PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have a Martin, Gibson and Alvarez acoustic. But My favorite guitar of all time is my Cordoba. I've had this guitar once and sold it. Then repurchased it cause I missed it so much. I still have a Fender Strat, but I play acoustic 99 percent of the time.

Been playing for 27 years. I stopped learning other people's songs over a decade ago, and just write my own.

PXL_20221008_133614240.MP.jpg

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I have a Martin, Gibson and Alvarez acoustic. But My favorite guitar of all time is my Cordoba. I've had this guitar once and sold it. Then repurchased it cause I missed it so much. I still have a Fender Strat, but I play acoustic 99 percent of the time.

Been playing for 27 years. I stopped learning other people's songs over a decade ago, and just write my own.

View attachment 173697
Nice looking guitar, and it's funny that someone should post a picture of a nylon string, as I've been recently toying with the idea of getting a nylon string guitar myself. I play alone at home (I might take my guitar to a party once a year or so) and a nylon string seems like just the thing for that. I had a (very) cheap Alvarez classical years ago that was beautiful but would not hold tune. I've seen the Cordobas in stores but have never picked one up. What is it that draws you to a classical for the bulk of your playing?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Nice looking guitar, and it's funny that someone should post a picture of a nylon string, as I've been recently toying with the idea of getting a nylon string guitar myself. I play alone at home (I might take my guitar to a party once a year or so) and a nylon string seems like just the thing for that. I had a (very) cheap Alvarez classical years ago that was beautiful but would not hold tune. I've seen the Cordobas in stores but have never picked one up. What is it that draws you to a classical for the bulk of your playing?
Good question.

I have long fingers. Electric guitar necks are too skinny and uncomfortable. Nylon string necks are so much wider. Also, nylon strings seem to be louder side by side with steel. They to me are Easier to play, doesn't take as much pressure to hit the frets.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Good question.

I have long fingers. Electric guitar necks are too skinny and uncomfortable. Nylon string necks are so much wider. Also, nylon strings seem to be louder side by side with steel. They to me are Easier to play, doesn't take as much pressure to hit the frets.
I really like the look of a nylon string guitar with a cutaway, but most of them come with electronics, which I have no use for and don't want to pay the extra money for. And I tend to dislike the look of the EQ on the side of the guitar body.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I toured the Martin Guitar factory in Nazaeth, Penn a while back. Really neat place if you're into acoustic guitars. Here are some pics I took.

(FYI: Non multa sed multum / "Quality not quantity")

Attachments

• 6B5F43CE-EFCA-4EA9-ABAE-E66DA249A175.jpg
    6B5F43CE-EFCA-4EA9-ABAE-E66DA249A175.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 2
  • A1AF725E-48CD-4719-84B5-A6FC5A8D3798.jpg
    A1AF725E-48CD-4719-84B5-A6FC5A8D3798.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6463.jpg
    IMG_6463.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6475.jpg
    IMG_6475.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6509.jpg
    IMG_6509.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6517.jpg
    IMG_6517.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 2

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I really like the look of a nylon string guitar with a cutaway, but most of them come with electronics, which I have no use for and don't want to pay the extra money for. And I tend to dislike the look of the EQ on the side of the guitar body.
Yes similar to the "hybrid" classical guitars. A lot of those do have the skinnier necks for those who prefer it.

I like your Larrivee's. There's just something beautiful about an old fashioned dreadnaught.

The only dreadnaught is my Alvarez 12 string.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I have three at the moment an Ibanez "Parlor" small acoustic which looks nice but sounds tinny, an old Yamaha nylon string guitar and my 1971 Harmony Sovereign. While Harmony was sometimes looked down upon the Sovereign is a beautiful big dreadnought. I changed the machine heads to a German chrome back in the 70s. Big sound, great guitar. They sell for fairly good money these days. Jimmy Page played his Harmony Sovereign on the acoustic parts of "Stairway to Heaven". John Sebastian played his at woodstock "Darlin be Home Soon" and "I had a dream last night".

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I'm mainly an Electric lead guitar player but I have played and owned many acoustics over 26 years of playing. I prefer Martin acoustic guitars. Too many acoustics sound paper thin and just feel bad even with a proper set up. All my Martin's have that deep rich sound I'm looking for with a acoustic and play so easily.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Here's me playing my latest acquisition. A 1935 D-18. It's the best sounding 30's model in my flattop collection.

I took up playing only last year but my teacher says I'm doing OK.

PS --- I'm using a fake name and wearing an uber-high-tech VTS (Visual Transformation Suit) so that I look different in this video, but I assure you it's really me.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
That's
Here's me playing my latest acquisition. A 1935 D-18. It's the best sounding 30's model in my flattop collection.

I took up playing only last year but my teacher says I'm doing OK.

PS --- I'm using a fake name and wearing an uber-high-tech VTS (Visual Transformation Suit) so that I look different in this video, but I assure you it's really me.

That's _not bad_ for a year or so in. Hey, soon you'll be able to play 'Oh Susanna' and 'You Are My Sunshine' with no trouble. Hang in there!

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I always wanted a Gibson. When the time came to finally buy a somewhat decent guitar I played them all. After doing so, I just had to buy a Martin. My next purchase will be a D-28 HD (scalloped bracing). I was impressed with Seagulls too, bang-for-buck.
Seagulls are a serious bang-for-buck guitar. One of my friends had a cedar-top 12-string from Seagull and it was really nice. It kind of sounded like a waterfall when he played it - very shimmery and chorus-y.