PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Had a tasty low calorie snack, and am close to finishing this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Give Me Liberty in a straight smooth medium brown pre-1920 straight Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking year 2013 Rotary Navy Cut in a post-1938 Pre-Republic Peterson Dublin straight smooth X155 bulldog with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Nigel Bruce smoked this model in two Sherlock Holmes movies. Please consider asking Smoking Pipes and Peterson to bring the pipe back into production.
Peterson_PR_Bulldog_X155.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The French hallmarks are very complicated and seldom had a date letter, the boars head is a silver guarantee mark and the diamond a maker’s mark. The guarantee marks and were often in the form of animal and insects or the heads of gods like Minerva and Mercury, your boars head just means it was made for the domestic market and post 1838. I’m still learning about them as it’s vastly different from British silver.
It’s a bit frustrating not being able to date French pipes easily.
Not that it means that much in the end
Just nice to know 🤔

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
KBV Jim's Special Flake in the clay! Outstanding! Makes me wish this bowl was bigger!! That's the most sweet citrus I've gotten from a blend. Looks like just matured bright Virginias. Fantastic!
@Tate My most smoked clay has a small bowl so it quickly burns down to ash:) When I broke my clay pipe in Nantwich I was emptying the ash out. One of the Sealed Knot re-enactors I met showed me how to empty the ash out of a clay pipe without breaking it, by gently tapping the pipe against the back of your hand.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am half way through this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a late '80s, early 90s small bend medium brown smooth, unbranded Nording pot with a couple small rusticated spots, an amber colored acrylic ferrule and tapered stem in the military mount style. That'll do it for me today.
Nording_pot_unbranded.jpg

Earlier, I gave a brief description of this evening's feral dramas. Here's all that happened: Sam the Scamp showed up to eat. He mostly stays in the driveway now, unless I am with him. I gave him some dry food on a paper plate at the end of the deck, and he was eating until he saw Tomato the Brave staring at him. Sam grabbed the plate by his teeth, and scampered with it to the driveway. Unfortunately, he left most of the food behind except for three pieces. I scooped up the food and put it on his plate. Tomato chased him under my car. I grabbed Tomato, and put him in the house. Sam came back out to eat, and Daisy the Feral Princess copied Tomato’s action. I grabbed her with one arm, and Sam with the other. I put Daisy in the house, and Sam in front of his food. I stood with him while he ate in relative peace.

After that, I let Tomato and Daisy out, and Sam ran. I caught Sam, picked up the plate of food (it was a refill), and took him to the front porch. When I was walking to the back, I caught Daisy hiding in the bushes pretending she wasn’t going to go after Sam. I picked her up, and brought her back in the house. Right then, Abner the Eager showed up, and Tomato chased him under the deck. He was running from one end of the deck to the other as an act of intimidation. I took Tomato back in the house. Abner came out, and I fed him.

And if all of that wasn’t enough, an hour later, I saw Shy Stripesy at the door. I got some food, and when I opened the door, Tomato chased her away. I felt bad hearing her hiding in the backyard, and crying plaintively. Once again, I put Tomato inside the house for over a half hour, even though I knew Stripesy probably wouldn’t come back. She didn’t, and as of right now, she still hasn’t, the poor hungry little girl. Luckily, Molly Danger was in the bedroom, so she didn’t freak out. Sleepy Suzy watchfully kept her eyes on the ferals, but wasn’t upset enough to do anything about it.

Well, Shy Stripesy showed up at 2 a.m., but ran from me. I brought Tomato in the house, and I hope she comes back to eat the food I left her.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Some football, my boy Hank, and a bowl of SG Black XX Twist. Terrific.

View attachment 258711
@JimRoseLV I once smoked through 25g of Black Irish XX Twist in a couple of days:)
Going to get some loose Gawith Hoggarth when I go to see the Sealed Knot next year. Dad says when I went to see the Sealed Knot, re-using the empty packet didn't offset the emissions from burning the tobacco:)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Gawith and Hogarth Dark Flake Aromatic in this small clay.View attachment 259060
@samuelgawith01 That's one fancy clay; it looks like the dragon's claw. Perfect for smoking dragonweed:)
Sounds like a good tobacco choice for the clay pipe. I LOVE Gawith baccy in my clays; can you imagine how many clays have been smoked with Gawith tobacco over the years???

