PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Still mourning, I must admit, the theft in London of my 1940 Martin D-28 herringbone, some three decades after the event. But I've consoled myself happily enough with three mahogany/Adirondack Collings dreads bought new between 1997 and 2008. And really cannot say enough good things about the Austin Texas company.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Still mourning, I must admit, the theft in London of my 1940 Martin D-28 herringbone, some three decades after the event. But I've consoled myself happily enough with three mahogany/Adirondack Collings dreads bought new between 1997 and 2008. And really cannot say enough good things about the Austin Texas company.
I love Collings and have one of their mandolins. I was fortunate enough to tour the factory a few years ago. It's a top-notch organization, and looks like a very cool place to work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good acoustic music is the staple of "Back Porch Music" on WUNC radio, Fri. and Sat. 8 p.m. to midnight, and Sunday 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., streamed on your smart speaker. Blues to bluegrass, folk, international, and so on.

The first concert I heard free in the student union in grad school in N.C. was Andre Segovia. What a surprise and what a treat. I was just out of the Navy, out a few weeks early so I could start school. Life was looking up.

keithnelmr

Lurker
Feb 19, 2022
Here's me playing my latest acquisition. A 1935 D-18. It's the best sounding 30's model in my flattop collection.

I took up playing only last year but my teacher says I'm doing OK.

PS --- I'm using a fake name and wearing an uber-high-tech VTS (Visual Transformation Suit) so that I look different in this video, but I assure you it's really me.

Since I got my ULTRA back in 2008 GAS is shifting towards guitars and this time I would like to get an electro-acoustic guitar but since I've always used only acoustic guitars (mainly in studio so with mics and so on) I need advice on Acoustic guitars what I have to look for (brand, model, specifics, pick up systems etc). I tried a couple of Yamaha models but they didn't excite me. Use: mainly live. Budget is 1000€ (1350$). Thanks
Since I got my ULTRA back in 2008 GAS is shifting towards guitars and this time I would like to get an electro-acoustic guitar but since I've always used only acoustic guitars (mainly in the studio so with mics and so on) I need advice on what I have to look for (brand, model, specifics, pick up systems, etc). I tried a couple of Yamaha models but they didn't excite me. Use: mainly live. The budget is 1000€ (1350$). Thanks

Reactions: Latakia Dave
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I have 5, but this is my baby - a 2019 Martin HD-28 with antique tuning pegs. Had to get a herringbone, as it's always been my dream box.
Also have a 1920s parlor and a 2012 D18, and a Sigma SD18 with an enlarged sound hole (like Clarence White/Tony Rice) and a Blue Ridge.
Next on my list is a Tony Rice Santz Cruz Pro Model. Sold my standard in a pinch and will never live it down. Hopefully I've tracked one down.
We've also.got mandolins and banjos and dobro, fiddles, bass, piano, electrics guitars, drums, etc. My goal is that one of my 3 kids will find at least one instrument they want to play haha.

But yeah, here's my daily driver for jam sessions and recording. Its a herringbone alright, and she sings. Bluegrass or Jazz, shes perfect. Actually traded a 2013 HD28 for this one. 20230226_200029.jpg20230226_200104.jpg20230226_200145.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find acoustic guitar a more inviting sound than electric, more nuanced and refined. Electric guitar is just as adaptable and has vast potential, but unfortunately, that amp volume tempts all but the most advanced musicians to crank it up and flirt with hearing loss for all those listening. For a reference on how electric guitar might be played, we have the recordings of Les Paul's long career, especially since he was one of the primary inventors of the electric guitar as an instrument.

I'm saying all this as a person who can't strum anything beyond three or four chords on the uke. I'm only in the audience. One of the worst concert experiences I ever had was when John Mellencamp touring with Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan, did his set between the two and cranked up the amp so high, people put in ear plugs or went under the grandstand to block the sound. It was an auditory horror show.

One of my favorite guitar artists is the late Dr. Gary Davis who is often cited as sounding like two or three instruments playing at once and has taught a number of today's guitar virtuosos in the blues.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, I think that's Rev. Gary Davis, not so sure about the doctorate. Anyway, on the guitar, few can match him.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Surely there are some guitar players here. I have both electric and acoustic guitars, but much prefer acoustic. What sort of acoustic guitars do you own? I'm a Larrivee player myself.
I’m an “electric” guy at heart, but I have a Gibson Hummingbird (1974), Martin HD-28 (2005), Taylor K20CE (2004), and an Epiphone J160E that I picked up at a guitar show (date unknown), because: The Beatles.