PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Can anyone here find some dates on this proposed legislation? Like when it hits the floor, when it will be voted on?
It was marked up by the Ways and Means Committee last Saturday the 25th and it's part of the gigantic $3.5 trillion budget plan that the Dems are trying to pass via reconciliation. See section 138504(e) of the bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376/text . Pelosi is toying with when to introduce it to the floor based on how Democratic leverage is over the moderates in relation to voting on the $1 trillion infrastructure bill, which she plans on introducing to the floor tomorrow after brow-beating moderates into submission (why can't we have more moderates??).

So to all of you that keep repeating that this bill gets introduced every year and not to worry because it's never been introduced to the floor, it's very much about to be introduced to the floor since it's made it out of the Ways and Means Committee. All that's keeping it from the floor at this point is Pelosi's decision on when to introduce it for a vote and whether negotiations can cause further edits to be made.

Jun 9, 2018
England
2100% ???. What would the price of a 50g tin be?
Whether this crazy number comes into force or not it seems cellaring what you can is the smart option.

I've been gradually building my cellar up over the last 4 years or so. I haven't bought many pipes because i've been using any spare cash to buy tobacco.
I've got around 36lb now which is plenty for my modest needs. A few tins here, some bulk there and it can soon add up.

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Whether this crazy number comes into force or not it seems cellaring what you can is the smart option.

I've been gradually building my cellar up over the last 4 years or so. I haven't bought many pipes because i've been using any spare cash to buy tobacco.
I've got around 36lb now which is plenty for my modest needs. A few tins here, some bulk there and it can soon add up.
2100% isn't correct. It's 1,751%. It would go from $2.8311 per lb to $49.56 per lb. The total cost for a 50g tin will depend on the state you live in still, but the price will go up $5.15 --- i.e., 50g * (( 49.56 - 2.8311 $/lb)/453.592 g/lb). A 100g tin would go up $10.30 --- i.e., 100g * (( 49.56 - 2.8311 $/lb)/453.592 g/lb) = $10.30.

As for date it's applicable, I think the beginning of the quarter after the bill is passed, if it's passed. Here's the language from the bill:
(1) In general.--Except as otherwise provided in this
subsection, the amendments made by this section shall apply to
articles removed in calendar quarters beginning after the date
of the enactment of this Act.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
As I understand it, the current US federal (each state also has its own separate tax) tax rate for pipe tobacco is $2.8311 a pound, not very much.

The current rate for RYO is $24.78 a pound.

The proposed new rates for both are equalized at $49.56 a pound, a huge increase for pipe tobacco, not so much for RYO, relatively speaking. (I have no idea how anyone came up with the 2,100% number)

If the RYO manufacturers hadn't started selling their wares as "pipe tobacco," the rate for pipe tobacco may have stayed under the radar.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As I understand it, the current US federal (each state also has its own separate tax) tax rate for pipe tobacco is $2.8311 a pound, not very much.

The current rate for RYO is $24.78 a pound.

The proposed new rates for both are equalized at $49.56 a pound, a huge increase for pipe tobacco, not so much for RYO, relatively speaking. (I have no idea how anyone came up with the 2,100% number)

If the RYO manufacturers hadn't started selling their wares as "pipe tobacco," the rate for pipe tobacco may have stayed under the radar.
it would certainly have. Funny fact they tried the same thing a few decades ago because of rolly tobacco sold under the pipe tobacco banner. It didn't go through and that time the other side of aisle was pushing for it.
Basically another reason that one of the biggest dangers to pipe smoking is relative obscurity. If we where a more visible block this collateral damage would not be happening. Heck there where cheap cigs back in the day that where sold as cigars but they where cheap cigs. Cigars have a high enough profile to not get caught up in this shit storm.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL

Been my tactic too for about 2.5-3 years now

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
It's impossible to explain why, without getting political, but as of right now it doesn't look like the reconciliation bill is going to pass. The deal that was in place to pass it has been ripped up.
In line with that and some good news for the (hopeful) demise of at least the Tobacco Equity Act portion of the budget bill: