4Noggins - Tobacconists - Missing In Action?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
No you're fine, I was being gruff. Usually anytime somebody mentions a complaint about 4noggins, four or five apologist come out of the woodwork defending the owner. I just assumed you were one of them.
Nope, just happened to put in my first order on the site when the subject popped up. Thanks for responding.

nasa25

Lurker
May 7, 2023
Both. Amounts were kind of random and calculated differently on each order but this is the way CBSA has been with tobacco for years. They basically pull numbers out of a hat.
Yep the calculation for pipe tobacco is pretty simple yet they seem to charge whatever they feel like depending on time of the day, their mood, etc lol

nasa25

Lurker
May 7, 2023
I tempted fate and ordered again and cbsa got me and overcharged duties by like $45. Not the worst case of miscalculation but this is my cue to quit while I’m ahead lol

Last edited:

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Is the alternative just buying local?
Yes and depending where you live, there might be some choice, or not. Cased tobacco, or not. Some provinces have bans on flavored tobacco, others, no. Yet.

And, pretty much everywhere, it's mucho loco expensive, particularly in Alberta and B.C. (which means: Bring Cash).

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
If any Canadians are interested in comparing notes on experiences at the border I'd like to set up a separate DM thread. Let me know by DM if you'd like to be added. Might be a bit slow in adding you but I'll get to it...

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
If any Canadians are interested in comparing notes on experiences at the border I'd like to set up a separate DM thread. Let me know by DM if you'd like to be added. Might be a bit slow in adding you but I'll get to it...
Good idea, mate. I'm in. :)

Reactions: nasa25

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yes and depending where you live, there might be some choice, or not. Cased tobacco, or not. Some provinces have bans on flavored tobacco, others, no. Yet.

And, pretty much everywhere, it's mucho loco expensive, particularly in Alberta and B.C. (which means: Bring Cash).
Lol I haven't heard "Bring Cash" before! I grew up in Vancouver so I know how expensive it is.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Lol I haven't heard "Bring Cash" before! I grew up in Vancouver so I know how expensive it is.
Vancouver is now among the most expensive cities in the world to live in. Top 5 or something like that. The real estate market did that.