A Law Is Passed Making Pipe Tobacco Illegal- How Does Your Life Change?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
24 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
It wouldn't change much for me. I have enough to last me to over 100 years old. What it may change is I might invest in an large, expensive safe to store my cellar in. If it were made illegal, my cellar could actually have some real worth.
If this were to come to pass would you be willing to adopt me? Will work for pipe

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't think it would impact me much unless it really drove tobacco prices way (black market). Then my cellar might be worth enough for me to sell it off.

I'll never understand the mindset of people who disparage tobacco but advocate for weed. Weed has only a tiny fraction of bonafide studies vs the quantity of studies done on tobacco and its effects. It's still way too early to be touting the benefits of weed (other than reduced nausea and increased food intake). Even if weed is ultimately proven to not cause cancer it still damages the lungs.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
would your smoking slow down? go from a bowl everyday to every other day? start growing your own? drop the briar and start smoking the hippie lettuce instead? how would your life change if pipe tobacco became illegal? just a shower thought today i thought i would bring to the group.
Before strict laws on importing tobacco came into effect last year I ordered as much tobacco as my limited income could afford.
I've got to do a proper inventory but I've got at least 35lb cellared.

Last year I started growing tobacco that I will store to age until my supplies get low.

It's really not practical to replace baccy with "hippie lettuce" unless one doesn't mind being off their face all day.
Even in my smallest briar, just one full bowl of my homegrown medicine would turn me into a space cadet :eek:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I would thoroughly enjoy my cellar and if it ran out before I croaked then I’d be happy to have had the opportunity to smoke my pipes for as long as I have.

Think it’s a Dr Suess quote but I might be wrong: “Don’t be sad it’s over, be glad it happened.”

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I gave up weed decades ago to attend to child rearing, actually. Once I am out of the workforce and totally retired, it will prolly take me 9 seconds as well. No drug testing where I work, just don't want to yet.

Anyway, not to make it a weed thread. I always thought about hiding tobacco in a pot patch when I read that pot is very accepted in Australia but that tobacco is very regulated. Growing tobacco is illegal there and there is a blackmarket with people growing it and selling it *uncured*. People are even growing other, ornamental, species of Nicotiana to smoke.

Pot is basically very much accepted by the majority of citizens but is still treated no differently than heroin or amphetamines/meth by our authorities.
In most states they actually conduct 'random' testing of drivers for meth and cannabis [ironically they don't test for the rich peoples drug of choice, cocaine]
Rather than charging drivers for driving under the influence, they're charged for having an 'illegal substance in their system while driving'. Grrr.

I've not heard of one other person here who grows tobacco.
The penalties for growing tobacco here in Nanny State Australia for personal use are harsher than for growing weed.

Chop-chop is mainly imported from the Middle East. It comes very dry and needs to be brought back to case.
A local tobacconist is Iranian. He showed me his chop-chop which smelled of ammonia.
A doctor from RPA hospital told me that she had a ward 'nearly full' of patients with drug resistant lung infections from smoking chop-chop.

Upon smelling his chop-chop I told the tobacconist that he needed to find out how to safely bring his chop-chop back to case properly so it wasn't a health hazard. Up until then he just sprayed it with water.
I suggested that he ask the guy who sold him the chop-chop.

The next time I saw him he proudly showed me his chop-chop. It actually smelled really good. The recipe that he used contained vinegar and coffee.
Even after being told what he had used, I could not identify either ingredient.

That was several years ago. Since then he's told me that the quality is rather poor.
The quality of chop-chop is so bad, that most people mix it 50/50 with a commercial blend.

Reactions: davek

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Even if weed is ultimately proven to not cause cancer it still damages the lungs.

No not true. Cannabis has an anti-inflammatory effect that actually helps to open airways in ones lungs.
A former housemate was a chronic asthmatic who found that a joint worked better at stopping an asthma attack than his box-full of different pHarmaceutical inhalers.

Limited studies have found that regular cannabis use can counteract damage from smoking cigarettes.

A ganglion of nerve endings called a neuroma in my amputated stump is the cause of excruciating nerve pain. My pain clinic doctors tried for over 7 years to force me to take an anti-epileptic that 'Might help' [the nerve pain] Not only is it useless for nerve pain, it causes distressing side-effects, destroys ones liver and sudden cessation can kill.

Just 2-3 pipes of cannabis a day eliminates at least 95% of the pain.
As it turns out it's anti-inflammatory effects has stopped the progression of my Buergers disease that kills "100% of patients within 3 years".
Without cannabis I would have died an excruciating death many years ago like the 12 other Buergers patients I've known over the last 20 years since my diagnosis. ALL of them died within 3 years.

Cannabis is the safest and most effective natural medicine known to mankind. It was once the most widely prescribed medication until Big Business bribed politicians to make it illegal.

Apologies for going off topic but I cannot let such uninformed opinions go unchallenged.
It upsets me that people are suffering and dying unnecessarily thanks to greed and ignorance.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
No not true. Cannabis has an anti-inflammatory effect that actually helps to open airways in ones lungs.
A former housemate was a chronic asthmatic who found that a joint worked better at stopping an asthma attack than his box-full of different pHarmaceutical inhalers.

Limited studies have found that regular cannabis use can counteract damage from smoking cigarettes.

A ganglion of nerve endings called a neuroma in my amputated stump is the cause of excruciating nerve pain. My pain clinic doctors tried for over 7 years to force me to take an anti-epileptic that 'Might help' [the nerve pain] Not only is it useless for nerve pain, it causes distressing side-effects, destroys ones liver and sudden cessation can kill.

Just 2-3 pipes of cannabis a day eliminates at least 95% of the pain.
As it turns out it's anti-inflammatory effects has stopped the progression of my Buergers disease that kills "100% of patients within 3 years".
Without cannabis I would have died an excruciating death many years ago like the 12 other Buergers patients I've known over the last 20 years since my diagnosis. ALL of them died within 3 years.

Cannabis is the safest and most effective natural medicine known to mankind. It was once the most widely prescribed medication until Big Business bribed politicians to make it illegal.

Apologies for going off topic but I cannot let such uninformed opinions go unchallenged.
It upsets me that people are suffering and dying unnecessarily thanks to greed and ignorance.
You'll have to forgive me for listening to the American Medical Association and American Lung Association over anecdotal stories from the internet.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
You'll have to forgive me for listening to the American Medical Association and American Lung Association over anecdotal stories from the internet.
Since being diagnosed with a 'terminal illness', I've done a lot of research.
Medical organisations such as the ones you mentioned are all a part of the Medical Industry who receive a lot of funding from Big pHarma.
Even to this day Big pHarma bribes ... er, or should I say 'donates' millions every year to political parties.
Big pHarma will do what it can to keep any natural cure away from the public because unless they can patent a product to make outrageous profit, they're simply not interested in a cure.

Big pHarma - Profit before people.

A good example of the power Big pHarma exerts is how the brilliant researcher Dr Royal Rife was treated back in the 1930s. He was curing cancer patients who had been through conventional treatment then sent home to die.
Dr Rifes proved time and again that his methods worked yet how many have died from cancer since then?
Why hasn't every oncology ward got a Rife Machine? Because there's little profit in cure.

The 12 Buergers patients I've known who put their faith in their doctors and the medical industry are all dead.
One can either learn to think for themselves or put their faith in their doctors.
Personally I'd prefer to survive by learning to think for myself.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
They have also decided that 3rd hand smoke is the most dangerous. I shit you not.

Reactions: chopper

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
To quote Mr. Heston..."I'll give you my pipe when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands"...;)

Reactions: Elric