a woman so I called the police but didn't get directly involved until he pulled a club out of the back seat of his car. Another gentleman and I pulled our guns and held him at gun point until the police got there...she probably would have been dead if we didn't.

If you see something disturbing, assess the situation intelligently, but don't be shy to contact authorities or do something about it...someone's life may depend on it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’ve been involved in numerous situations where I’ve had to intervene.

Careful quick assessment is the key. Do not step into third party encounters unless you absolutely know how many players are involved.

You do not need your focus on the aggressor only to have shitbird #2 get the drop on you

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
The problem with having a CCW permit is it’s a huge liability if you get involved, depending on the state.

If you approach them, the guy could threaten you, and you can’t just pull your gun on someone for something like that. He could throw a punch at you. You can’t exactly pull your gun for that either. Your life has to be in imminent danger. Let’s say he tackles you and wrestles with you. Well, they’re going to say, “Why did you get involved in the first place?” This is what happened with Zimmerman.

Always best to use extreme caution when carrying a firearm.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
The problem with having a CCW permit is it’s a huge liability if you get involved, depending on the state.

If you approach them, the guy could threaten you, and you can’t just pull your gun on someone for something like that. He could throw a punch at you. You can’t exactly pull your gun for that either. Your life has to be in imminent danger. Let’s say he tackles you and wrestles with you. Well, they’re going to say, “Why did you get involved in the first place?” This is what happened with Zimmerman.

That's why I waited for the club to come out, once he pulled that out, all bets were off.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
In my years as a bartender I've had to intervene in fights and various forms of abuse regularly. Hundreds of times I guess.
There was rarely any danger of someone getting killed, but who knows how a situation might escalade if noone intervenes.
Although people don't wear guns here, stuff like beer mugs or bottles can be dangerous weapons in a fight, and I've seen my share of blood.
Too much of such stuff is damaging to your soul. I can't imagine how bouncers and cops manage to stay sane through long careers.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
In my years as a bartender I've had to intervene in fights and various forms of abuse regularly. Hundreds of times I guess.
There was rarely any danger of someone getting killed, but who knows how a situation might escalade if noone intervenes.
Although people don't wear guns here, stuff like beer mugs or bottles can be dangerous weapons in a fight, and I've seen my share of blood.
Too much of such stuff is damaging to your soul. I can't imagine how bouncers and cops manage to stay sane through long careers.
Back the Blue (or whatever color uniform they wear where you are)...and others, please don't use this phrase to start off on politics...it is simply a phrase that shows support for law enforcement, nothing else.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
We have an on/off switch. It is essential! Flip it on. Deal with the situation. Flip it off. Next.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois

I dont really care for the ease at which everyone can get a ccw. I support the right to own and carry but most people that carry do not have the guts to pull the trigger. An example of this is my sister in law. She has no reason to carry one and an offender would probably take it from her and use it on her. I just think to many people carry as a false sense of security. My father told me the day I left for the service that the one thing he learned from Vietnam was once you pull the trigger that there is no taking it back and you will carry that all your life. He was right. My father never told war stories, it wasnt his way nor is it mine. I just wish people would think before they put that pistol on.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I dont really care for the ease at which everyone can get a ccw. I support the right to own and carry but most people that carry do not have the guts to pull the trigger. An example of this is my sister in law. She has no reason to carry one and an offender would probably take it from her and use it on her. I just think to many people carry as a false sense of security. My father told me the day I left for the service that the one thing he learned from Vietnam was once you pull the trigger that there is no taking it back and you will carry that all your life. He was right. My father never told war stories, it wasnt his way nor is it mine. I just wish people would think before they put that pistol on.
I agree to some extent. My wife and I range over 2,000 rounds a year and have taken several quick reaction training courses; my wife was also an amateur competition pistol shooting for about 7 or 8 years and we both have been carrying nearly our entire lives. Even though we have plenty of land at our house for shooting, we often go to the open air range in Yanceyville just to see some of the other guns out there that other shooters have, and the number of times someone would load their revolver while pointing it at someone else or the number of times some would rack the slide while pointing it at the range shelter roof/cover is too numerous to mention...when it comes to carrying a weapon, practice does make perfect and it also builds confidence in what to do if a situation does arise.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
just happy the last time I had to intervene it turned out to be a large bird. I was walking home and I heard what sounded like a young woman crying a little weird but fucked up.... You know like in a dark corner of a park at night. So I went oh shit I have to investigate and then a huge silhouette of a bird went flying out from that spot. So question anyone know what kind of bird sounds like a crying woman?? Maybe some kind of witch?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
just happy the last time I had to intervene it turned out to be a large bird. I was walking home and I heard what sounded like a young woman crying a little weird but fucked up.... You know like in a dark corner of a park at night. So I went oh shit I have to investigate and then a huge silhouette of a bird went flying out from that spot. So question anyone know what kind of bird sounds like a crying woman?? Maybe some kind of witch?
Rambo?

