PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As expected, Brasil kicked the shit out of S. Korea. Korea tries so hard, but it seems something is always lacking. Japan also lost. I think a new approach is needed.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I bet Jonny Wilkinson wouldn't miss a single one if he was a footballer! Repeat ad nauseam until your mind breaks!
Some of the all time greats have missed penalties at big tournaments. The weight of the nation on your shoulders can be tough to handle.

Johnny was the business. I remember his drop goal that won us the Rugby World Cup. Don't think he'd be any good at taking penalties, tho. Johnny only likes to play with misshapen balls 😲

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Some of the all time greats have missed penalties at big tournaments. The weight of the nation on your shoulders can be tough to handle.

Johnny was the business. I remember his drop goal that won us the Rugby World Cup. Don't think he'd be any good at taking penalties, tho. Johnny only likes to play with misshapen balls 😲
Roberto Baggio comes to mind🤪 I’ve seen quite a few poor shots from games’ greats. Heck Lewandowski made a really poor attempt in the group stage.🤷‍♂️

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm sure they practiced but it's one thing taking penalties in training and a totally different thing taking them for a place in the quarter finals of the World Cup.

Pressure affects even the greatest of players.
My non expert view of penalties is that they're a 50/50 thing.

The goalie tries to guess which end of the net the penalty taker is going to aim for (or even the centre), and the penalty taker has to guess which side of the net the goalie will dive towards.

Therefore it's all just plain guesswork and not the rocket science that some would have us believe.

Now I expect to be shot down with every reason under the sun as to why guesswork doesn't even come into it :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: mingc
Jun 9, 2018
England
My non expert view of penalties is that they're a 50/50 thing.

The goalie tries to guess which end of the net the penalty taker is going to aim for (or even the centre), and the penalty taker has to guess which side of the net the goalie will dive towards.

Therefore it's all just plain guesswork and not the rocket science that some would have us believe.

Now I expect to be shot down with every reason under the sun as to why guesswork doesn't even come into it :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Jay.
It's a combination of skill, bottle and luck.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
A more pitiful collection of penalty attempts, I’ve not seen. Busquets was probably the least effort I’ve seen put in. And what’s with the go low philosophy of penalty kicks today. I’d launch it at the four foot level. Near impossible to stop (Though Messi had his stopped earlier in the tournament).
Back in the 90’s it was all about precision placement at the upper cross bar. It remained that way through at least 2016. But since the ‘18 cup, and through the euros, it’s shifted to a “outguess the keeper” philosophy, and everyone goes low🤷‍♂️

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
A more pitiful collection of penalty attempts, I’ve not seen. Busquets was probably the least effort I’ve seen put in. And what’s with the go low philosophy of penalty kicks today. I’d launch it at the four foot level. Near impossible to stop (Though Messi had his stopped earlier in the tournament).
Back in the 90’s it was all about precision placement at the upper cross bar. It remained that way through at least 2016. But since the ‘18 cup, and through the euros, it’s shifted to a “outguess the keeper” philosophy, and everyone goes low🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I prefer the old fashioned approach. Pick a top corner and try to hit it there as hard as you can.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Ronaldo dropped to the bench. Serves him right for acting like a stroppy teenager.
But they defer to him WAY too much. They look a lot more fluid, and forceful without him.
That goal by Ramos.... wow 😮 Prettiest goal I’ve seen this tournament. That header by Pepe was pretty slick for a 40 yr old dude (I must admit, I’ve a big dislike for Pepe. He’s a penchant for dumb and outright dirty plays ala Suarez and Zidine.)