PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
People have discounted Musk most of his life and he has prevailed. I’m willing to bet he comes out of this ok. He didn’t get rich being dumb.
You could sure fool me by the way he's handled this so far. Also, very, very smart people can be very, very obtuse.

My suspicion is that he's on the spectrum, probably Asperger's, so running a social network will be truly alien for him.

If what I've been reading from engineers who build platforms of this type of complexity is true, it's not a matter of sitting another code monkey in front of a keyboard. It's infinitely more complex and can take months to understand the structures of a site's coding. If nothing goes wrong for 3 or 4 months, a new team will be able to administer the site. So, when has nothing gone wrong for 3 or 4 minutes, much less months.

Also, the remaining workforce is now around 1100, mostly job visa holders who can't leave if they want to get their green card. Those are primarily more junior staff.

The rest can find other work and ride out a long wait while they build their own companies, Besides getting handsomely paid, they also got stock, which they can choose to sell. They were in a position to say "fuck off!".

Musk handled this stupidly.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
It will be very interesting to watch since I have no dog in this fight. I’ll bet Musk has something up his sleeve and is playing chess while most people are playing checkers. He has always known his limitations and has had plans to supplement what he doesn’t know. I don’t think for one minute any of how this is playing out is a surprise to him. Stay tuned.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It’s amazing to me something worth 43 B billion dollars is essentially nothing tangible.

Twitter is like an old fashioned radio station. Somehow it links up to the internet, instead of the airwaves, and millions of people can choose to use it, for free. The business sells advertising. But in the case of Twitter there are millions and millions of DJ’s instead of just one.

But if the transmitter goes dark, it’s worth zero, not one dime.

If I had 43 billion dollars I’d build a lot more fences at the farm and paint a rent house.

But if I just had to buy some etherware company I’d buy YouTube.

You can play DJ to yourself.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
It will be very interesting to watch since I have no dog in this fight. I’ll bet Musk has something up his sleeve and is playing chess while most people are playing checkers. He has always known his limitations and has had plans to supplement what he doesn’t know. I don’t think for one minute any of how this is playing out is a surprise to him. Stay tuned.

It's possible. I'm not rooting for any particular outcome either (mostly watching with amusement), but Musk being prone to spectacular successes and failures should keep it interesting for all of us. Entertainment value is surely part of his motivation here. :)

Reactions: trouttimes
Musk is extremely talented and a genius- but not the way most people think.

Musk has incredible talent and optimism to dream up stuff and then motivate really talented engineers to build what he dreamt up and convince financial industry to fund his dreams.

That his why he has incredible success and respect on what he is doing with SpaceX (Though if you look into the SpaceX documentary on Netflix you will probably realize that he was easily the dumbest person in the whole documentary)

That is why he is also moderately successful with Tesla -(I have ridden the new BMW electric which my colleague purchased - he is soon going to get intense German competition)

Now these eternal optimists are not grounded by a capable down to earth execution team, they fail. That is why Hyperloop is still an idiocy.

I am watching the twitter saga with interest. It would be an interesting lesson any way it goes. However Musk is showing signs of megalomania which might go south for him.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, today's installment was certainly interesting. An estimated 1200 employees left on Thursday. There was a massive problem with people getting their cars out of Twitter SF's parking due to their badges having been deactivated. The gates wouldn't open. That's one way to keep your employees around.

Today, Musk sent out a company wide request asking if there was anyone left who could actually write code. He then asked those who could to provide a bullet point explanation of what their code did for Twitter, how effective it was, and to send him some lines of code for his perusal, so that he could determine its value. He also ordered all coders to be at the office at 2 PM tomorrow for a meeting, then backed off that order to make it more of a request that would be appreciated, and also said that he would arrange video meetings for those unable to be in the office by 2.

In addition Musk asked for a vote from the twitter membership about restoring the account of a certain personage who, in deference to forum rules, shall not be named here.

Stay tuned for more episodes.

Of more interest to me, I opened up a jar of McClelland 2015 and pulled out about 2 oz to enjoy.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I sometimes think the biggest difference twain rich people and not rich people is that our friends will tell us when we are being stupid
My first father in law owned over a dozen banks, plus he also occasionally made other large investments.

About thirty years ago, he came to me and sought my advice for what would happen if he and his wife both got so old they had to go to a nursing home. They’d turned sixty, and the prospect of the cost of nursing home care was troubling him.

The rich truly are different than us. To earn over one hundred million dollars is something I’d never do, because I’d quit winner long, long before that level. The people they hire kiss their ass constantly and learn never to say no. Overall great riches are a blessing, but there’s a price of isolation from reality that comes with it.

I reminded him that he’d just bought and flipped a small hospital for an eight million dollar profit the year before.

