PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
So I have always used Czech tools with my pipes -- they are so inherently functional and just straight to the point. In particular, I monkey around with the pick a lot (as much as the tamper and the scoop or whatever you might call the third part are also functional). I've never understood why someone would choose something else.

This was especially true because (embarrassing confession) I didn't realize other tampers also have -- at least some? -- the pick, or what I learned over the weekend is a dottle pick. (I think that was what I saw it called.)

I can't now find where I saw this; I thought it was an email from one of the online retailers for some really nice looking tampers. You all know them: Scoop on one end, tamper on the other and... an internal dottle pick?! I had no idea. (Doubling down on the embarrassing confession.)

So my question is: Do all tampers have this hidden feature? Are they worth the extra cost? (This probably gets subjective, akin to a cob vs. a birth-year Dunhill.) Does anyone have a strong opinion on one, the other or both? I certainly can imagine feeling like a finer gentleman with a finer tamper to go with a nice pipe...

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I’ll say, I picked up a Joseph Rodgers took during IPSD and was surprised at how much I like it for something that essentially can be done with my finger. I wanted a tamper, pick and knife in a compact tool so it checked the boxes. For what basically was a splurge purchase, I can’t say I have ever been more satisfied either with a random pick up.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For what it is worth, I have a lighter case/sleeve that has a tamper, dull and round blade, and pick.

It's kind of ugly and feels awkward in the hand and pocket.

I was hoping for efficiency, but got more clutter with a "tool" I never use. Personally, I prefer the redwood handled pipe tool (cheap, efficient and functional).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Snuff canons are such an awesome novelty. I would love to see that old packaging. I've never seen a czech tool with anything resembling a package.
sigh

I guess another case of me having to provide photo or video evidence of my posts. I'll try to refrain from posting outside of WAYS since you find my posts so amusing.

• Love
Reactions: warren

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sigh

I guess another case of me having to provide photo or video evidence of my posts. I'll try to refrain from posting outside of WAYS since you find my posts so amusing.
I'd consider it a favor. I.e. you don't need to provide proof anything. I am sure I am not the only person that would love to see that but... No need to provide it if you don't really like us (intentional blatant manipulation)

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ll say, I picked up a Joseph Rodgers took during IPSD and was surprised at how much I like it for something that essentially can be done with my finger. I wanted a tamper, pick and knife in a compact tool so it checked the boxes. For what basically was a splurge purchase, I can’t say I have ever been more satisfied either with a random pick up.
I like my Rodgers very much. When it’s not my ☝️, I definitely use that the most. ☕