PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Rumor is they took it out of the "Skyrocket the Cost of Living", ehem I mean the "Build Back Better" bill.

This is some truly unexpected intelligence on the issue. I thought that the only way the tax increase didn't happen was by the whole bill failing to garner sufficient support in both chambers of congress, holding it off until next year, or something. But this? Honestly shocked they just dropped it completely from the bill. Maybe Big Cigar (and Big Tobacco) really managed to flex their muscles, saving the pocketbooks of us dwindling pipers. I guess TAD will live another year.

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
As I understand it, the current US federal (each state also has its own separate tax) tax rate for pipe tobacco is $2.8311 a pound, not very much.

The current rate for RYO is $24.78 a pound.

The proposed new rates for both are equalized at $49.56 a pound, a huge increase for pipe tobacco, not so much for RYO, relatively speaking. (I have no idea how anyone came up with the 2,100% number)

If the RYO manufacturers hadn't started selling their wares as "pipe tobacco," the rate for pipe tobacco may have stayed under the radar.
Absolutely, it's the RYO "pipe tobacco" they want to get. I don't think you can even find any actual "cigarette tobacco" for RYO anymore...

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Absolutely, it's the RYO "pipe tobacco" they want to get. I don't think you can even find any actual "cigarette tobacco" for RYO anymore...
Drum and American Spirit are sold in tubs at my local liquor store. They also have Borkum Riff, Captain Black, Largo, Middleton Cherry, and Prince Albert in pouches.

Not bad for a small shop that focuses on booze and vape.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
How many politicians have you seen rolling their own? On the other hand how many (including their cronies) enjoy a cigar? I rolled my own for over thirty years but Samson, my tobacco of choice, either went out of production or they just stopped sending it to the UK. When I found out that the US had also stopped it I quit and stuck with the pipe

Hopefully we’ll be ok for a while yet but you know some crusading ass is going to force their agenda down our throats eventually.

It’s expensive here but I’m just thankful I don’t have to pay Australian prices for tobacco, they’ve taxed it so only the very wealthy can afford to smoke, over a hundred dollars for 2oz or thereabouts. Crazy!

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
How many politicians have you seen rolling their own? On the other hand how many (including their cronies) enjoy a cigar? I rolled my own for over thirty years but Samson, my tobacco of choice, either went out of production or they just stopped sending it to the UK. When I found out that the US had also stopped it I quit and stuck with the pipe

Hopefully we’ll be ok for a while yet but you know some crusading ass is going to force their agenda down our throats eventually.

It’s expensive here but I’m just thankful I don’t have to pay Australian prices for tobacco, they’ve taxed it so only the very wealthy can afford to smoke, over a hundred dollars for 2oz or thereabouts. Crazy!
Yeah the tobacco part of the US bill was taken out, but we see where they are heading. It's only a matter of time.

The first time I made a pipe tobacco order online, I was honestly extremely surprised it is even able to be done with an age-restricted product. The only B&M stores around here are more expensive and are usually more of a vape/head shop.

Of course businesses seem to be pretty good at adapting, as "roll your own cigarette tobacco" pretty much doesn't exist anymore. It's all "pipe tobacco". Maybe they'd change the product so that it's "not for human consumption" or "incense", "air freshener", etc. Two can play their game.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Counterblaste to Tobacco all over again???
It’s been a year now since the threatened $49 a pound pipe tobacco tax failed miserably.

Instead there’s going to be 87,000 IRS agents auditing them there sonsabitches who thought that was a good idea.:)

Ten cars back on an Eastbound freight train, some poor hobo rolling a smoke doesn’t worry about IRS auditors.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It’s been a year now since the threatened $49 a pound pipe tobacco tax failed miserably.

Instead there’s going to be 87,000 gun totin’ IRS agents auditing them there sonsabitches who thought that was a good idea.:)

Ten cars back on an Eastbound freight train, some poor hobo rolling a smoke doesn’t worry about IRS auditors.

Fixed it for yah.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Fixed it for yah.
87,000 Gun totin’ IRS agents aren’t going to be kicking in doors of the poor folks smoking ten dollar a pound “pipe” tobacco.:)

The target rich environment for the IRS is the richest billionaires on earth, who seldom pay any income taxes at all.

Meanwhile in downtown Humansville, you can still buy one ounce of genuine tobacco for a dollar, all taxes paid, and a full pound for ten.

I doubt the IRS will come looking for money in Humansville. If they do, they are fifty years too late.

Reactions: marconi and JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
87,000 Gun totin’ IRS agents aren’t going to be kicking in doors of the poor folks smoking ten dollar a pound “pipe” tobacco.:)

The target rich environment for the IRS is the richest billionaires on earth, who seldom pay any income taxes at all.

Meanwhile in downtown Humansville, you can still buy one ounce of genuine tobacco for a dollar, all taxes paid, and a full pound for ten.

I doubt the IRS will come looking for money in Humansville. If they do, they are fifty years too late.

Actually they will be going after small business and middle class families.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

The additional IRS agents are primarily to crack down on average Joes who made an extra $20 on Facebook marketplace selling their worn out bluejeans (or using PayPal to sell tobacco on internet forums). The government wants their share.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
By order of the Secretary of the Treasury:

"Specifically, I direct that any additional resources—including any new personnel or auditors that are hired—shall not be used to increase the share of small business or households below the $400,000 threshold that are audited relative to historical levels," Yellen wrote in the letter to Rettig. "This means that, contrary to the misinformation from opponents of this legislation, small business or households earning $400,000 per year or less will not see an increase in the chances that they are audited."

