PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I see both sides of the argument. Short supplies of highly sought after items create highly inflated prices such that only people with piles of money can afford to play and everyone else can pound sand or go through extra effort to find supplies at "normal" prices. There's little to no fairness, which matters to some and not to others.

In the case of star fucker tobacco blends, it's mostly a self inflicted wound. People have been raving about these blends, practically imbuing them with supernatural attributes. As a result, other people have been coughing up considerable extra money to buy them for many, many years creating a market for inflated prices and speculation. It's largely an emotional,rather than a rational market. I'd put the sellers on the rational side of it, taking advantage of a situation that might flame out some day.

In the case of Esoterica blends, the competition has only grown fiercer, with less product actually reaching the retail market because some tobacconists are cashing in on their shipments by selling them to private agents The environment is much more intense than it was even a couple of years ago and feels like it's accelerating. Short of a meteorite striking the planet and causing a worldwide extinction event I don't see that changing any time soon.

Tinbids provides a place for people to sell their blends and some go for considerable amounts of money while others, that may be just a good, but not as "desirable" sell for a little more or a little less than they cost new. Nobody is being forced at gunpoint to pay these kinds of prices. It's a choice.

Still, it can be frustrating to be confronted with this situation and I get that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m only referring to the popular unicorn brands/prices on Tinbids.

In the two years I’ve been here, I have been regularly seeing the prices here, and I will agree, the Lurker types, who float in here once an a while, I’ve seen them selling jacked up prices.

But for the most part, I’ve not seen the majority of sellers, selling this high here on the forum.

These are just a few examples on Tinbids right now, with prices on recent fresh blends, I’ve not seen prices sold here.

View attachment 192448

View attachment 192449

Look, don’t take me wrong here, people are allowed to do whatever they want.

The point I’m trying to make, especially for our new/newer less educated pipe smoker, is that I find this really sad. They come into our world, want to get a pipe and some tobacco, just to want to try something like this, and it can be really be depressing to people.

We all know how hard it is to get many of the so called Unicorns, some people also call them the Unobtainum, we all get it. The point being, it’s not always about buying the prestigious blend, it’s only about wishing you can simply try it, after all, it’s only tobacco.
I noticed that these listings have 0 bids.

Aug 1, 2012
You should try that early stuff. Makes the current stuff look even crappier. That was some really outstanding tobacco!
I've got 3 old-ish tins of And So To Bed left as well as some old-ish Pelican. It has so far been worlds better than even 2012-2018 stuff I've tried. I can see where it got the mythical reputation.

Reactions: sablebrush52

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina

In the two years I’ve been here, I have been regularly seeing the prices here, and I will agree, the Lurker types, who float in here once an a while, I’ve seen them selling jacked up prices.

But for the most part, I’ve not seen the majority of sellers, selling this high here on the forum.

These are just a few examples on Tinbids right now, with prices on recent fresh blends, I’ve not seen prices sold here.

View attachment 192448

View attachment 192449

The point I’m trying to make, especially for our new/newer less educated pipe smoker, is that I find this really sad. They come into our world, want to get a pipe and some tobacco, just to want to try something like this, and it can be really be depressing to people.

We all know how hard it is to get many of the so called Unicorns, some people also call them the Unobtainum, we all get it. The point being, it’s not always about buying the prestigious blend, it’s only about wishing you can simply try it, after all, it’s only tobacco.
I absolutely agree. The third party prices are exorbitant. These folks aren't doing anything wrong but it's not ccol. Many of us are not fortunate to live near a B&M where I have personally purchased most of my Esoterica. If I had to rely on online retailers, I wouldn't have a fraction of those blends.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I absolutely agree. The third party prices are exorbitant. These folks aren't doing anything wrong but it's not ccol. Many of us are not fortunate to live near a B&M where I have personally purchased most of my Esoterica. If I had to rely on online retailers, I wouldn't have a fraction of those blends.

