March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
Nah, I've only got a skeletal hand clutching a skull, a mountain lion, and an owl.
I found out that in Germany some tobacco shops sell meerschaum pipes that have no name ( I asked and they said that the pipes are made by Kenan Gurkan Unvir, a Turkish family business)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I found out that in Germany some tobacco shops sell meerschaum pipes that have no name ( I asked and they said that the pipes are made by Kenan Gurkan Unvir, a Turkish family business)
Kenan Kökbudak made mine.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Sitting back with the Buffalo this evening. This thing has a Duane size chamber so it's a looong smoke.

As for the drilling/cleaning issues, I think I've hit on a simple solution that actually works. I did try the "water method" once with it, and it confirmed for me why I never did it before and never will again.

Not only did it not help at all...didn't clear out the gunk stuck below the draft, and I still had to just do it with pipe cleaners...but the little bit of water that got on the outside removed some wax. So, not doing that again.

But what I did figure out is I can cut a small section of a Falcon filter and insert it into the bottom of the chamber to plug the excess part of the hole. It smokes much better this way, and prevents it from getting as gunked up.

View attachment 210588
It makes me very happy knowing you smoke this! I'm in the camp where, if I made something for someone to use, and they don't use it , I'd be sad, like they don't like it! puffy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It makes me very happy knowing you smoke this! I'm in the camp where, if I made something for someone to use, and they don't use it , I'd be sad, like they don't like it! puffy
Absolutely...I always intended on smoking it. I'm just thankful that it actually smokes pretty well considering its awful drilling. After the last couple of smokes in it I'm feeling fairly confident it's going to be ok as it is using that bit of filter as I described...but it's kind of sad that it was drilled so poorly because it's such a great carving.

• Sad
Reactions: PipeIT

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Absolutely...I always intended on smoking it. I'm just thankful that it actually smokes pretty well considering its awful drilling. After the last couple of smokes in it I'm feeling fairly confident it's going to be ok as it is using that bit of filter as I described...but it's kind of sad that it was drilled so poorly because it's such a great carving.
I suppose it took a lot to carve the outside, but you'd think there would be more attention to the main point of a pipe. Glad you made it work!

Reactions: brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My ram is anxiously awaiting his date with fire.
Why are you making him wait??? This doesn't have anything to do with a previous conversation would it?
I'm guessing he's waiting for tomorrow at 5:24 PM EDT, the start of the Vernal Equinox, otherwise known as the first point of Aries (it's actually Pisces now but it's still referred to as Aries) but nevertheless, it's still the Equinox, so seems like an appropriate occasion...considering that many ritual practices and symbolic events get planned for that time frame. The "elite" are into that occult stuff...they probably have some big event planned for the next couple of days to psych the masses with.

But seriously...seems like a good time to fire up the Ram!

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Why are you making him wait??? This doesn't have anything to do with a previous conversation would it?

Nope - no way I’d wait that long - unless I do?

I was gonna christen it when I notched a tag on a Dall Sheep. I didn’t connect this past season and then found out I got into grad school doing research on Dall Sheep. Now I’m saving it for if/when I’m awarded that degree. Starting as an MS but hoping I can convince them to let me go straight for the PhD. If that happens, it’ll meet fire upon completion. Only time will tell.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I'm guessing he's waiting for tomorrow at 5:24 PM EDT, the start of the Vernal Equinox, otherwise known as the first point of Aries (it's actually Pisces now but it's still referred to as Aries) but nevertheless, it's still the Equinox, so seems like an appropriate occasion...considering that many ritual practices and symbolic events get planned for that time frame. The "elite" are into that occult stuff...they probably have some big event planned for the next couple of days to psych the masses with.

But seriously...seems like a good time to fire up the Ram!

I’m way simpler than all of that.