PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ummmm..it's you. Marc, did you send this out without calling out the next recipient and waiting for their reply???
Damnit, I go out of town for a few days and everything breaks down. WTF?

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
It was an honest mistake in sure. Just for the record I will be in town and am ready to receive. Really looking forward to it.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I do apologize Dan. You PM'd me stating Freakiefrog was the next recipient, and said send a "shout out" since you hadn't been on the forums in 3 weeks. When I went to this thread to post the call out to him, I noticed Freakiefrog posted the following message:
This is like the second most exciting part of my morning. LOL
To which I assumed(yes we all know what happens when we do that)he knew he was next in line.
That all being said, it doesn't mean I'm excused for breaking protocol and didn't send out the message for confirmation for receipt of the box.
Again, I do apologize for the lack of proper communication.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I meant to say in my earlier post the you(Dan) told me that Freakiefrog hadn't been on the forums in 3 weeks, and to send a shout out to him.
Ugh..I'm going to go stick my head in the oven now.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Marc, I've been busy with work, and haven't been here as much as I should be. I think that I could have been more clear when we PM'd about the next guy in line. Lesson learned. I'll be coming up with a standard hand-off PM that will be a lot more concise.
What's important is that the box is safe and a lesson was learned. Thanks for being a great Box Pass foster parent, Marc. I'd send The Box back to you any day.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
So the box arrived safe and sound no problems. First impressions, holy hell it's heavy!
I don't know what evil wizard pack this thing but damn they did a good job it just kept getting more and more blends out.
833E1072-F21D-4105-A1EE-BB2460D0A224_zpsalfj8qer.jpg

71F8EB2D-A5D3-4EFF-9435-0DF19ADCFB03_zpssg5wirvh.jpg

Having my first bowl Newminister black Danish #47. Pretty good stuff so far. More to come.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Well I went through the box and pulled out all the blends I thought I'd want to try. So far there are quite a few that I have found that I'm going to have to add to the collection.
Condor plug being on that I really have to add.
Kajun Kake - was really very tasty I was surprised how mild it was to me anyway.
Fribourg & Treyer - Vintage flake is a fantastic Va blend smooth and mild just like I like them.
C&D Opening night - it was ok smelled really good and I may have to revisit it when my mouth hasn't been assaulted by and English blend earlier in the day.
Some of the ones I didn't like were
Petersons - Irish Cream no flavor what so ever for me

Sutlif - molto dolce was harsh and chemically tasting
More to come tonight as I am smoking about 2-3 blends a day and really sitting down and giving them a good try.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Freakiefrog is in pipe tobak heaven right now. Or overload. Or both.

Funny thing about that Molte Dolce. Some people just adore it. Others hate it. All I know is that it ghosted my car in a serious way. Took a month for the "aroma" to dissipate.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
It's heavenly overload. There are a few blends that I saw that I've wanted to try that there isn't enough left to have more than one bowl. So I'm going leave them for someone who might not have a chance to try.
I did find the box to be heavily weighted to the English persuasion I hope to even it out when I pass it on.
Still much more smoking to be done/ :D

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Freakie, while your heart's in the right place when thinking of others and leaving that little baggie with a single bowl rattling around, the best thing is to just put that old mare down.
It helps with keeping the box "uncluttered" so to speak. I ended up finishing the Bald Headed Teacher and the McClellands Bulk 2015. The box is a living organism that's always changing. If everyone left a single bowls worth of bags in there, we'd end up with a box of little bags of crumbs.
Look at it this way, sometimes trying a blend means smoking it more than once. It's all good man, just finish it off.
Thanks for the updates. :puffy:

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
So I have been smoking like freight train so far I've run across a few blends that really didn't do anything for me. Pirate Kake being one of them. I've only been keeping track of blends I like.
Lane BL/WB - Not normally into Aromatics but this was a really tasty one
Frog Morton Cellar - I smoked this when it first came out and didn't like it. But a few years later I found that I could really find this to be an everyday smoke
Solani Aged Burley Flake - Wow Normally when it comes to Burley I like it with other tobacco. But I'm smoking some Solani Aged Burley Flake #656. This is as complex as many straight Va blends but with a more deep flavor. Where Va blends then to be bright and citrus. This is a smooth coffee and nutty flavor almost like a good dark Chocolate . The tin says "a pressed combination of a variety of different types of Burley from around the globe. It has a rich, round flavor with cocoa and molasses notes; somewhat reminiscent of the late, lamented Edgeworth Sliced." So far one light on a fold and stuff method in a pretty big pipe. I've yet to run into a Solani I don't like.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Glad to see someone dipping into the flakes I put in the box. I'm not a big burley fan, loose cuts taste harsh to me, but the aged Burley flake is very rich and complex. I've started cellaring it and actually just procured a tin from it's release year from Pipestud. A 2006 vintage. I plan to crack it with a special forum member later in the year.