A Law Is Passed Making Pipe Tobacco Illegal- How Does Your Life Change?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
24 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
12 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Right now, I have about 5 yr supply. Still working on grabbing what I need. After all are gone, I'll have to look into what Europeans smoked before tobacco. I assume some herbs and crap.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
This is not a shot at anybody and I don't feel anyone has taken a shot at me. Worst case scenario is a little something is lost in type written thoughts in lieu of being able speak directly with others.

First:

We are all of us right in not assumptively trusting any research regardless of the source. In one of his books (I forget which one, it's been a while since I read it. I think it was "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out".), Richard Feynman talks about why would should always conduct our our experiments or do conduct our own research whenever feasible. This was in response to experiencing both a religious instructor and a physics professor telling him to accept what they were saying on faith.

My personal preference in leaning towards a particular source starts with them allowing access to the actual data and papers. The reputable (or what I consider reputable) sources I've found do indeed make the information available for review. Next I look to see if the conductors/researchers are well educated (have degrees, preferably PhDs) and is the research in the field of their education. Then I review to see how closely they followed correct scientific methods. If one does not have a proper methodology, in a field they know something about, and is unwilling to provide true back-up of claims, then I am skeptical of it. I personally think info-graphics found on the internet are among the worst sources.

Second:

I'll attempt an analogy of tobacco research vs weed research: If the amounts of research were sand, the amount of tobacco sand would be the Sahara desert and the weed sand would be enough to fill a child's plastic bucket at the beach.

All of the positive claims about weed could someday be proved true but it is incorrect to claim they are true based on the amount of evidence we have at this time. Much, much more research is necessary.

Last:

I'll end with this eloquent little quote:

"We absolutely must leave room for doubt or there is no progress and no learning. There is no learning without having to pose a question. And a question requires doubt. People search for certainty. But there is no certainty."
- Richard Feynman

Nicely put. However, I am 64 and have heard that more research was needed since I was 17.

The real questions are these. As to medical, what is the cost benefit ratio of Marijuana compared to other drugs prescribed for the same issues. The opiod crisis, just for one example, makes this an obvious answer.

As to recreational, the same question essentially but comparing to alcohol. I like my booze, but it ain't the most benign thang.

ChasingEmbers... sounds good. I've played with "prison stills" and made a little 'shine. Low quality I'm sure. Another "project" for the future maybe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I couldn't stockpile enough for my 2-7 bowls a day--i would just have to accept insanity. But I am going to contact my representative. But actually, I don't think it would pass the Senate--they can't even ban vapers.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I guess I'll just find a guy in an apartment, trailer, or motel room. Ill bang on his door and say, "he man let me get a quarter ounce of burley". He'll open the door hand me the bag and tell me how its the best burley I'll ever smoke. Ill just smile as I over pay for a plant that is easliy home grown and go about my day.

Reactions: Casual

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
As a long time weed smoker who has been in recovery for almost 19 years I can say weed did absolutely nothing for me except make me lazy and hungry. I would not choose to go back to smoking weed. I also lost a sister to it that would not stop smoking it even though her doctor told her if she continued she would die from lung disease. She stopped smoking cigarettes years before but could not/would not quit smoking weed. It was her choice and I loved her and supported her no matter what she chose to do. Can weed be beneficial? I suppose but most people I know scream about the medicinal benefits yet were smoking recreationally/habitually for years before so I only see it as an excuse.

As for the question about pipe tobacco. That’s easy. I would quit and get rid of my cellar and take up yet another hobby. It’s not worth it to me as much as I love to smoke a pipe and cigars. I wouldn’t want to no more than I would want to quit eating ice cream or drinking coffee but I won’t be going to jail for a cup of coffee and a pipe. That’s silly.

Reactions: Bengel and jpmcwjr

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
I would smoke up my stash at my current rate of consumption, and, at when I finally reach that final tin, I would smoke my last bowl under the stars next to a campfire comprised of burning briar!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I just want to add, I absolutley will not quit smoking until I choose to myself. There are limits, this is one. As in the past, societies must have limits on how much personal freedom they are willing to give up. If not, we'd all end up with government issued haircuts. There are people who would justify those haircuts as nice enough. I'm not one of them..

• Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr and olkofri

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Other than constructing a shallow concrete mini-bunker with impenetrable locks and world class camp to hide it, Won't be chasing Penzance any longer!!!
(Bunker has to be real shallow, since I live in Florida - about 16 ft ASL). cray

• Haha
Reactions: radrick96