PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
What makes an all day blend an all day blend? I recently have been trying a few bulks so I don't smoke up my rare stuff. Grabbed some Luxury Navy Flake. That stuff is pretty darn good. Is it better than my rare stuff, no, but in a wierd way, maybe. It's exceptionally smooth with a great flavor. While smoking it I kept thinking, this is an all day blend but I don't know why. The price, yes. But also something else. Like it's generic goodness and overall high quality? What does it mean to you? And what are your all day blends?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Capstan Blue, St Bruno, Hal o' The Wynd, Amphora Red, MacBaren Mixture Scottish Blend, McConnells Scottish Cake.
As to the meaning of an "all day blend", to me it is a blend that I might smoke any time of day and one that is mild enough that I might smoke more than one bowl of it.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My all day blend is one that I can scoop it out of the tin, press lightly, light and forget about everything else. I don't want to worry about cadence, or a hot pipe or am I going to get tongue bite. I just want to enjoy a good smoke and get a nice nutty, woodsy, earthy taste. I guess you can tell I'm a Burley lover. My all day smokes are Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh and Half and Half. Are they the ultimate smoking experience? Probably not, but they are what I need to get me through the day.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
When I first started, I was chasing nicotine because I quit chewing and dipping, and mostly quit cigars, so it was Peterson Irish Flake for quite a while.
Then I became pretty enamored with Arango Balkan Supreme and smoked it all day when working on knives. That went on for about a month, I reckon. Then I smoked PS Luxury Navy Flake the same way for about another month.
I eventually branched out, but there are several I have smoked all day.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
It all depends on what your preferences are and just how strong a tobacco you like. An all day blend can be anything and everything. I think that's what's so interesting about tobaccos and pipe smoking. My all day blend is C&D Night Train....... but also Penzance.... and Dan Tobaccos's Patriot Flake and ........ the list goes on and on......

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I've got 150+ blends in the closet and spend most of the time smoking C&D Engine 382 and Sutliff TS24.
I was the same a few decades ago but then blends with similar components just became too similar.
So what does that mean really? That you may as well smoke the same thing cause picking another would basically be the same?

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I've enjoyed different tobaccos at different times of day. For instance, St Bruno for me is a morning smoke. I cant really enjoy that outside of the morning. Heavy lat, nighttime. I typically reach for SG Navy or Bothy when it seems like rain. Wierd maybe, but its my hankering. I recently tried Ennerdale and damn if that flavor, to me, suits any time of day, hot or cool outside, I'm so surprised at that creation. Today trying luxury navy for the first time, the smoothness and flavor felt all day worthy, but not sure I'd grab it first thing in the morning or at night.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I think it has to do with repeatability.
@jiminks will of the say something to the effect of "not an all day smoke, but repeatable".
I've always taken an all day blend to be something that you can smoke from morning to evening, and not be overwhelmed. Either by nicotine, or strength. I would also think, for most it would also have to be something that wasn't boring either.

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
For me, it would be LJ Pretty Cuban Mixture. However, variety is the spice of life and I couldn't smoke the same blend for very long, maybe a day or two but not longer, call me a privileged smoker. I think that it really depends on your stash and repetition stamina, for some all day smoke can be Penzance and for others Granger.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Blends in most genres aren't significantly different enough for me to invest much space for them in the collection.
Yeah, a have tons of jars in different genres with only 2-4 ounces in them, but I usually only have one or two blends from each genre that have pounds stocked up in the cellar. I tend to experiment within a genre until I find something I think is a winner, and then stock up.