Enforcement resources, Yellen said, will instead "focus on high-end noncompliance."

The new IRS funding is projected to raise $124 billion in additional tax revenue over the next 10 years

—-

The no account, low down, yellow bellied, dirty, wealthy hypocrites who were heard so long and loud last year wanting to save the children from cheap Gambler pipe tobacco are now, have to worry about paying their share of taxes, instead.

The forty cent a stick tax on $25 Cuban cigars remains the same as it is on Dutch Master Presidents.

Not very often, but sometimes, the shoe goes on the other foot, tonight.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My father died on September 11, 1971 when I was 13 years old.

His last milk check arrived sometime in the middle of October, after the big dairy herd and machinery auction.

Mama bought the first winter’s tank of propane in late October and it was 32 cents a gallon.

I watched her try and turn off the propane gas central furnace in the basement of our home, so we’d have to burn that huge woodpile out back in an Ashley wood stove.

We couldn’t get the pilot lights to go out, so I watched her blow them out.

Thank Jesus for thermocouples.:)

Elon Musk is the world’s richest human being, worth a quarter of a trillion dollars.

I’m sincerely glad he is, so rich. He provides a lot of useful products and services and hires lots of people.
—-
How much taxpayer money has Elon Musk received?

According to a ProPublica investigation published in June, Musk has paid little or no income tax in recent years. Between 2014 and 2018, the eccentric billionaire paid a total of $455 million in federal income taxes even as his personal wealth rose by more than $13 billion.

—-

My mother and I were never poor, but the outcome was in doubt in late October 1971.

I never forgot, nor can I forget.

My sympathies lie with the tramp on the street, the guy who spends his last dollar on Gambler.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
By order of the Secretary of the Treasury:

"Specifically, I direct that any additional resources—including any new personnel or auditors that are hired—shall not be used to increase the share of small business or households below the $400,000 threshold that are audited relative to historical levels," Yellen wrote in the letter to Rettig. "This means that, contrary to the misinformation from opponents of this legislation, small business or households earning $400,000 per year or less will not see an increase in the chances that they are audited."

Enforcement resources, Yellen said, will instead "focus on high-end noncompliance."

The new IRS funding is projected to raise $124 billion in additional tax revenue over the next 10 years

—-

The no account, low down, yellow bellied, dirty, wealthy hypocrites who were heard so long and loud last year wanting to save the children from cheap Gambler pipe tobacco are now, have to worry about paying their share of taxes, instead.

The forty cent a stick tax on $25 Cuban cigars remains the same as it is on Dutch Master Presidents.

Not very often, but sometimes, the shoe goes on the other foot, tonight.:)

They changed the reporting rules so people making over $600 annually in digital payments have to file forms on it, it was $20000 before. They're not going after rich people with the exception of a few well publicized scapegoats.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Just because a platform may or may not have been reporting it previously, doesn’t mean an individual should not have been reporting the income on their tax returns. That $600 threshold for reporting should have zero impact on an individuals actual earnings and tax owed.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Just because a platform may or may not have been reporting it previously, doesn’t mean an individual should not have been reporting the income on their tax returns. That $600 threshold for reporting should have zero impact on an individuals actual earnings and tax owed.

Thanks to a lot of hard work and the blessings of a merciful God I own two office buildings, one residence, a 300 acre farm, three rental homes, and 20 acres of timberland in Spout Spring Hollow.

I’ve paid every penny of taxes my accountant has said to pay since 1983.

Four people call me landlord and two or three call me boss.

If I want to deduct any money from my taxes if I pay an individual more than $600 a year I have to give them a 10-99, except for rental payments, which I still report, and wages, which are on a W-2.

Humansville is economically destroyed. Buildings are literally falling down on Main Street, and the city ropes them off for safety.

The last dairy farmer of my father’s generation has a huge dormitory full of legal immigrants on HB-1 visas doing the milking of 750 cows, and that’s really not that large of a herd.

When my father died in 1971 he milked about the same number as my father, twenty five milkers.

If I want to sell over $600 a year worth of pipes on eBay I’ll turn that 10-99 over to my accountant, too.

If those poor immigrants can walk or hitch a ride to Humansville, they can’t buy many groceries because our grocery store closed down.

But for a dollar, they can buy a package of good rolling tobacco.

968D16D9-F982-4A4D-B1F5-CB480217067F.jpeg

And if they have any children, they eat free breakfasts, lunches and take food home in their back packs, at the Humansville public schools.

Fifty years ago poor children traded two quarter lunch tokens their parents had bought for 40 cent packages of Marlboros and Winston’s, and Nellie gave them a dime change.

20C9FD90-ADC3-4FDB-87D4-287604349A02.jpegWhen these were taken the top tax rate on the rich was 90%, and they didn’t hardly ever pay that, either, thanks to good lawyers and accountants.

0BEDD8B2-7012-4DFE-B43F-75A0D8CAE4A7.jpeg1017CA4B-F3A2-4136-B11C-F3A70ABC8296.jpegE620A69E-0FDB-46AE-9AB3-0B69EA059520.jpegIt won’t hurt the rich to be subjected to more audits.

And instead of eBay and Amazon maybe people could patronize little businesses again, you know?