PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It's another useful metric for gauging potential aftermarket value. I see that a number of really high valuations, $750 for an 8oz bag of 2011 Stonehaven, and other lofty evaluations have garnered no takers as they approach timing out. Proves the old adage about investing, pigs get slaughtered.
Jesse, one of my fathers favorite sayings when speaking of the markets, or other businesses was Bulls and Bears make money but Pigs get slaughtered. Even though my dad passed in 1997 his sayings stuck with me and when I sold my commercial real estate plaza in 2017, it played out exactly like that. If I had waited another year, I would not have done nearly as well.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So the DB that didn't pay for my auction, which honestly pisses me off, had one bidder going for it and this guy swoops in and puts in a bid $5 higher at the last minute and doesn't pay, so I lost out on a good sale. I complained to Tinbids and got their reply today. So if this happens make sure to complain!

Dear Sir,

We have confirmed that no payment has been received for your item, the buyer has been suspended for non-payment. If you would like to relist your item you may certainly do so. We apologize for your inconvenience and thank you for contacting us on this matter.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
So the DB that didn't pay for my auction, which honestly pisses me off, had one bidder going for it and this guy swoops in and puts in a bid $5 higher at the last minute and doesn't pay, so I lost out on a good sale. I complained to Tinbids and got their reply today. So if this happens make sure to complain!

Dear Sir,

We have confirmed that no payment has been received for your item, the buyer has been suspended for non-payment. If you would like to relist your item you may certainly do so. We apologize for your inconvenience and thank you for contacting us on this matter.
Man I wish eBay would do that! I get deadbeats on there all the time and it’s frustrating.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Man I wish eBay would do that! I get deadbeats on there all the time and it’s frustrating.
I think for the, they have such a small community / user base they have to, in the words of Barney Fife, nip it in the bud. One user can screw up a statistically large percent of their auctions.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Jesse, one of my fathers favorite sayings when speaking of the markets, or other businesses was Bulls and Bears make money but Pigs get slaughtered. Even though my dad passed in 1997 his sayings stuck with me and when I sold my commercial real estate plaza in 2017, it played out exactly like that. If I had waited another year, I would not have done nearly as well.
There is a saying in my profession (which also applies across the board in life): pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

Your father was a wise man (at least for this lesson) and I'm glad the wisdom was fruitful for you.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Seems they have changed their payment policy, used to get paid once you shipped, now they have to get confirmation of delivery then a “grace period” for the buyer to lodge a complaint about the item, which i guess makes sense with the stories of ppl sending crap tobacco, but I’ve wait well over 10 days and still waiting to get paid.

International is still the same you get paid after they get shipped notification.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Tinbids looked like it started out decent, until the last J.F. Germain & Son drop, and then 2022 bags of Esoterica started showing up on Tinbids going for ridiculous prices.

So, in all honesty when this happens, how many people are grabbing up the supply to sell off like this, and then the decent folks, just trying to get a tin or bag can’t because of scaplers auctioning off on places like Tinbids.

People have always been talking about those, that if they have money and want to blow it, so what, let them.

I’m talking about those that don’t have money, and every time they go looking when the drops happen, can’t get anything, everything always gets snapped up, then later, you see a lot selling at places like Tinbids, with prices jacked up ridiculously.

I posted this pic before of how ridiculous, this is just sad, to our fellow pipe smokers.

Would someone seriously sell like this to a friend or loved one? But, rhetorically speaking, hmm, it’s ok to do it to strangers... sad 😞

8839B3D8-3FCB-4002-A080-1A3620E3080E.jpeg

I can’t believe Tinbids is a sponsor here, I won’t support them! 👎

Last edited:

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I can’t believe Tinbids is a sponsor here, I won’t support them! 👎
I don’t think this is Tinbids fault. They don’t set the price and they aren’t the ones bidding it up.
I get it. It sucks when you want something and can’t find it and it goes for way too much money.
What I learned from collecting various collectables is that you got to play the long game. You’ll get it for the price you want if you just keep at it. Either you will cross paths with it, someone on the forum will hook you up or you’ll get an alert from SP.
Anyway I’ll will keep a look out for it on my end and if I find some in my travels I’ll pick you up some.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I don’t think this is Tinbids fault. They don’t set the price and they aren’t the ones bidding it up.
I get it. It sucks when you want something and can’t find it and it goes for way too much money.
What I learned from collecting various collectables is that you got to play the long game. You’ll get it for the price you want if you just keep at it. Either you will cross paths with it, someone on the forum will hook you up or you’ll get an alert from SP.
Anyway I’ll will keep a look out for it on my end and if I find some in my travels I’ll pick you up some.

Yes you are right, they aren’t setting the price, they just give the scalpers a place to gouge people LOL 😆

Maybe that still makes them a contributor in the crime, LOL 😆

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Not sure how you blame Tinbids. That's like blaming the gun instead of the person pulling the trigger.
I’m not blaming anyone, at least I didn’t consider my wording before, as looking like it casted blame that way.

I’m just saying, I’m not supporting a place that allows this type of behavior is all.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I do agree that with the latest drop of bags and tins the prices are stupid and the people with the money don't know or care anything about the tobacco other than the name, a lot of the reviews of the newer releases are NOT good, but again those people don't actual care so they see new bags and pay more than they are willing to pay for a bag with 7 or 8 years of cellar time on it, again those bidding are clueless and easy pickins for flippers. I've seen fresh bags of Margate go for 300 but Hu Flung Dung won't pay close to that for a bag from 2013.

Flippers gonna flip, not Tinbids fault, i get more aggravated with the people that put up 40 lots and every lot is a single tin of fresh tobacco.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Let's think about this for a moment. The prices on Tinbids are in line with the sales thread on this forum for the most part.

I’m only referring to the popular unicorn brands/prices on Tinbids.

In the two years I’ve been here, I have been regularly seeing the prices here, and I will agree, the Lurker types, who float in here once an a while, I’ve seen them selling jacked up prices.

But for the most part, I’ve not seen the majority of sellers, selling this high here on the forum.

These are just a few examples on Tinbids right now, with prices on recent fresh blends, I’ve not seen prices sold here.

0939A693-B14C-4656-AC19-38D5E26B5C3D.jpeg

687EC018-5E00-4B73-A184-77F839A99386.jpeg

Look, don’t take me wrong here, people are allowed to do whatever they want.

The point I’m trying to make, especially for our new/newer less educated pipe smoker, is that I find this really sad. They come into our world, want to get a pipe and some tobacco, just to want to try something like this, and it can be really be depressing to people.

We all know how hard it is to get many of the so called Unicorns, some people also call them the Unobtainum, we all get it. The point being, it’s not always about buying the prestigious blend, it’s only about wishing you can simply try it, after all, it’s only tobacco.