This is something that weighs heavily on me as well. Your father sounds a lot like all of the members of my family that have gone to war. My grandfather was a WW2 vet, and he couldn't even stand to see us kids running around with toy guns.
My religious back ground has always made me question using a gun for self defense. I own guns, and at times when I have to transport large amounts of cash or jewelry, I do carry one. But, it has seriously weighed on my soul whether I wouldn't rather die knowing that I will enter God's kingdom untarnished, as opposed to killing and serving eternal damnation. Everyone has to make their own choices though. Dying, isn't the worst thing that could happen to me. And, getting robbed is preferable to either. How much money is eternity worth?

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
This is something that weighs heavily on me as well. Your father sounds a lot like all of the members of my family that have gone to war. My grandfather was a WW2 vet, and he couldn't even stand to see us kids running around with toy guns.
My religious back ground has always made me question using a gun for self defense. I own guns, and at times when I have to transport large amounts of cash or jewelry, I do carry one. But, it has seriously weighed on my soul whether I wouldn't rather die knowing that I will enter God's kingdom untarnished, as opposed to killing and serving eternal damnation. Everyone has to make their own choices though. Dying, isn't the worst thing that could happen to me. And, getting robbed is preferable to either. How much money is eternity worth?

If it was in self defense Jesus wouldn’t send you into eternal damnation. So you can rest easy on that. Even if you did murder someone, if you truly felt sorry about it and asked the Lord’s forgiveness, then you would be forgiven. Jesus came to this earth to die for our sins.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
It's a sasquatch most definitely! They've been known to imitate both birds and screaming women before! You should have done a tree knock...but you screwed up and missed that chance!

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I'll be honest with ya, I have more problems killing an innocent deer; there was once a politician from South Carolina (don't ask me who, I heard this when I was young over 50 years ago and it very well could be wives tale) that said while being asked a question during an interview about why homicide rates in the south were so high and without missing a beat he said (and I'm paraphrasing) 'because son, even though I'm sure some of those were innocent people which is a bad thing, other people just need killin'. I also agree with an earlier post that if it is truly for self defense or the defense of someone else, then god understands...otherwise, everyone in the military that has killed is in hell as well.

I'll be honest with ya, I have more problems killing an innocent deer; there was once a politician from South Carolina (don't ask me who, I heard this when I was young over 50 years ago and it very well could be wives tale) that said while being asked a question during an interview about why homicide rates in the south were so high and without missing a beat he said (and I'm paraphrasing) 'because son, even though I'm sure some of those were innocent people which is a bad thing, other people just need killin'. I also agree with an earlier post that if it is truly for self defense or the defense of someone else, then god understands...otherwise, everyone in the military that has killed is in hell as well.
I salivate when I see a deer, because I see it as food. I treat it with respect, and I don't lord around pictures of it as a trophy, and I give thanks for it... but I don't see it the same way I see another human.

Everyone down here knows why we have high homicide rates in Birmingham. And, it is in Bham, not the entire state. It is because in the heat of the summer, people's trigger get snappy. If you looked at the numbers or where and when murders happen. It is in the peak off summer on the asphalt jungles of run down Bham. Hot ass day, some rich guy cuts you off in traffic, pow. And, that is a fact. This is discussed in the news every summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.