PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
As mentioned by most, anything really can be an all day blend. depends on an individual. For me, an all day blend is anything I feel like smoking all day. It can be a heavy latakia blend if that's the mood or a light codger blend when the mood for some Prince Albert or Half and Half strikes

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I guess by all day you are referring to what I call a good "mowing the lawn" tobacco. Interesting, but not 1 with a ton of subtlety and nuance in the flavors that I have to really pay attention or feel like I am missing out on something. No real prep/drying, not too many relights, just a good smoke that can burn while getting stuff done. ....

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think it has to do with repeatability.
@jiminks will of the say something to the effect of "not an all day smoke, but repeatable".
I've always taken an all day blend to be something that you can smoke from morning to evening, and not be overwhelmed. Either by nicotine, or strength. I would also think, for most it would also have to be something that wasn't boring either.
This really sums it up, I think. I never smoke the same thing all day...but I smoke a lot of stuff that I could smoke all day.
It doesn't have to be some low end blend, either. Capstan Original and McCranie's Red Ribbon immediately come to mind as blends that could be all day smokes.
It's sorta like good jazz...I can play some at a low volume and just let it go...or I can choose to really listen, and say, damn, that sounds like Paul Chambers doing that bass solo...holy cow, listen to that! A good all day smoke is the same way. puffy

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I’ve never been more disappointed with humanity than reading this thread.

All these so called “connoisseurs” and not one mention of the King of Tobacco - Granger!!

it’s almost unfathomable and preposterous.
I popped a tub a few weeks ago and am coming to the same conclusion. My current "go to" when I can't be troubled to choose another. I've got about a 5:1 ratio going, Granger to anything else. Hadn't tasted it in decades.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I smoke what I feel like, and don't set arbitrary confines on what I can smoke and when.

The main thing keeping me from smoking any blend all day is that I don't want to only smoke one blend repeatedly.

There have been temporary exceptions to this, of course.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve never been more disappointed with humanity than reading this thread.

All these so called “connoisseurs” and not one mention of the King of Tobacco - Granger!!

it’s almost unfathomable and preposterous.
Man you and the @Grangerous are really talking this blend up. They really need to sell pouches of this stuff already, more people would be willing to try it out. Last time I made a blind purchase on a tub was Ed G Robinson and that stuff just rips my mouth up on first light every time.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Recently we were going through my grandmother's estate, the whole family came down. There was an 8x10 picture of my grandfather at work, all the guys lined up at the office after some important project was complete. In most of the desks in view was an ashtray. Those desks had small cigarette boxes, small humidors full of cigars, or a tub of favorite codger. Even the secretary's desk had a pack of Marlboros.

That got me thinking, what does an all day smoke mean? I can't smoke inside anywhere anymore. Between small children in the house and smoking bands in public, I can't smoke all day. A pipe to and from work, one during work (split up throughout the day), and maybe 2 in the evening. That's 5 pipes a day if I push it, which I usually don't. Generally 4 a day so I can see the toddler before she goes to bed. And they're so spread out that I think Five Bros could conceivably be an all day smoke in that circumstance.

For me, C&D Oriental Silk with my coffee on the way to work and Field and Stream Match after dinner. Anything else is pretty much whatever I feel like at the moment. Best of both worlds!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve always thought of an “all day blend” as something I would willingly smoke more than one bowl of per day, either for reasons of comfort or economy. Obviously, there’s a whole lot of subjective decision making going on there. For me, most of the blends I like could be all day blends, but I usually want some variety if I’m going to be smoking more than one bowl in a day (I average about 3.5 bowls per week). For someone like me, what I consider not to be an all day blend is more important. GLP Barbary Coast is one; I love the flavor, but I find it quite strong and when I’m done with one bowl, I generally won’t reach for it again for months. McClelland Christmas Cheer is something I could very easily repeat, but even before the demise of McClelland that was a special occasion smoke for me. That categorization is only amplified by my desire to stretch out my current stocks of CC for years to come.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Granger came up, so I report the historical fact that my father smoked it all day, every day, increasingly, from the age of 15 to the age of 65 when he quit cold turkey for a second career campus job he enjoyed. His smoking Granger included the time he was skipper of a YMS minesweeper in the Philippines during WWII. After that, when I arrived, I personally observed this all-day smoke, such that when I took up a pipe in my thirties, I pretty much knew the drill just from watching him. In most other cases, I take the idiom all-day smoke as a way of saying a blend is well tolerated, not a nicotine bomb, and not full of bite. You could smoke it all day, if you do that. My dad did. He smoked it only from the foil pouch, and on the rare occasions when someone gave him a tub, he'd fill his foil pouches from the tub. He only owned one functioning pipe at a time, until burn-out, then buy another at the newsstand in the lobby of his office building.

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Granger came up, so I report the historical fact that my father smoked it all day, every day, increasingly, from the age of 15 to the age of 65 when he quit cold turkey for a second career campus job he enjoyed. His smoking Granger included the time he was skipper of a YMS minesweeper in the Philippines during WWII. After that, when I arrived, I personally observed this all-day smoke, such that when I took up a pipe in my thirties, I pretty much knew the drill just from watching him. In most other cases, I take the idiom all-day smoke as a way of saying a blend is well tolerated, not a nicotine bomb, and not full of bite. You could smoke it all day, if you do that. My dad did. He smoked it only from the foil pouch, and on the rare occasions when someone gave him a tub, he'd fill his foil pouches from the tub. He only owned one functioning pipe at a time, until burn-out, then buy another at the newsstand in the lobby of his office building.
You seem to be like the only other person who likes Spilman's Mixture!

Its been my all day every day since I discovered it! ha!

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
A blend that is easy on the wallet, easy on the tongue, easy of on the strength/nic hit and is casually enjoyable. I smoke several bowels of the same blend but generally mix it up between a few different ones through out the day. Most OTC Burleys and some of the aros fit the all-day model for the stated reasons.