PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Continuing the above ramblings, today we are smoking E.P. Carrillo TAA from 2023.
1000002450.jpg
When these were released last summer we thought "yeah, pretty good!" Smoked a couple last week- underwhelmed. Wondered if they had faded out over just 10 months. Today's smoke- fantastic.

Is it me? Set and setting? Roller/buncher inconsistency? Different boxes...

I am coming to believe that when there's consistency, you'll know it. When there's not, you will probably never know exactly why

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
I like the brand, enough so that I've bought a box of La Madrina and El Borracho Broadleaf.

That being said, last night's smoke was not great. And with 6 months box time it should have shined. But what was the variable?? Who knows...

Which ones are you eyeing? I think they do a great job with branding
The Desvalid, Desvalid Disla are the two main ones I want to try and wouldn’t mind giving their sun grown a light as well. Should probably just order singles and go from there I guess.

Thanks for the info!

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
Continuing the above ramblings, today we are smoking E.P. Carrillo TAA from 2023.
View attachment 312606
When these were released last summer we thought "yeah, pretty good!" Smoked a couple last week- underwhelmed. Wondered if they had faded out over just 10 months. Today's smoke- fantastic.

Is it me? Set and setting? Roller/buncher inconsistency? Different boxes...

I am coming to believe that when there's consistency, you'll know it. When there's not, you will probably never know exactly why
It’s definitely strange. I’ve experienced that recently with the AF Hemingway Signatures. First two I had were money! 3rd was not good. Same box same humidor….idk if it was just my taste, mood, or what but wasn’t enjoying it at all. As you said, one of life’s great mysteries I suppose.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
The Desvalid, Desvalid Disla are the two main ones I want to try and wouldn’t mind giving their sun grown a light as well. Should probably just order singles and go from there I guess.

Thanks for the info!
I've got Dislas and Siempre Rosados resting, haven't yet tried either quite yet.

If you like their Corona Gorda size they do make them special for certain shops. I.E. they don't normally make Desvalido or Disla in that size, but they do for BL Luxuries. Some spot in MI has an all-Corona Dapper sampler pack. I can't recall the name but they're online.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
I've got Dislas and Siempre Rosados resting, haven't yet tried either quite yet.

If you like their Corona Gorda size they do make them special for certain shops. I.E. they don't normally make Desvalido or Disla in that size, but they do for BL Luxuries. Some spot in MI has an all-Corona Dapper sampler pack. I can't recall the name but they're online.
Great information to have!

Thanks again! Safe travels and good times on your trip!

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
I seemed to have picked back up my cigar habit🙄 So I’ve been looking for an El Cheapo daily as my habit is once again getting out of hand. These little jewels may just fit the bill! Fresh out of the mail, no rest time, decent construction, so far good flavor, and a 1.42 apiece. Can I go wrong?? To be continued….3686E9CD-7B7C-4E07-8912-937095090D50.jpeg
Brick House Fumas Maduro Corona

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
It’s definitely strange. I’ve experienced that recently with the AF Hemingway Signatures. First two I had were money! 3rd was not good. Same box same humidor….idk if it was just my taste, mood, or what but wasn’t enjoying it at all. As you said, one of life’s great mysteries I suppose.

Call me crazy but I've noticed that all kinds of little things effect my smoking experience, set and setting, my mood, the weather, the temperature, anything that I've eaten before or during, and especially any drink that I'm having. That one makes a huge impact. I think that it's also just really difficult to be 100% consistent with any natural product, especially when fermentation and aging are involved. Speaking of which, I remember way back when we used to be able to buy Henry McKenna single barrel bonded, for under $30, the consistency was all over the place. Most bottles were pretty similar, but sometimes you'd get a dud, and sometimes you'd get a bottle that must have been filled from God's own cask.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I took advantage of the 20% sale at Smoking Pipes and finally ordered a box of Trinidad Espiritu Series No. 2 cigars. As I’ve previously mentioned, out of the 2022 sixty-five CIGARfest sampler (which I enjoyed), there was only one cigar I found truly exceptional. Having a Trinidad Espiritu Series No. 2. Fundadores, 7.5" x 40 on the porch.

20240524_162851.jpg

Wasabi contemplated playing with his shrimp dumpling, but opted to just lie down.

20240524_164434.jpg

20240524_164458.jpg

I love the aroma of the Espiritu No. 2. I do wonder if I should’ve waited for a larger gauge to come back in stock (the one in the bundle was the Toro, 6.0" x 54). However, it’s tough to argue against the original format of the Trinidad:

BronzeAgePiper

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
Now would be the time to try some Dappers with 20% off all sticks at SP. I just bit the bullet on Desvalido,Cubo,and I heard the La Madrina Shade is sincerely something else so those are the ones I’m looking forward to trying. Almost got a Holy Smokes but just too big of a whammer.

Right now smoking my 6th one of these Lonsdales, all have had King-tier burn quality and just a couple without that stark white beautiful ash. This one has been the best with big beautiful succulently smooth lemon florals, and taking me past the 2 hour mark as opposed to 90min, ending in a sweet pile of breast bliss. An earlier one was crazy sweet anll the way with graham crackers galore, I was craving that flavor all week but haven’t quite gotten to experience it again and only a couple were just meh. All in all glad to have gotten a box of these.
IMG_5493.jpeg

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
Call me crazy but I've noticed that all kinds of little things effect my smoking experience, set and setting, my mood, the weather, the temperature, anything that I've eaten before or during, and especially any drink that I'm having. That one makes a huge impact. I think that it's also just really difficult to be 100% consistent with any natural product, especially when fermentation and aging are involved. Speaking of which, I remember way back when we used to be able to buy Henry McKenna single barrel bonded, for under $30, the consistency was all over the place. Most bottles were pretty similar, but sometimes you'd get a dud, and sometimes you'd get a bottle that must have been filled from God's own cask.
I agree with you completely. I revisited an aromatic pipe tobacco a couple days ago and it was immensely different than I remembered. For the better. All in all I’m learning not to cross anything off the list, simply put it back in the cellar or tubadors and try again later. Fun little hobby we all enjoy!😃