PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Good me - I've got enough tobacco to last me for 20 years If I smoke it at my normal pace I'll be fine.

Evil me- Screw that! Buy up everything you can now so there's nothing left for anyone else when the shit hits the fan.
???View attachment 100103
Conceivable I could live another 20 years. However, at my rate of smoking, I'd need another 120 pounds to last that long. Ain't no way I'd shell out $5000 or so up front to get it.;)

Reactions: That Guy

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
An interesting aspect to this proposal is that it’s not intended to prevent smoking or fund smoking cessation. The taxes are actually purposely for increasing revenue to fund other agendas (whether you agree with agenda or not is of no consequence to the holistic purpose of the increase). If they are utilizing the taxes to actually raise spending money, that would lead to believe that they have less interest in blocking tobacco access much further. As it’s anticipated as a payoff measure, they need to ensure that revenue comes in for the 10 year expectation of the plan. Wanting increased revenue would lead to believe they don’t want tobacco use to decline all that much more or that would run against the tax flow increase want.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
How much is a pouch of Amphora in the Land of the Long White Cloud?
154.95 shire silver shillings. But that comes with free shipping! Lol. So like $105usd

Edit: just redid my math and it appears the tax on a $60 pound box would just nudge over the amphora price. Whew.

We pay $120us a tin for capstan or St Bruno. $113us for Macbaren (50g), Ashton, GLP or Peterson’s. $100-$110 for C&D, lane, amphora and CB. Erinmore and Borkum are a bit cheaper, but marginal. Oh and the worst is $206usd for 100g Macbaren - cos I know some of their range is only a tad more expensive than the 50g stuff

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
154.95 shire silver shillings. But that comes with free shipping! Lol. So like $105usd

Edit: just redid my math and it appears the tax on a $60 pound box would just nudge over the amphora price. Whew.

We pay $120us a tin for capstan or St Bruno. $113us for Macbaren (50g), Ashton, GLP or Peterson’s. $100-$110 for C&D, lane, amphora and CB. Erinmore and Borkum are a bit cheaper, but marginal. Oh and the worst is $206usd for 100g Macbaren - cos I know some of their range is only a tad more expensive than the 50g stuff
Whoa! And people do buy them eh?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Wait…what??!? so a pound of pretty much any tobacco you want is still not gonna cost the same as a pouch of amphora down under! That’s down right Preposterous!…kiwi rant over. Pardon the interruption.
The proposed tax discussed on this thread is a federal tax. Each state here also has it own set of taxes. In my state, the excise tax for tobacco is 65% of the whole sale price, which is on the high end of state excise taxes. Some states have an additional sales tax on top of the excise tax. Most of us are able to avoid our state's taxes by buying on-line from vendors that are located in a different state.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yeah I appreciate it’s more than just an extra $50 on the SPC price tag for some. I find it a fascinating (poor word choice) discussion to watch actually m, especially having gone through a mad dash across the finish line with the changes to NZ’s import legislation last year.

oh and yeah, people buy up all the tobacco here, quite often it’s out of stock. There is really only one supplier in the whole of the country for pipe tobacco. Given the price of cigars is almost the same, a pipe tobacco tin provides 6-30x more smokes. I think the approach most kiwi smokers have is to really only have a bowl or two in the weekend, which is comparable cost wise to a couple of beers at a pub or a bottle of wine from the supermarket. Without homegrown or a huge stash already, that’s the only sustainable way forward.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Yeah I appreciate it’s more than just an extra $50 on the SPC price tag for some. I find it a fascinating (poor word choice) discussion to watch actually m, especially having gone through a mad dash across the finish line with the changes to NZ’s import legislation last year.

oh and yeah, people buy up all the tobacco here, quite often it’s out of stock. There is really only one supplier in the whole of the country for pipe tobacco. Given the price of cigars is almost the same, a pipe tobacco tin provides 6-30x more smokes. I think the approach most kiwi smokers have is to really only have a bowl or two in the weekend, which is comparable cost wise to a couple of beers at a pub or a bottle of wine from the supermarket. Without homegrown or a huge stash already, that’s the only sustainable way forward.
Yeah, treat it as a once in a while indulgence, like sex after marriage! :LOL:

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I just cellared 6 more lbs of tobacco. End of the year gonna have a cigar Lieberman, high quality crank tobacco shredder and a bunch of whole leaf and casings. I have 27lbs currently, I woukd like to have 40lbs before the new year.
Add a vacuum sealed to that list (if you don’t have one already) and a good supply of micro-channel domestic vacuum sealing bags - unless you are going to go pro and get a chamber vacuum sealer and use Mylar without the spotted plastic.

with whole leaf, the most important factors I have found is time and a way to press. I would assume that its will not be impacted by any tax changes, as it is not a tobacco product, so maybe it would be better to use the funds for commercial blends this year.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I just cellared 6 more lbs of tobacco. End of the year gonna have a cigar Lieberman, high quality crank tobacco shredder and a bunch of whole leaf and casings. I have 27lbs currently, I woukd like to have 40lbs before the new year.
Hi want to be friends and hang out sometime? We can meet at your place LOL