And I ventured the opinion a nursing home surely wouldn’t cost more, than a hospital. If he wanted, he could buy a nursing home, and if he owned it they would have to treat him and his wife well, give them the best rooms, and such.

He smiled and said, in the back of my mind it’s always 1949, I just want to earn $3,000 a year, get married and become cashier of a bank. Instead 168 people work for me, I pay 15 of them $150,000 a year, and when I look down it’s a long way to fall, you know?

The worst thing I ever did to that man was return the care and support of his daughter to him, about twenty two years ago.

He had the power to crush me like a bug, but he turned me loose to live again.

I’m glad to know both him and his wife lived a long life, and died without needing nursing care.

He never did, make cashier. Instead he owned the second largest chain of privately owned banks in Missouri.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Not surprising a bunch of people have left, sounds like he's running a sweatshop. Recall there were similar sorts of actions at Tesla during the pandemic. I wonder if he knows enough to tell good code from bad....? I don't really have a dog in the hunt as I don't have an account.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had a twitter account for hockey.

If you mentioned politics I blocked you.

I normally spent five minutes on Twitter in any given day.

A little over a week ago I deleted the app, because, just like other social media platforms, some people can’t figure out shitting the bed continuously isn’t appealing.

And quite honestly I got tired of blocking people.

The way twitter works is an incestuous circle jerk.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Not surprising a bunch of people have left, sounds like he's running a sweatshop. Recall there were similar sorts of actions at Tesla during the pandemic. I wonder if he knows enough to tell good code from bad....? I don't really have a dog in the hunt as I don't have an account.
A sweatshop?

Musk has asked people to come to work and is getting rid of customized coffee and lunch food.

Oh the horror.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
A sweatshop?

Musk has asked people to come to work and is getting rid of customized coffee and lunch food.

Oh the horror.
I’d have to imagine that statement is more directed at the mandatory OT with no mention of equally risen pay.

If my company said the new normal is now 70-80 hours per week but my compensation is staying as is, that would be an issue.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’d have to imagine that statement is more directed at the mandatory OT with no mention of equally risen pay.

If my company said the new normal is now 70-80 hours per week but my compensation is staying as is, that would be an issue.
Absolutely. You don't inspire your staff by treating them like puppets.

I'm no stranger to intense work and sleeping in the office. I didn't do that because some self appointed Emperor demanded it.

I did it because I was involved in a proof of concept that would create a new division and a new studio at Warner Bros and it succeeded.

Then I learned a semi bitter lesson years later, when that division, of which I was the senior art director and head of 2D, was sacrificed to hide enormous financial losses in a different division.

If you're going to go "hard core" and sleep under your desk while monitoring project progress, do it for yourself, never for the Emperor. The Emperor will happily sacrifice you without noticing.

Better to have "loving father" on your tombstone than "He made his deadlines", unless you prefer dark humor.

Don't root for the bullshitters.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Absolutely. You don't inspire your staff by treating them like puppets.

I'm no stranger to intense work and sleeping in the office. I didn't do that because some self appointed Emperor demanded it.

I did it because I was involved in a proof of concept that would create a new division and a new studio at Warner Bros and it succeeded.

Then I learned a semi bitter lesson years later, when that division, of which I was the senior art director and head of 2D, was sacrificed to hide enormous financial losses in a different division.

If you're going to go "hard core" and sleep under your desk while monitoring project progress, do it for yourself, never for the Emperor. The Emperor will happily sacrifice you without noticing.

Better to have "loving father" on your tombstone than "He made his deadlines", unless you prefer dark humor.

Don't root for the bullshitters.
You can be a loving father and a hard worker who makes deadlines.

I’m not concerned about Twitter employees at all. At all.

I’ve lived my entire life by a simple code.

If your current boss doesn’t appreciate you, your next boss will.

I’ll shed a tear for twittter employees when pipeline workers and coal miners jobs are mourned.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina

IME folks will work 70-80 hrs per week without complaint when they are treated right, and are engaged in something they believe in. Ordering folks around like this will encourage employees to vote with their feet, which may be the purpose of the exercise. The best ones (the ones you really want to keep) will leave first as they don't fear finding employment elsewhere. I worked for years at a top company and we put a lot of effort in hiring the right folks and then keeping them, efforts that paid off multiple times in repeated company successes. The approach by Musk seems just the opposite of that and I expect we won't be surprised at the result.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
IME folks will work 70-80 hrs per week without complaint when they are treated right, and are engaged in something they believe in. Ordering folks around like this will encourage employees to vote with their feet, which may be the purpose of the exercise. The best ones (the ones you really want to keep) will leave first as they don't fear finding employment elsewhere. I worked for years at a top company and we put a lot of effort in hiring the right folks and then keeping them, efforts that paid off multiple times in repeated company successes. The approach by Musk seems just the opposite of that and I expect we won't be surprised at the result.
Spot on, 100%

Reactions: sablebrush52