Not open for further replies.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
8aKTHLtl.jpg

WhiteDevilPress

Might Stick Around
The least expensive method is my preference. If I'm smoking in the tobacco shop, then I'm using their lighters. If not, I prefer the solar energy method, using a magnifying glass. But if I'm in a hurry, then a large wooden kitchen match. Of course, I'll also pick up lost or discarded Bics from the ground and use those, when luck is with me.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I do this when the blend is a known relight monster - RB Plug for example.
Where do you find the RB Plug?

I'd love to find some. Best tobacco ever made.

Oh, and I use matches almost exclusively, although an old dupont ligne 2 with pipe flame rides in my pocket for when I just can't.

Mattww89

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
TX
16605145757743599113839679195074.jpg
I want to learn how to use matches but right now it's too windy time of the year. So I got this pipe liter from l Amazon.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
The least expensive method is my preference. If I'm smoking in the tobacco shop, then I'm using their lighters. If not, I prefer the solar energy method, using a magnifying glass. But if I'm in a hurry, then a large wooden kitchen match. Of course, I'll also pick up lost or discarded Bics from the ground and use those, when luck is with me.
Are you sure you’re from Florida and not Yorkshire? You take frugality to the God tier!

How was copper wire invented?

Two Yorkshiremen fighting over a penny!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought I'd posted on this, but I don't see my post, so I guess not. I've always used matches. I have several lighters, and I love them as gadgets, and back-up to matches, but I like the extra soft flame of matches, the sense of control, and even more, the sound, smell, and feel of matches, and the sense of ritual they lend to the lighting of a pipe. My wife got me a matchbox cover case made of metal that exactly fits matches sold as wedding giveaways bought by the box of about fifty. The match case adds another element of ritual that i enjoy. It's all about aesthetics and subjectivity, in this case. But lighters are engaging. A Formums member sent me a lighter engraved with an image of my minesweeper, U.S.S. Gallant, MSO 489, which i cherish.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I believe we have exhausted every form of lighting a pipe, and whatever you like that works for you, great. It seems that almost all methods are useful for varied situations.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Prefer matches, but also a fan of the long, grill lighters. Easy reach down in the bowl for relights. I don't smoke in public so who cares what it looks like.
View attachment 162846
A problem with grill lighters is that people are tempted to do just that. Big risk of over torching the chamber and tobacco. Drawing the flame down works for 99% of pipes. The rest would have chambers of over two inches.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Sounds like a great excuse to watch so old Bing Crosby movies!
Just want to make one thing clear, his estate didn't ask me to say this. Though it totally is a good excuse to watch them. Another is that old movies are better then modern movies.... Because even if they are stinkers they're interesting in the you don't see that everyday kind of way. But it seriously is a good way to see how to use matches with a pipe.

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
A problem with grill lighters is that people are tempted to do just that. Big risk of over torching the chamber and tobacco. Drawing the flame down works for 99% of pipes. The rest would have chambers of over two inches.
No doubt. I only use the adjustable ones, the flame is much smaller than a standard bic on the lowest setting (which I will use in a pinch if neither matches nor grill lighter is available).

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.