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
@samuelgawith01 That's one fancy clay; it looks like the dragon's claw. Perfect for smoking dragonweed:)
Sounds like a good tobacco choice for the clay pipe. I LOVE Gawith baccy in my clays; can you imagine how many clays have been smoked with Gawith tobacco over the years???
Clays are the best pipes to smoke the Gawith flakes and ropes out of,in my opinion better than my briars.I think that most of the clays they dredge up out of the Thames had Gawith tobacco in them at some point.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Clays are the best pipes to smoke the Gawith flakes and ropes out of,in my opinion better than my briars.I think that most of the clays they dredge up out of the Thames had Gawith tobacco in them at some point.
@samuelgawith01 Great! Do you think the Clay King would like to smoke a clay he found during a river clean-up??? One of the Don Catchment Rivers Trust members found a clay pipe & pewter tankard during one of the volunteer days; Anthony says he thought they were mine:)
Going to get some loose Gawith Hoggarth when I go to Buxton again; taking some empty packets & my leather tobacco pouch that was a birthday gift from @Birddog66 - not much single use with me!
I think the loose Gawith Hoggarth would be perfect for clay pipe era re-enactments - I'm keeping the tradition of smoking Gawith tobacco in a clay pipe alive!

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
@samuelgawith01 Great! Do you think the Clay King would like to smoke a clay he found during a river clean-up??? One of the Don Catchment Rivers Trust members found a clay pipe & pewter tankard during one of the volunteer days; Anthony says he thought they were mine:)
Going to get some loose Gawith Hoggarth when I go to Buxton again; taking some empty packets & my leather tobacco pouch that was a birthday gift from @Birddog66 - not much single use with me!
I think the loose Gawith Hoggarth would be perfect for clay pipe era re-enactments - I'm keeping the tradition of smoking Gawith tobacco in a clay pipe alive!
I think his majesty should jump at the first opportunity.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I think his majesty should jump at the first opportunity.
@samuelgawith01 I've seen a lot of mudlarking find clay pipes on eBay; I love it when they find complete ones!
I enjoy getting my waders on and going in the water doing river clean-ups with the Don Catchment Rivers Trust:

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
It’s a bit frustrating not being able to date French pipes easily.
Not that it means that much in the end
Just nice to know 🤔
I feel you there, the little French Clap pipe I got last week has a single diamond mark on the gold band but it’s indecipherable. It would be a maker’s mark anyway but fortunately I can roughly date it with the stem and tenon to early 20thC.

I’m really thankful to Henry lll who came up with the idea of British the hallmarking system in 1280 to regulate gold and silver purity. I’m a bit of a hallmark geek if I’ve not made that obvious yet 🤓

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Enjoyed a tasty golden delicious apple, and am half way through this bowl of year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a late '80s, early 90s small bend medium brown smooth, unbranded Nording pot with a couple small rusticated spots, an amber colored acrylic ferrule and tapered stem in the military mount style. That'll do it for me today.
View attachment 259059

Earlier, I gave a brief description of this evening's feral dramas. Here's all that happened: Sam the Scamp showed up to eat. He mostly stays in the driveway now, unless I am with him. I gave him some dry food on a paper plate at the end of the deck, and he was eating until he saw Tomato the Brave staring at him. Sam grabbed the plate by his teeth, and scampered with it to the driveway. Unfortunately, he left most of the food behind except for three pieces. I scooped up the food and put it on his plate. Tomato chased him under my car. I grabbed Tomato, and put him in the house. Sam came back out to eat, and Daisy the Feral Princess copied Tomato’s action. I grabbed her with one arm, and Sam with the other. I put Daisy in the house, and Sam in front of his food. I stood with him while he ate in relative peace.

After that, I let Tomato and Daisy out, and Sam ran. I caught Sam, picked up the plate of food (it was a refill), and took him to the front porch. When I was walking to the back, I caught Daisy hiding in the bushes pretending she wasn’t going to go after Sam. I picked her up, and brought her back in the house. Right then, Abner the Eager showed up, and Tomato chased him under the deck. He was running from one end of the deck to the other as an act of intimidation. I took Tomato back in the house. Abner came out, and I fed him.

And if all of that wasn’t enough, an hour later, I saw Shy Stripesy at the door. I got some food, and when I opened the door, Tomato chased her away. I felt bad hearing her hiding in the backyard, and crying plaintively. Once again, I put Tomato inside the house for over a half hour, even though I knew Stripesy probably wouldn’t come back. She didn’t, and as of right now, she still hasn’t, the poor hungry little girl. Luckily, Molly Danger was in the bedroom, so she didn’t freak out. Sleepy Suzy watchfully kept her eyes on the ferals, but wasn’t upset enough to do anything about it.

Well, Shy Stripesy showed up at 2 a.m., but ran from me. I brought Tomato in the house, and I hope she comes back to eat the food I left her.
Have you tried putting some catnip down Jim? It usually mellows them out enough to leave each other alone and it’s great fun watching the individual reactions to it. I keep mine in an old hard candy tin and when I tap the lid they know it’s time to get their high on.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
@samuelgawith01 I've seen a lot of mudlarking find clay pipes on eBay; I love it when they find complete ones!
I enjoy getting my waders on and going in the water doing river clean-ups with the Don Catchment Rivers Trust:
Did you manage to date any of the old clay pipe bowls I sent you? I know some of them are pretty darn old.

Status
Not open for further replies.