PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Y
I don't know if this is accurate. I recognize all, but Studebaker is before my time.

View attachment 312720
Yes, to all of them.

As for the Studebaker, right out of High school I was driving a road service truck. Got an out of gas call for lady in a Studebaker Lark. I put 5 gallons in and asked her to try starting it. Not a sound. "What exactly happened" I asked her. "I was just driving down the road when there was a bang and smoke came out of it." Looked under the hood at a gaping hole in the block and a connecting rod sticking out of it. Still had to charge her for the gas.

I should point out that we only carried premium gas with us, so it cost her $1.65.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Y

Yes, to all of them.

As for the Studebaker, right out of High school I was driving a road service truck. Got an out of gas call for lady in a Studebaker Lark. I put 5 gallons in and asked her to try starting it. Not a sound. "What exactly happened" I asked her. "I was just driving down the road when there was a bang and smoke came out of it." Looked under the hood at a gaping hole in the block and a connecting rod sticking out of it. Still had to charge her for the gas.

I should point out that we only carried premium gas with us, so it cost her $1.65.
But ... from then on ... you probably asked people what happened and to lift the hood first ... so learning experience all around ! :ROFLMAO: I knew studebaker was a car but thats it. That list probably isnt as old as the author thinks.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
But ... from then on ... you probably asked people what happened and to lift the hood first ... so learning experience all around ! :ROFLMAO: I knew studebaker was a car but thats it. That list probably isnt as old as the author thinks.
Studebaker was making wagons for the Union army back in the day!

Generally, out-of-gas calls were due to a faulty gas gauge or a kid driving Mom's car.

The fun calls were the 18 wheelers, inter-city buses, no spare tires, etc. I got quite an education working the midnight shift.