Since living out here, I’ve read that’s it’s the most remote place in the world. LOL 😆

No B&M out here, I’m going to have to start paddling back to the Mainland if there’s any hope for me. LOL 😆

9AC270CA-853C-40A4-8800-3FCEC1013D47.gif

P.S. Yep, I rely 100% for the online world, which is of course here too. :)

Reactions: sablebrush52
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

View attachment 192448

View attachment 192449

Nobody is entitled to anything. If you want to buy Esoterica at retail prices, work at it. If you are diligent, you'll eventually get lucky. Our save your money and pony up. But please don't eschew capitalism.

Seeing less than 1% of the pipe tobacco be unavailable, for whatever reason, hardly ranks as a tragedy pipe smokers won't recover from. McClelland closing is a far greater loss than not being able to afford Esoterica. Not even close by comparison.

Focus on all the great blends that are still sitting on the shelf and enjoy them. I'm enjoying a bowl of Capstan Blue RR right now more than I've enjoyed any bowl of any Esoterica blend. Ever. Cost less than a dollar. Let the Posers waste their money on scarcity all they want, I'll stick with quality.

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Nobody is entitled to anything. If you want to buy Esoterica at retail prices, work at it. If you are diligent, you'll eventually get lucky. Our save your money and pony up. But please don't eschew capitalism.

Seeing less than 1% of the pipe tobacco be unavailable, for whatever reason, hardly ranks as a tragedy pipe smokers won't recover from. McClelland closing is a far greater loss than not being able to afford Esoterica. Not even close by comparison.

Focus on all the great blends that are still sitting on the shelf and enjoy them. I'm enjoying a bowl of Capstan Blue RR right now more than I've enjoyed any bowl of any Esoterica blend. Ever. Cost less than a dollar. Let the Posers waste their money on scarcity all they want, I'll stick with quality.
I wish I could hit the “like”button twice on this post. Agree with every point, and well said.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since living out here, I’ve read that’s it’s the most remote place in the world. LOL 😆

No B&M out here, I’m going to have to start paddling back to the Mainland if there’s any hope for me. LOL 😆

View attachment 192484

P.S. Yep, I rely 100% for the online world, which is of course here too. :)
With the exception of Iwan Ries, which I'll get to in a moment, I bought all of my Esoterica blends from B&M's with little to no online presence, the closest of which is close to a 1000 miles from where I live. There is little to no pipe tobacco sold in Los Angeles. The market here is cigars. I made it a point to establish a customer relationship with B&M's that carry the line, buying other stock from them, pipe cleaners, whatever, getting in a good chat with the owner and occasionally sending them a gift or two of some unobtainable blend that I had. Sure it cost me more than online stores, but not all that much more and I was able to stock up what I liked over several years and buy some for friends who didn't have the contacts.

Abut Iwan Ries, if you put something on a wishlist, when your name comes to the top of the queue, and it can take a few years, they will more than send you a useless message, they will ACTUALLY HOLD YOUR ORDER FOR YOU FOR SEVERAL DAYS to give you time to claim it and you will also have the opportunity to make some extra purchases if there's something available that you want.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Currently seeing 2022 bags of Esoterica - ones that I own myself, going for $200 a bag.

I don't want to sell - I bought all mine at retail, but geez, one feels guilty knowing that $800 in perceived value is going to be smoked up and it could easily be sold and turned into about 16 pounds of really good tobacco otherwise. What is one to do?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Since I'm not attached to any particular tobacco blend, I'd likely sell to get some cash for a few house projects.

Buy low, sell high, and strike while the iron is hot. However, I don't flip tobacco or other products intentionally. It's generally not worth the time or cost for a nominal benefit.
Hence my consternation. I want to enjoy my tobacco. I bought it for my personal use. Its value has become almost obscene. If I sell it, I have some extra cash. But so what. The cash won't bring me any pleasure. I live within my means and I have no outstanding concerns. But having grown up in poverty, instinct says sell.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Hence my consternation. I want to enjoy my tobacco. I bought it for my personal use. Its value has become almost obscene. If I sell it, I have some extra cash. But so what. The cash won't bring me any pleasure. I live within my means and I have no outstanding concerns. But having grown up in poverty, instinct says sell.
I saw it, and opened a bag of Stonehaven. It's much better to enjoy what you bought and remember why you bought it than to sell it, and miss out on the happy experience you planned to have. That's my feelings, anyway.