PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't smoke a ton of plugs but do occasionally such as SG Full Virginia Plug, Kendall Plug and St James Plug and recenly, Wessex Gold Brick. I like a lot of things about plug except cutting the slices off. Recently been using a large nicer kitchen knife that is very sharp and has a very slight serration. I kind of saw the slice off. Looked at those Ulu knives but they seem like a bit of overkill in terms of size and the ones I've looked at don't have the really high grade carbon steel that will hold an edge for a longer time.

What have you folks used that works best?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a plug cutter that is available to everyone at a moderate price, I'd recommend one of the smaller Opinel with a single carbon steel blade, French made, simple, and effective. Many loftier blades are used, but this will do the job.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
For a plug cutter that is available to everyone at a moderate price, I'd recommend one of the smaller Opinel with a single carbon steel blade, French made, simple, and effective. Many loftier blades are used, but this will do the job.

I have an Opinel. Yes, it will get the job done. However, it is a bit flimsy and doesn't hold an edge very long when cutting plugs. I've got mild arthritis in my hands and wrists. I'm looking for something that makes it as easy as possible.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Ulu knife makes it so effortless it’s like magic. Easy on the hands and very little pressure required.
Any jack knife will work but I’ve always been worried about the amount of pressure and a slip could send a guy to the ER to have a finger tip sewed back on.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I'd prefer something that doesn't take up space but that does look very interesting and not terribly expensive. And it certainly looks like it will work well. Is that blade fairly sharp? How thin width wise can the plug be and that will still work?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'd prefer something that doesn't take up space but that does look very interesting and not terribly expensive. And it certainly looks like it will work well. Is that blade fairly sharp? How thin width wise can the plug be and that will still work?
The blade is razor sharp. Enough to make me nervous. The swing arm feels fairly robust, with a nice heft to it. You can make the slices as thin as you want. The trick is lining the plug up properly and parallel to the blade so that the slices end up are uniform in thickness (this is probably more difficult cutting freehand with a knife).

I've haven't gotten to the end of a plug yet so I don't know how much you can slice of a plug before you have to use a knife on the remnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.