PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I keep my pen refills in one. (I bought many extra refills for my favorite pen) I've also used them for storing corn cob stems in. And my last 8oz tin, I keep my pipe cleaners in.

Reactions: FLDRD

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
You can do just about anything with them. I've done all those things mentioned above. About the only thing I haven't done is try to use the lids in an attempt to work out that "three sea shell" bathroom method they mentioned in Demolition Man.

Attachments

• in-demolition-man-people-use-3-seashells-instead-of-toilet-70674663.png
    in-demolition-man-people-use-3-seashells-instead-of-toilet-70674663.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 17
I keep about six of the small square tins to carry tobaccos from jars in. They fit easily into a sports jacket pocket or even the back pocket on some pants.

I used a bunch of the round ones to store screws and nuts of various sizes and labelled them with a sharpie on the sides so that I can easily find the size that I am looking for.

I believe it was woodsroad that suggested using them for skeet shooing, which could be made a tad more interesting of you filled them with different colored powdered chalks.

I keep one of each blend that I found an interesting design, and then I just toss the rest away.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to give my empties to my ex wife. She has plenty now so I just throw them out. I have no use for them and never have. They pile up quickly as I smoke mostly tinned tobacco. I have a cool Dunhill display unit that I used to keep empty tins in it but got bored and don't bother with it any more.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I use round ones for outdoor ashtrays. Even stick a cork knocker in sometimes & keep the lid on when not in use.

I use some of the square ones like Mac Barens to carry a small bar of hand soap in my tool box in the truck. Comes in handy when outdoors camping or on a jobsite.

I have one in the console of my truck full of change & a couple of bills for paying tolls, etc. Easier to get to then getting into my pocket with seatbelt on.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I keep about six of the small square tins to carry tobaccos from jars in. They fit easily into a sports jacket pocket or even the back pocket on some pants.

I used a bunch of the round ones to store screws and nuts of various sizes and labelled them with a sharpie on the sides so that I can easily find the size that I am looking for.

I believe it was woodsroad that suggested using them for skeet shooing, which could be made a tad more interesting of you filled them with different colored powdered chalks.

I keep one of each blend that I found an interesting design, and then I just toss the rest away.
Liking that idea of colored chalk / powder inside them!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I used to give my empties to my ex wife. She has plenty now so I just throw them out. I have no use for them and never have. They pile up quickly as I smoke mostly tinned tobacco. I have a cool Dunhill display unit that I used to keep empty tins in it but got bored and don't bother with it any more.
But you didn't mention what use she had for them?

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I use round ones for outdoor ashtrays. Even stick a cork knocker in sometimes & keep the lid on when not in use.

I use some of the square ones like Mac Barens to carry a small bar of hand soap in my tool box in the truck. Comes in handy when outdoors camping or on a jobsite.

I have one in the console of my truck full of change & a couple of bills for paying tolls, etc. Easier to get to then getting into my pocket with seatbelt on.
Now there's a couple of unique & practical ideas. Cool.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I saved a bunch for a few years, threw them all out in 2012. I regret throwing some of them away cause a few of them are no longer produced. I still hold on to some, I use some for nails, tacks, etc etc. I use an 8oz tin to collect incense ashes, which is now almost full with nothing but fine ash. I hold on to ones I find attractive now.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
So you're wasting trash .....
Not a bit. My town paid a bundle of moneys for our newest landfill, complete with a million dollars of liner. Once filled, the land will be sold to unsuspecting folk as home building lots. I'm helping to reduce property tax increases by creating land to be taxed. Not to mention the jobs created so the trash can be separated, compacted and buried. Then there are the jobs created so that the land can be reclaimed after years of poisons and such being buried. Not to mention the moneys claimed by lawyers from any settlements. Then ... there are the new homes to be built for the residents whose homes on the landfill have been condemned. Contractors, employees and of course the local government all benefit from the care and concern exhibited by me and many other residents who participated, years earlier, in creating the landfill. It's a win-win for all concerned. Even environmentalists gain as they have something to do with their time, walking back and forth with their signs.