PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I fell for this, too. I have just used a single edged razor blade for years. I have always thought about a purpose specific knife for this and this thread pushed my button. I have the Opinel #10 Carbone arriving tomorrow. I was leaning toward the number 9 but, they were not going to be in stock for a couple of weeks. Since it is going to be just for plugs and cakes and not EDC, I think the size will be fine. I opted for the carbon over stainless. As inexpensive as these knives are, I can afford a little trial and error if I am not totally satisfied.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I fell for this, too. I have just used a single edged razor blade for years. I have always thought about a purpose specific knife for this and this thread pushed my button. I have the Opinel #10 Carbone arriving tomorrow. I was leaning toward the number 9 but, they were not going to be in stock for a couple of weeks. Since it is going to be just for plugs and cakes and not EDC, I think the size will be fine. I opted for the carbon over stainless. As inexpensive as these knives are, I can afford a little trial and error if I am not totally satisfied.
well then I would probably get a 5, 12, 9, 6, etc just to see rotf

the 8 is a really good size for pocket and they have some nice "special editions" like that black one shown above.. that's an 8.

Reactions: dcon

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
We will see how this first one goes. After watching a bunch of YouTube videos I felt I might want to mod a couple. I am so far behind on my cob mods that I am sure that is a bad idea...

• Haha

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would say you probably need a set from #3 to #12. They sell a box that comes with every size. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: dcon

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have a Bear and Son knife just like that.. so close in fact that they must have copied the GEC. Don’t like it nearly as much as the Opinels.

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
I use something a little like this
HTB1CFsSPpXXXXXMaXXXq6xXFXXXd.jpg

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
+1 For the French opinel knife.

Cheap. Thin, strong, sharp blade. Comes in every size. Also check out the rounded tip version, which can be used for bowl reaming/cake removal.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
My primary hobbies are cooking and Chinese tea brewing, so I use a paring knife which is always sitting by my desk for cutting a plug or breaking into a traditional "cake" of Chinese tea(huge, stone pressed rock hard disks or bricks of tea which you need to chip off with a sharp flat instrument).

UB8oLbQ.png

The tea looks like this, if you're curious:

• Love
Reactions: lelik and rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.