36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I wouldn't make it easy on my employer to get what they want (unless I had a new job already lined up). There's no way I'm going to just meet demands that lower my own personal standards or just "quit" so they can go find someone else at better pay. They can fire me though because if they really want me gone, I have equally earned my right to:

-My severance package which may cover 6-9 months worth of my future salary depending on the company
-My RSU options that are part of my compensation (though this is gone from Twitter going private).
-My health benefits for my family
-Unemployment collection if I end up needing it.

There is no chance I'm letting my employer off that hook if it seems like they are trying to reimagine their workforce. They are free to do it, absolutely, but I also have a claim to the financial and benefit compensation I earned by being an employee for the company.

I work off hours, weekends and holidays at times when it's needed, on my own decision because a certain project requires it. I'm not compensated for it but it's also not mandated through my boss.

I have been super interested in this topic for the last two weeks. Unlike many of the posters above who seems to have taken sides already, I am trying to observe this as dispassionately as possible. I am kind of glad this is happening in Twitter / Musk. This would be an exciting management case study, and being so high profile it would be highly visible with more facts coming to limelight hopefully. However this continues to happen in business, but not with the focus of the world.

I would also recommend reading between the lines in the newspaper because even the best journalists maybe showing some bias. Here are my summarized facts so far.

1. Twitter operates in a space which is highly meritocratic- Where demand for talent exceeds supply by a very high margin
2. Just because it operates is a space which is meritocratic does not necessarily mean it is efficient. Financial performance of Twitter is poor and possibly not a financial rigor in operations
3. Highly skilled people generally work for an organization in their own terms. They always have jobs lined up and chooses to stay/not stay based on their individual as well as the company’s accomplishments
4. You cannot push highly skilled people. Stick never works. Carrot works better by a large amount (Carrot = Money, prestige, self worth)
5. Musk has been very successful in his prior endeavors so he is a proven businessman (Although an idiot engineer as I noted earlier)
6. Musk possibly has a short term tactics / long term plan
7. His short term tactics has all backfired as Twitter employees are all showing him fingers
8. Given his previous success he still can salvage
9. Musk is immensely wealthy so his motivations / future plan is not immediately clear to the general public
10. Musk is wealthy enough to write off his entire investment in Twitter
11. Musk is wealthy enough to run Twitter as per his values without any plan of a successful business model.

What will happen? I don’t know 😊

Edited for grammar errors. If you find more don’t let me know 😊

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Here is a question for all you folks that are smarter than me. Considering Musk’s extensive connections over seas, is it possible he is clearing the deck to bring in talent from say China or India at a much lower rate? The down time would have little long term damage if he brings back the “right” people’s accounts. He can gain followers back easy as can be with the right people posting again. Americans are crazy about knowing what Kim thinks or what outrageous thing Trump has to say. They eat this stuff up like ice cream on Sunday.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
You can be a loving father and a hard worker who makes deadlines.

I’m not concerned about Twitter employees at all. At all.

I’ve lived my entire life by a simple code.

If your current boss doesn’t appreciate you, your next boss will.

I’ll shed a tear for twittter employees when pipeline workers and coal miners jobs are mourned.
Yes, I have less concern for the affluent having employment problems. They have options and are smart enough to use them

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
Here is a question for all you folks that are smarter than me. Considering Musk’s extensive connections over seas, is it possible he is clearing the deck to bring in talent from say China or India at a much lower rate? The down time would have little long term damage if he brings back the “right” people’s accounts. He can gain followers back easy as can be with the right people posting again. Americans are crazy about knowing what Kim thinks or what outrageous thing Trump has to say. They eat this stuff up like ice cream on Sunday.
(Doubt I'm smarter than you.)

The proverbial "is it possible?" conjecture, suggested somewhat by the nice analysis from @cshubhra has been applied to nearly all of EL's verified decisions, to include his initial decision to even make the offer to purchase, e.g. was it his plan to do this or that, or fundamentally change the platform, or even shut it down?

My response: anything is possible. But, he has hinted that wherever it goes, ultimately it will be merged with the "X" concept he's been floating, which is some kind of all-encompassing digital leviathan, on the chalkboard of his mind.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My first father in law owned over a dozen banks, plus he also occasionally made other large investments.

About thirty years ago, he came to me and sought my advice for what would happen if he and his wife both got so old they had to go to a nursing home. They’d turned sixty, and the prospect of the cost of nursing home care was troubling him.

The rich truly are different than us. To earn over one hundred million dollars is something I’d never do, because I’d quit winner long, long before that level. The people they hire kiss their ass constantly and learn never to say no. Overall great riches are a blessing, but there’s a price of isolation from reality that comes with it.

