PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm not really trying to make a point. Just a "point of view"? I find it interesting how peoples definitions of 'alternate reality' are so different.

Yes. Being in a different place would affect where you want to go or where you can go. That's how we get around! :)
Yes. Those things would affect which fantasies you have.
Yes. Fantasies can be about things that are inaccessible.
But in my reality (and every single person has a different reality) those things have nothing to do with an alternate reality.
To a wealthy person, being poor is an alternate reality. But they don't have fantasies about being poor and it isn't something that affects where they want to go or where they can go.

To a guy that just smokes Captain Black once in a while or isn't into pipes or tobacco and maybe has kids to clothe and feed, the person that spends $250 for a tin of tobacco is in an alternate reality. They can't imagine paying that much for tobacco and it's not part of their reality. And the guy that willingly pays $250 for a tin of tobacco can't imagine passing it up just because he has kids to feed. Two opposing realities.

Example..... those that enjoy city life and can't imagine all that disgusting peace and quiet of country life have an alternate reality from those that can't imagine living in all that disgusting crime, noise and filth. Alternate realities.
I see you're just ruminating on life.

Reactions: DAR

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would offer that the disconnect here is that the word gouging in the abstract sense does lend itself to the simple definition offered from Wikipedia, whereas "Gouging" or "Price Gouging" or similar are in many jurisdictions defined terms and in some circumstances considered offenses (whether criminal or civil). The conditions for being found guilty of such an offense likely vary, but are likely mostly similar to the description by jpmcwjr.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
For the more educated. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's the Virginia based blends that can be cellared for longer periods of time. But Latakia based blends have a shorter shelf life right? I'm seeing stuff over 8-10 years and selling for top dollar but wondering if they have to farm it out quick because it isn't going to hold up long enough at the rate they smoke it. Right?
Latakia based blends often contain Virginia in them. Latakia tobacco can be aged just like Virginias, but it becomes more mellow and muted, which some people like and others don’t. Whereas Virginia tobacco becomes sweeter. I had original Balkan Sobranie once (a Latakia based blend) and it was great.

Pipestud sells vintage English blends and they go fast.

Post like these always makes me wonder... what do they want to happen? Do they want "authorities" to intervene, maybe an arrest? Ha ha. Do they just want to shame the person? Or, is it merely a foot stomping and venting sort of thing?

Having had a jewelry store for years, I always wondered why someone would come in and boisterously declare that they think my prices are too damn high, ha ha. Like yelling, I'm poor and stupid and want everyone to know it. Its gold and gemstones... did you read the sign on the door? Or, did you just accidentally wander in and then thought that someone was going to force you buy something? WTF. Meanwhile the store is full of people who know that they are getting a great deal. It's just not a very smart move.

I've said this before, but... on the seller's side of things, prices are worth just what it will take for that person to let go of it. You want my 12 year old self-propelled lawnmower that I really like, it will cost you $1500. Take it or leave it. Or, open your mouth and look stupid. That is merely what I will take to go through the hassle of finding a new lawnmower. Sure, you can buy a new one for $100, and I suggest that you go get one of those. This price is merely what it will take for me to let go of mine.

If I want to put up a tin of tobacco for $1200, take it or leave it, or open your mouth and declare what type of person you are. It is obvious that it will take a lot of money to separate myself from that tin for some reason.

If I want to put up a brand new Dunhill for $10,000 etc etc etc... If you want it, buy it, or just move on. There is no law against asking to much for something. Gouging can only occur if the essential item is sold in a way that gives you no other options. I can sell bread for a million buck a loaf... if there is another option down the road. Otherwise, it's a free country, not some totalitarian dictatorship that controls how much you can sell your possessions for.

Hell, I have about 20 years supply of McClelland Red Cake 5200. If anyone wants a jar, which I don't really want to sell at all, it will cost them $1000 a jar, otherwise do without or go somewhere else. Mmmmm, make that $2000, because I really don't want to let go of any of them at all. If you want to dicker or haggle me, the price will only go up, because F you, it's my jar.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I don’t value tobacco that highly. Paying that much for a tin of tobacco makes no sense to me….but, that’s me. Many may see it as an opportunity to smoke a unicorn or something like that…and that’s fine too. We all don’t live at the same latitude. And, if a fella wants to buy it then go head…have fun!?☕

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Illustration-price-relationship-demand.jpg

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Post like these always makes me wonder... what do they want to happen?
I don’t think people often act with an intention like that. We often just spew our own inner states out at other people.

And while I agree with your other statements of the perspective of a seller, you should at least listen to these people. They are giving you valuable market information.

The most successful businesses continue to sell to people who like the existing wares, but then extend their inventory to include the complainers. If one ever found oneself unable to make ends meet, these complainers may be turned into customers in some other way.

I am temperamentally inclined to ignore the complainers too, which is why my success in business will only go so far. Luckily it has been far enough for my needs.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's the market price for the item. It's not gouging or scalping or anything like that. You don't have to buy it but don't complain about those that do. Why should I sell something for less than market price? Sure I'd like to get my hands on some Balkan Sobranie 759 but the market price is way outside my buying ability. I don't sit around whining about it. It is what it is.

The most successful businesses continue to sell to people who like the existing wares, but then extend their inventory to include the complainers. If one ever found oneself unable to make ends meet, these complainers may be turned into customers in some other way.
This is not always true. There are a whole other set of laws regarding luxury level good than regular goods. Dunhill set the car higher for themselves (along ago) by not trying to compete with pipes and goods competing for the workingman. Dunhills do not cost any more to produce than Petersons, but yet their prices at 5-10Xs higher. They've never made a pipe at a price point to compete with Petes. Thusly, Peterson has made some higher end pipes, but yet the name is branded at the workingman level, so regardless of how luxurious a pipe Peterson makes, it will never be seen as a luxury level pipemaker.

Same for all of the luxury market; sunglasses, clothes, cars, etc... Mercedes is not goin to try to compete with Ford Fiestas. They never will. For if they do, they lose their place at the top end.

The graph that Briarbuck posted is true, but at like an elementary level of understanding markets.

Do you think Whole Foods is worried about getting more mid to lower level shoppers? No, of course not. They don't even want them in the store. If a $12 jar of peanut butter is too high for someone, they don't care, because it's not their market.

I know, I know, it sucks for those left out of that market, somewhat. It makes one feel left out, or devalued. But, it also drives the market, by enticing some to make more money, or strive to be in a higher level of income. While poverty is the whip on the economy, the luxury goods market is the carrot.

I mean, one could argue that "the market" doesn't work that way, but phhhhhht,,, there is enough evidence to show that it exists, and it works. Not to sound coy or heartless, but I'm not going to sell my work or products just to get my work in the hands of others. Maybe Henry Ford would, or those that do mass production, but not everyone is motivated merely by altruistism.

But, yeh, it hurts to see Lamborghinis being sold at a price point that I will never be able to drive, or Jess Chonowitsch pipes being sold at a point where most will never even be able to touch one, or $1000 tshirts from Dunhill. But, none of these companies or brands are trying to reach out to working men. In fact, in board rooms or company meetings for these types brands, reaching out to more people is NOT on their minds or even discussed.

It goes in the face of regular entry level marketing rules, but it obviously works, because humans are complex beings. And, my and your opinions on the matter don't matter at all. It just is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.