4Noggins - Tobacconists - Missing In Action?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm interested in the videos. Please provide the search terms.

I looked through YouTube and tried to find the various videos I have watched. It is rather time consuming. I found one that I can share. From that one you can probably track down others.

Pipe Smoking: An Unwritten Code of Behavior​

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this!
[/QUOTE]
The implication that a pipe smoker has to abide by a set of rules, conduct themselves in a particular manner, or live a certain way immediately disqualifies the maker of that video from any serious consideration.
OMG! This is the dude who got in a snit, quoting Patrick Henry, because he was obliged to fill out some paperwork to open an on line tobacco store! Yikes!

I found this video pretty damned unwatchable and called it a day after a few minutes. Maybe it's the audible click every time he bites down on the stem. Maybe it's the nervous way he smokes, keeping it billowing out like a freight train, between the clicks and yammers, but I just had to turn him off.

I smoke for the pleasure, flavor and relaxation of it and was feeling none of that watching this guy.

I have an image in my head from the West Coast Pipe Show.

A table of us enjoying our pipes in silent reflection. The casual observer might be excused for wondering if we were either mannequins or dead, since there was no obvious movement, but the acute observer would have noticed the tiniest wisp of smoke curling upward every once in a while, indicating signs of activity. Any of those gents at that table could have kept a bowl going for hours in that effortless manner, without the nervous need to keep puffing at it like one's life depends on it.

Youtube pipe videos can rot your brain, watch defensively.

To go back on track, I've experienced no problems with 4Noggins, but haven't done any business with them in a few years.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I know it's meant in jest but it's one of the reasons new smokers quit or don't even try. They're led to believe there's more to it than just filling a pipe and smoking it.
True, but there are also practices that make filling and smoking a pipe a more enjoyable experience. Without the Fez and smoking robe, nothing else matters.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
So, I’ll editorialize what I got from this thread…

(Insert vendor here) didn’t reply to my order inquiries within a week or two. They suck!

(Insert vendor here) sent me my order. I got it a couple weeks later. They rock!

I live in the Grand Duchy of Slobovia. I can’t get my tobacco. Thank God for (Insert vendor here).

“(Insert vendor here) customer service sucks”.
- You’re an Ahole, STFU…

Various ramblings about excise taxes, etc…

The End

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
More people will spout off on negatives than provide a positive comment. I am willing to bet there are more satisfied customers than unsatisfied. Even smokingpipes.com has people that don't like them
satisfied customers are supposed to be the baseline though. It shouldn't be consider exemplary at all. And the thing is there is always going to be something that goes wrong, because that's life and they should be equipped to expect and handle it, instead of shrug and say shit happens.

Reactions: ReneRobert

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I looked through YouTube and tried to find the various videos I have watched. It is rather time consuming. I found one that I can share. From that one you can probably track down others.

Pipe Smoking: An Unwritten Code of Behavior​

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this!

OMG! This is the dude who got in a snit, quoting Patrick Henry, because he was obliged to fill out some paperwork to open an on line tobacco store! Yikes!

[/QUOTE]
oh my

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
satisfied customers are supposed to be the baseline though. It shouldn't be consider exemplary at all. And the thing is there is always going to be something that goes wrong, because that's life and they should be equipped to expect and handle it, instead of shrug and say shit happens.
I think you just agreed with me. The negatives are loud and brash online but the positives are quiet and returning customers keeps them open for business

Reactions: anotherbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think you just agreed with me. The negatives are loud and brash online but the positives are quiet and returning customers keeps them open for business
For those outside CONUS who wish to order from the states, they don't have much choice but to deal with them. Having no other options doesn't always equate to happy customers. Their former owner Rich Gotlieb trash talked members of several forums and gave the company enough of a bad name that many just dismissed 4noggins altogether.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I know it's meant in jest but it's one of the reasons new smokers quit or don't even try. They're led to believe there's more to it than just filling a pipe and smoking it.
it's like kissing. Not really all that much to figure out but still helpful to know a thing or two, and with both the best way to learn is just put it to your lips and get some experience.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
yeah I think that's a bit of what's happening. I just was trying to say I kind of hate when people try to negate the negatives. Share the positives but just because Linda is nice to me doesn't mean she couldn't have been a big ole Seaward (think of that one phonetically, or just read it out loud) to Carol. Both should be noted certainly.
That said companies you're purchasing things from should tell you if there is a very real chance of certain things happening. Even if it's just so they can get less phone calls and e-mails. If you order something that isn't in stock we'll ship your order when that returns to stock. Gosh even in the earlier days of ordering online I had several companies contact me to ask if it's o.k. to delay an order a day or two or if I'd rather get a replacement (I usually just said give me a replacement, side note I noticed that if you said I don't care if the replacement is a little less then what I spent that they'd often go the other way and send something more pricey.

Reactions: seanv

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
For those outside CONUS who wish to order from the states, they don't have much choice but to deal with them. Having no other options doesn't always equate to happy customers. Their former owner Rich Gotlieb trash talked members of several forums and gave the company enough of a bad name that many just dismissed 4noggins altogether.
that's a great way to chase off customers. It's amazing how even if I agree with what the person trash talking says about a customer, it makes me feel uneasy like I have to worry about not only their judgement but them sharing a negative opinion of me with everyone. Doesn't sit well unless the person they're trash talking is super out of line, like they are a confirmed criminal scum (scum being the key word).

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I've always had great luck with 4noggins.com. I've even had a few items that were backordered with my orders and shipped at a later date without a hitch.

Well they burned me. Very unfortunate as I have defended them on this very thread. I've ordered tons of tobacco from them without a hitch in the past but I won't be ordering from them anymore. They shorted me a pound of Mac Baren navy flake on my order and won't respond to multiple emails or phone messages begging for a response. I gave them the chance to make it right but had to file a claim with my credit card company today.