PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think an alternate income level does give one an alternate reality. I suppose you can just buy the whole store for thousands of dollars in order to save money on tobacco. That would be an alternate income level AND an alternate reality. One persons reality might say, "Youza! You are nuts. I need to feed my family!" and another persons reality might say, "Sure, why not. In the long run you save $22,561 on pipe tobacco if you buy the whole store". They both make sense depending on what your real life is like.
yeah it does. I can confirm that by having lived in several different income levels ranging from scraping to get by and then needing a miracle or two up through now if I lost my job I could not change my life style for a while. And yeah there are several different realities in there. For one thing the food you have fantasies about changes. And if fantasying about being able to eat fast food and fantasying about globe trotting and hitting up those fancy places you've heard about isn't a clear example of different realities I don't know what is. And yeah I could give more. For one thing that people don't like talking about is how stress changes. Oh you can stress about stuff when you have money but it's so much easier to take steps to ignore it or deal with it later. But when you stress is worrying about eating or having a roof over your head that is way harder to put aside. Anyone that doesn't think it's a different reality hasn't lived it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Greed is the very backbone of capitalism. The US was founded on greed. Greed saves us from the despots and totalitarianism of communism.
and…. what the hell is wrong with the bourgeoisie? One of the lessons that Cuba learned was that the wealthy leave behind the best buildings…. which turn to shit when you kill off the rich.
Buddhism, like all religions, is great for self improvement, mental health, and “the soul,” but sucks as a basis of an economy and government.
yeah those are the only two options. And I love how those despots said the same thing. Kind of like how the left says the right is ruining things and the right says the left is ruining things and they're both right and saving us from the other. Any time somethings turned into a dualistic at least it's not that, someone doesn't want you to think of the infinite alternatives. The fact is there will never be correct answer to how we live because life is always in flux. And we've got plenty of despots with too much power over other peoples lives, because people like that will always care about their own personal gain and power above all else and the party or the economy is just a vehicle to them. Thinking that any particular philosophy or style of government will save us from them. And selfishness and bloated self importance will cause damage no matter what pretty ideology it gets dress up in. Because some people are corrupt, rotten, and spoiled and just like any other corruption, rot, or spoilage the only answer is to stop it directly. Example you throw out rotten moldy food instead of pretend you can prevent it or make it negligible. If a kitchen pretended or believed they had a system that would either stop or make negligent thee effect of rotten spoiled food then people would get sick while they'd insist their system prevents what happens at other restaurants. See the rub is we can't stop being human.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So a few years ago, I bought a few tins of premium tobacco, and since I smoke only a bowl or two a day, some of this is still unopened, and it turns out I'm in a position to smoke like a maharaja, for a few weeks, or intermittently. Or in the case of Dark Star, perhaps just burn up a lot of matches and get really angry at a premium blend that won't stay lit. Or sell the exalted blends and buy an Ashton. I'll have to smoke a pipe on this.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
For the more educated. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's the Virginia based blends that can be cellared for longer periods of time. But Latakia based blends have a shorter shelf life right? I'm seeing stuff over 8-10 years and selling for top dollar but wondering if they have to farm it out quick because it isn't going to hold up long enough at the rate they smoke it. Right?

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
yeah it does. I can confirm that by having lived in several different income levels ranging from scraping to get by and then needing a miracle or two up through now if I lost my job I could not change my life style for a while. And yeah there are several different realities in there. For one thing the food you have fantasies about changes. And if fantasying about being able to eat fast food and fantasying about globe trotting and hitting up those fancy places you've heard about isn't a clear example of different realities I don't know what is. And yeah I could give more. For one thing that people don't like talking about is how stress changes. Oh you can stress about stuff when you have money but it's so much easier to take steps to ignore it or deal with it later. But when you stress is worrying about eating or having a roof over your head that is way harder to put aside. Anyone that doesn't think it's a different reality hasn't lived it.
Reality is where you actually are. Income level included. An alternate reality is where you are not. Income level included. An alternate reality isn't about food fantasies (does anyone really have those?) or globe trotting. It's about someone elses "norm" or..... reality. It's not about desiring another reality.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Reality is where you actually are. Income level included. An alternate reality is where you are not. Income level included. An alternate reality isn't about food fantasies (does anyone really have those?) or globe trotting. It's about someone elses "norm" or..... reality. It's not about desiring another reality.
? Not sure what you're point is here? Maybe I need more caffeine at the moment. But I don't see your point.
Wouldn't being in a different place effect what you see? Wouldn't it effect where you want to go or where you can go. Wouldn't those things effect which fantasies you have? Aren't fantasies about things that are inaccessible in some way. So wouldn't different realities be illustrated somewhat well by what fantasies they produce?
I don't know because I am totally lost on what you are specifically trying to get at. I did however make a fumbling attempt and would love some clarification.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
? Not sure what you're point is here? Maybe I need more caffeine at the moment. But I don't see your point.
Wouldn't being in a different place effect what you see? Wouldn't it effect where you want to go or where you can go. Wouldn't those things effect which fantasies you have? Aren't fantasies about things that are inaccessible in some way. So wouldn't different realities be illustrated somewhat well by what fantasies they produce?
I don't know because I am totally lost on what you are specifically trying to get at. I did however make a fumbling attempt and would love some clarification.
I'm not really trying to make a point. Just a "point of view"? I find it interesting how peoples definitions of 'alternate reality' are so different.

Yes. Being in a different place would affect where you want to go or where you can go. That's how we get around! :)
Yes. Those things would affect which fantasies you have.
Yes. Fantasies can be about things that are inaccessible.
But in my reality (and every single person has a different reality) those things have nothing to do with an alternate reality.
To a wealthy person, being poor is an alternate reality. But they don't have fantasies about being poor and it isn't something that affects where they want to go or where they can go.

To a guy that just smokes Captain Black once in a while or isn't into pipes or tobacco and maybe has kids to clothe and feed, the person that spends $250 for a tin of tobacco is in an alternate reality. They can't imagine paying that much for tobacco and it's not part of their reality. And the guy that willingly pays $250 for a tin of tobacco can't imagine passing it up just because he has kids to feed. Two opposing realities.

Example..... those that enjoy city life and can't imagine all that disgusting peace and quiet of country life have an alternate reality from those that can't imagine living in all that disgusting crime, noise and filth. Alternate realities.

Status
Not open for further replies.