I reminded him that he’d just bought and flipped a small hospital for an eight million dollar profit the year before.

And I ventured the opinion a nursing home surely wouldn’t cost more, than a hospital. If he wanted, he could buy a nursing home, and if he owned it they would have to treat him and his wife well, give them the best rooms, and such.

He smiled and said, in the back of my mind it’s always 1949, I just want to earn $3,000 a year, get married and become cashier of a bank. Instead 168 people work for me, I pay 15 of them $150,000 a year, and when I look down it’s a long way to fall, you know?

The worst thing I ever did to that man was return the care and support of his daughter to him, about twenty two years ago.

He had the power to crush me like a bug, but he turned me loose to live again.

I’m glad to know both him and his wife lived a long life, and died without needing nursing care.

He never did, make cashier. Instead he owned the second largest chain of privately owned banks in Missouri.
good point. Seems like after people get that kind of money they feel like they have to keep making more, sometimes just because and other times because if they don't make more money people lose their jobs.
It's funny the court jester seems odd to modern people, yet the Musks of this world obviously might benefit from such a set up.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Haven't you noticed that there is "censorship" here as well?

Weird.
And he never specified what on Twitter was being "censored," either. Interesting.

Elon Musk is a brat. 44 billion dollars. Just the thought of a single human having 44 billion dollars and using it to buy Twitter instead of anything - ANYTHING - positive for the human race just makes me feel ill.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You can be a loving father and a hard worker who makes deadlines.

I’m not concerned about Twitter employees at all. At all.

I’ve lived my entire life by a simple code.

If your current boss doesn’t appreciate you, your next boss will.

I’ll shed a tear for twittter employees when pipeline workers and coal miners jobs are mourned.
"You can be a loving father and a hard worker who makes deadlines."

Not if you're never home, you can't, because you're kids won't see it, or experience it. You'll just be, at best, a cautionary tale.

Otherwise I don't disagree, but I also don't make a distinction in terms of how leaders treat their staff. People are not widgets and shouldn't be regarded and treated as widgets by any management that's worth being management.

I'm a demanding boss who gets results and I don't get that by browbeating, abuse, threats, or ultimatums. People who do that don't belong in management. They're not getting the best their team can do. And if you are delivering ultimatums you clearly didn't know what the hell you were doing in the first place or along the way to where you now find yourself. Congratulations on being incompetent.

There's no distinction between pipeline workers, or coal miners, or any essential pursuit, such as teachers, farmers, fire fighters, nurses, and doctors. They all deserve respect and their lives matter. And, we don't acknowledge, nor celebrate any of these people whose work is essential to our well being because why? They're not special enough?

Twitter employees, with the exception of their indentured servants, the work visa force, are going to be fine. There may be cuts in social media employment, thank goodness, but there are a lot of opportunities in the economy for people with coding talent. And the work visa force, if it comes to it, will also be fine, just elsewhere.
They'll do what I and many others have done when we've been knocked down, namely pick ourselves up, brush off the dirt and move forward. People with traditional jobs that are phasing out will have to do what other people like me have done, adapt, train, develop new tools. Welcome to nature. Adapt or die.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Bringing in overseas talent on work visa is a long standing practice with all the major tech companies. Twitter already has hundreds of them, and they're likely the bulk of the staff that didn't leave, because they can't. They are bound to and dependent on their sponsoring company. Moreover, any retirement plan savings that they make can be forfeited, as well as other penalties, if they leave.

My next door neighbor was one of these work visa employess in Tech until he finally got his green card last year. He's going to apply for citizenship because his dream was to become an American since childhood.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Haven't you noticed that there is "censorship" here as well?

Weird.
There is in the same sense that there is on Twitter or other websites, mostly a "code of conduct" sort of thing. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater because it gets you off. Here you can't viciously attack fellow members. And politics is banned because it's a proven forum killer. People with boundary issues hate this.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
What’s your definition of censorship?
I don't think that my definition matters here. If we asked everyone to provide a sample, the results would be all over the place.

The fact is that without people to help curate the whole mess, internet discussion seems to trend toward devolving into a cesspool that few people (aside from the completely deranged) want to participate in. I expect that Twitter is just a matter of scale, in a lot of ways, from what we see here. The moderators here know this problem very well.

People will haggle over the details of how much moderation is necessary. But, if he really is a free speech absolutist who intends to launch an experiment on a large scale; If he had just sat down with Kevin from this site or a couple of moderators, he'd have saved himself a shit-ton of money over seeing if it works or not.

Maybe he's not as all around brilliant as his fan-boys say. Just really fucking smart in some things. It's a possibility that I guess we'll see the answer to in the coming years.

Then again, maybe he is Xenu returning...