PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The blade is razor sharp. Enough to make me nervous. The swing arm feels fairly robust, with a nice heft to it. You can make the slices as thin as you want. The trick is lining the plug up properly and parallel to the blade so that the slices end up are uniform in thickness (this is probably more difficult cutting freehand with a knife).

I've haven't gotten to the end of a plug yet so I don't know how much you can slice of a plug before you have to use a knife on the remnant.

Thanks!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
my main problem with a knife is getting the exact thickness I want.
I tried to slice off a coin of curly block and I got a pretty damn thick coin lol
I had similar trouble with the knife on ropes so I got a cheap($3) cigar cutter from Amazon that works really well. I can consistently cut thin coins that rub out to a nice shag. I had misplaced it for a few days and that's when I tried the straight razor. I was surprised when it worked just as well as the 'gar cutter. I just keep my fingernails against the blade like I was chiffonading and I get a very consistent fine cut.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
A short blade sashimi knife is the way to go for me.
They have a single bevel, in either left or right hand.
A western beveled knife usually has 2 levels meeting in the middle of the blade, where the Japanese blades slice very evenly down the length of the cut because of the single bevel. Designed specifically for slicing thin even pieces off the end of whatever you're cutting

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
if I bring one more more massive item into this old house, the whole thing will sink below view and lodge in the basalt beneath.

I'm having the same problem, with a safe full of boomsticks, crates of surplus ammo and cases of mason jars all stacked in one corner of the house. I fully expect to come home one day and find the opposite corner up in the air!

(optical illusion. Look at the trees. Pic actually taken on angle)

Jun 9, 2018
England
I use a Kuhn Rikon mini cleaver (about 7 inches long) that cost £10.
I got the idea from watching a YouTube video of Glynn Quelch (former owner of GQ Tobaccos) discussing the various cuts of tobacco and how to prepare them. He used one in the video and I thought if it was good enough for him it would do for me, so far its worked a treat and obviously doesn't take up any space.
I would love one of those antique plug cutters though.
Anyway here's a pic of the mini cleaver:

When I'm away from home I use my Rodgers gentleman's pipe knife. Which makes me a gentleman obviously.

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't deal with plugs often, but since I had mentioned in another thread I was thinking of using a skiving knife to cut them, I decided to actually try it.

I'm impressed:

I can slice them any thickness I want all the way to paper thin with minimal effort. I just have to make sure the non-beveled edge is towards the plug and that the knife is perpendicular to the cutting board.

These knifes don't come with an actual sheath, but with a plastic cover which the knife itself can end up slicing easily. So, a leather sheath will have to be made for them.

Hey, you wanted something that looked interesting, that was cheap, and didn't take up space, right? ☺

Craft Sha 36mm Japanese Traditional Lethercraft Skiver & Utility Leather Knife | Goods Japan | Japanese Leathercraft Tools, Home & Garden, PMC Art Clay, Wood Carving Tools, Home Decor, Knives & More! - https://www.goodsjapan.com/craft-sha-36mm-japanese-traditional-lethercraft-skiver-utility-leather-knife/a-19138

Might not be your cup of tea, but I think I really want one of these exclusively for tobacco now. They come very sharp and the steel is good quality. Still, doesn't hurt to strop them regularly. And even the best steel will eventually need to be introduced to Arkansas Soft and Arkansas Hard.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Opinel here, but not a major plug or cake slicer.

Now, a new problem, and not the mold, covered in another thread. The brick of Pirate Kake is four years old, and feels like particle board! But it still has reasonable moisture, ca. 55% RH. A plug cutter would be idea, but I also have a hacksaw and a Sawzall somewhere.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I have enjoyed following this thread as it gives me more things to try with my knives. But for all my plugs I just tear a chunk off by hand and rub it out. Ropes get the cigar cutter. I will try a knife next time. I am thinking my S30V Buck will be perfect for this task.

Oct 7, 2016
Small 7 inch Ulu knife from Alaskan Knife works does just fine since I switched to it from a straight razor a few years ago. They also sell a sharpener designed for the blade, which I have had to use once or twice in maybe two years, much less often than I had to sharpen the razor. But I just shave off what I need for a bowl or two and rub it out. I have never worried about cutting into precise coins, exact flakes, folding and stuffing, burping and belching, etc. But a really sharp pocket knife works fine, too.

Reactions: Friendly Piper
Status
Not open for further replies.