PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm starting to see that I'm going to need to have a plan for all my cool empty tobacco tins and I don't know what to do with them yet. The little boy in me still likes treasure chests, cool little boxes, neat containers, etc., so throwing them out seems wrong. OTOH, I really don't know what to use them for. Someone must have some neat ideas, this is certainly not a new conundrum. If you're so inclined, please LMK your solutions.
Thanks

Reactions: SBC
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm starting to see that I'm going to need to have a plan for all my cool empty tobacco tins and I don't know what to do with them yet. The little boy in me still likes treasure chests, cool little boxes, neat containers, etc., so throwing them out seems wrong. OTOH, I really don't know what to use them for. Someone must have some neat ideas, this is certainly not a new conundrum. If you're so inclined, please LMK your solutions.
Thanks
Others posted 2 ideas in a similar thread that I thought were novel and legit.

One was to store fishing lures and hooks. I'm not a fisherman but appreciated the idea.

The other was to purchase a clock mechanism and make mini clocks out of metal tins. They looked sharp and I made one out of a Frozen candy tin for my daughter.

Reactions: Deano

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Regarding these, I've seen a couple postings in the sales section here the past year or so I've been on the forum. Sometimes people just want empty tins, for whatever reason. Decoration, art project, feng shui faux pas photographic centerpiece...who knows? Might be worth hanging onto 'em in case another WTB/ISO thread pops up on here. Hell, they might even pay you enough that you can buy a pouch of Borkum Riff for your troubles. Sweetest damn smoke you'll ever have in your life, just for being a pack rat for X amount of months! What could go wrong?

Reactions: FLDRD

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
WhenI first started I saved all of my empties.However, it got to be too much and I tossed them. I love the idea of repurposing them but have never found a great use to do so. The clock idea is neat. Maybe I’ll do that one of these days.

edit: I do repurpose cigar boxes as storage containers. I use them to keep all my pipe accoutrements. My wife uses them for her makeup.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Been doing this for 50 years. If I had saved all of those "cool tins", they would have taken over my house. I toss them in the recycle bin. I have used them for ash trays, and I know some folks use them for storing nails, screws, etc. We know Professor Tolkien smoked Capstan because of the tins he had in his workshop, used for that very thing.

Reactions: lawdawg and FLDRD

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I recycle them. I used to save empty containers from various other hobbies and never really found a use for them or anybody that wanted them, no now all such things go straight into the recycling bin.

Reactions: GatorElGato

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I keep it and other repeated ones I give, to family and friends who like for decoration. I think one day it will be a beautiful memory of our tobacco world. No, I won't throw any tin in the trash..............

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Others posted 2 ideas in a similar thread that I thought were novel and legit.

One was to store fishing lures and hooks. I'm not a fisherman but appreciated the idea.

The other was to purchase a clock mechanism and make mini clocks out of metal tins. They looked sharp and I made one out of a Frozen candy tin for my daughter.
Excellent. One very practical for some, and a very unique one. Clocks would make a great gift for tobacco lovers, although we're a small group. If I had some components on hand I could give it a try. Hmm, suppose I could check and see how easily I could get parts and attempt to make one for the secret santa program .................

Reactions: JOHN72

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Been doing this for 50 years. If I had saved all of those "cool tins", they would have taken over my house. I toss them in the recycle bin. I have used them for ash trays, and I know some folks use them for storing nails, screws, etc. We know Professor Tolkien smoked Capstan because of the tins he had in his workshop, used for that very thing.
Interesting bit of trivia. Cool.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
WhenI first started I saved all of my empties.However, it got to be too much and I tossed them. I love the idea of repurposing them but have never found a great use to do so. The clock idea is neat. Maybe I’ll do that one of these days.

edit: I do repurpose cigar boxes as storage containers. I use them to keep all my pipe accoutrements. My wife uses them for her makeup.
Yeah, if the word gets out there may be a lot of little "extras" in the form of tin box clocks in the secret santa packages this year.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I mount them on the walls of my garage. One or two screws through the tin, and then twist on the lid of the tin.
Ok, I get that. I do / did the same with discs from the sport of Ultimate. But one would sure be putting a lot of holes in ones garage wall for that piece of immobile art.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I recycle them. I used to save empty containers from various other hobbies and never really found a use for them or anybody that wanted them, no now all such things go straight into the recycling bin.
Understood. It's just that in our area there's always glitches in the actual recycling that prevents the product(s) from, you know, getting recycled and not thrown in the general pile.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I keep it and other repeated ones I give, to family and friends who like for decoration. I think one day it will be a beautiful memory of our tobacco world. No, I won't throw any tin in the trash..............
But one would need a place / means of containing and storing them. Even that must be practical or artsy.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Excellent. One very practical for some, and a very unique one. Clocks would make a great gift for tobacco lovers, although we're a small group. If I had some components on hand I could give it a try. Hmm, suppose I could check and see how easily I could get parts and attempt to make one for the secret santa program .................
Clock mechanisms are available at craft stores, like Michael's, for like $10. I'm not handy but was able to do it. Another member inspired the idea.