PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I don't want to get an argument going, but I will suggest comparing the Opinel Inox (stainless) to the carbon. It is 12c27 which is a fine grained stainless which acts a lot like carbon steel. Opinel's carbon is slightly soft. The Opinel carbon will take a finer edge, but roll easily. 12c27 will take an edge nearly as fine, but hold that edge much longer.

I am a carbon steel lover myself. My collection is heavy on USA Schrade Old Timers and modded Opinel Inox #8's. (old locking ring style of course, but one can of worms at a time)

wa', cha', wej, Ha'!

And here is the no 6 for size comparison. It’s really hard until you have it in hand to visualize the sizes even when you read the measurements.
View attachment 14432

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have the blackend Inox #8 on the way with oak handle. I figured that would be a carry knife these are more for playing around. The 12 I think is beefy enough.. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with it.
I really like the edge on the carbone.. insanely sharp from the box.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
But seriously, I use a Chef's Knife to cut the "sheets" into more manageable cubes and then use a Spyderco or Buck knife to slice off the cubes and prepare for smoking.

I adore the Spyderco Endura. It’s my EDC knife and I've carried one for years. Lightweight, never had a problem with rusting, will keep a super sharp edge and can be deployed in a literal snap.

Reactions: BROBS and python

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Spyderco Endura

That's the one that I have. Great knife. The only problem that I have is that the plastic molded pocket clip has stretched out over the years and is not tight enough to stay clipped in the pocket anymore, so I can't carry it anymore for risk of losing it.

That is why it is now stationed with by tobacco for cutting up plugs, cakes, and ropes. But for it being over 20 years old, it's held up fabulously except for that one thing.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
That's the one that I have. Great knife. The only problem that I have is that the plastic molded pocket clip has stretched out over the years and is not tight enough to stay clipped in the pocket anymore, so I can't carry it anymore for risk of losing it.

That is why it is now stationed with by tobacco for cutting up plugs, cakes, and ropes. But for it being over 20 years old, it's held up fabulously except for that one thing.

I had the exact same experience with that older Endura with the molded clip (same as the one you’re referring to?). It’s now for general use. Then the next model had the clip which eventually came unscrewed ??‍♂️.

So far my Endura 4 has held up like a champ. I’ve actually got around eight Enduras because I lose them, buy a new one and like magic the lost ones re-appear. lol

Thank God I’ve never lost my other EDC item! ?

Reactions: BROBS and python

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
No, the brand is Frost Cutlery. They look very similar to the ones in your photo. Probably mass produced made in china knives that they just put different manufacturer names on them.
Joking. Play on the brand "Sebenza". I have a couple of those "jar knives" myself, for when I practice knife abuse. I keep one sitting in the back porch smoking area rain/shine, winter/summer for whittling sticks, reaming bowls, etc.

Spyderco's are awesome knives. Generally have a thin profile and a full, flat, grind which would make them great plug knives.

Jan 5, 2020
I normally go with an Opinel #12 for plugs and ropes. Cuts through with minimal effort, large enough to control, and doesn't bend a whole lot.

Edit: Spelling/autocorrect

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.