What Cigar Are You Smoking? 2024

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The thread about aging cigars got me thinking, what have I got sitting in my big cooler that been forgotten about. Turns out, quite a few things. Due to my 5 minute attention span I have a bad habit of buying things, smoking a couple, then moving onto something else. As a result I have a pile of cigars that have been accidentally aging anywhere from 5 to 10 years. Here's a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor robusto that I bought at Holt's probably around 2016ish. So far it's fantastic. I don't remember what they were like fresh, but this one is SUPER creamy, woody, cocoa, a tiny hint of black pepper, and an interesting dark fruit that reminds me of either raisins or prunes. Lots of smoke output and the burn is perfect. It's been stored in the cello, in a cigar box of mixed singles, in a big igloo cooler, in my basement, with 65 percent Bovedas.

View attachment 312127
That sounds real tasty 😋

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I wish there was an emoji that’s even more than heart eyes to adequately convey my love for this. If I had to pick just one, that one might be it. Superb, sir👌
The 8-5-8 was the cigar that turned me on to cigars. In the “pre-boom” years, it was inexpensive and exceedingly consistent. Every one was a gem. A few years ago, I finally polished off the box that I had from 1993. But the Anniversary Edition was every bit as good as those vintage cigars. Maybe better.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
From yesterday, packed a couple minis for a daytrip to Decorah, IA.
Smoked the Atabey "Hechizo," but the little Davidoff was spared.
1000002359.jpg
Found a spirits shop with cigars. To my surprise and delight they had a nice selection across 3 cabinet-style humidors. Picked up a handful of Oliva "Serie O" Robustos
1000002419.jpg
Ended the day with a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 "Junior" in the dark.

JoeW

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
IMG_4567.jpeg

Looking forward to the 3-day weekend, I opened the Tupperdor and pulled out a The Griffin’s toro, which I’ve been saving since my birthday in March. Pre-light draw produced notes of musty church basement, while the first half tasted mostly like wet cardboard. By 2/3 of the way through, the flavor improved to dry brown packing paper with occasional notes of plastic. In the last 2” the flavor became plain old bland, even slightly pleasant and toasty.

Very disappointing. But since some say it’s pretty similar to a Davidoff, The Griffin’s has saved me from buying much pricier Davidoffs!

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I haven't smoked many cigars lately but this weekend I'm going to smoke an Andulusian Bull at a local lounge, will give an update
View attachment 312396

Looking forward to the 3-day weekend, I opened the Tupperdor and pulled out a The Griffin’s toro, which I’ve been saving since my birthday in March. Pre-light draw produced notes of musty church basement, while the first half tasted mostly like wet cardboard. By 2/3 of the way through, the flavor improved to dry brown packing paper with occasional notes of plastic. In the last 2” the flavor became plain old bland, even slightly pleasant and toasty.

Very disappointing. But since some say it’s pretty similar to a Davidoff, The Griffin’s has saved me from buying much pricier Davidoffs!
Everybody I know who's smoked Davidoff has said they are not worth it. They say they're very well made but the flavor is just generic Dominican and that the Nicaraguan lines can be great but too expensive for anything to be good enough to justify

JoeW

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
Everybody I know who's smoked Davidoff has said they are not worth it. They say they're very well made but the flavor is just generic Dominican and that the Nicaraguan lines can be great but too expensive for anything to be good enough to justify
I will admit that it was a very well-constructed cigar: I never had to relight it or touch it up. Unfortunately, that was a nicest thing about it.

I was about to splurge on a Late Hour and another Davidoff when I was in Dallas last month: I'd never seen Davidoffs in real life before. Thankfully, I decided against it.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
That Davidoff Churchill Petit Panatela got smoked this afternoon.
1000002359.jpg
Incredibly good, but I'd have to admit I've had it resting for a year.

Tonight's night mode is "La Madrina" from Dapper, Robusto
1000002448.jpg
My ash cannot compete with Speak Easy

Attachments

• 1000002359.jpg
    1000002359.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 5

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
That Davidoff Churchill Petit Panatela got smoked this afternoon.
View attachment 312493
Incredibly good, but I'd have to admit I've had it resting for a year.

Tonight's night mode is "La Madrina" from Dapper, Robusto
View attachment 312494
My ash cannot compete with Speak Easy
How was that Dapper smoke? I’ve been looking at several to try from them.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
How was that Dapper smoke? I’ve been looking at several to try from them.
I like the brand, enough so that I've bought a box of La Madrina and El Borracho Broadleaf.

That being said, last night's smoke was not great. And with 6 months box time it should have shined. But what was the variable?? Who knows...

Which ones are you eyeing? I think they do a great job with branding