PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Southern part of Spain and Portugal has great figs! Used to know a friend in Portugal that grew fig. Amazing figs. Madeira has great varieties.
Yes, (Albatera) Alicante is currently a producer of figs for supermarkets. They are great and very good quality. My grandfather had a farm, with beautiful figs trees. Figs were used as missile to play.................Or to give the goats, to be able to milk quietly...Of course, to enjoy at the table as well ....?

Sad to reply that I just buy it in bottles. Don't know how basalmics are made, but suspect there are a few options.
You mean that you've seen a fig balsamic vinegar? That is sort of like saying a peach champagne.
But, vinaigrettes can have all sorts of things added. But, anyways...

I traded with a lady that makes a fig preserve this weekend. I was just curious as to what it's like, and whether I wanted to make some to sell also. Not a fan. They weren't really selling well for her anyways. But, I did start a gallon of fig wine again. It was a little different recipe, so I'll see if it was worth the effort.
Fig products just must not be a huge thing down here. Everyone I've talked to when I mention figs, crinkles their noses and says, "I've always hated fig newtons." I don't think figs taste anything like fig newtons, but that's the general consensus here.

Persimmon tree in the front yard
The wood from persimmon trees is highly valued among artisans. It has a tough as ebony dark center core, surrounded by flexible lighter rings. In Asia it is prized for making archery bows, because the wood is strong and doesn't break, and the dark and light contrast makes it great for making decorative items as well.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Went to the grocery and bought a packed of Fig Newtons. What the hell happened? I remember the package of Fig Newtons being like a heavy 3lb solid brick of goodness that you could have used as a weapon if needed. Now...you get 2 rows with about 20 Newtons on the package. What a rip.

Grrrr. Get off my lawn....

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
You mean that you've seen a fig balsamic vinegar? That is sort of like saying a peach champagne.
But, vinaigrettes can have all sorts of things added. But, anyways...

I traded with a lady that makes a fig preserve this weekend. I was just curious as to what it's like, and whether I wanted to make some to sell also. Not a fan. They weren't really selling well for her anyways. But, I did start a gallon of fig wine again. It was a little different recipe, so I'll see if it was worth the effort.
Fig products just must not be a huge thing down here. Everyone I've talked to when I mention figs, crinkles their noses and says, "I've always hated fig newtons." I don't think figs taste anything like fig newtons, but that's the general consensus here.
There was a small Oil & Vinegar shop in Covington for awhile that did indeed sell a Fig Balsamic Vinegar. It was a product of Germany. The retail store closed down in 2020 for some reason but they still have a website. Don't know if they are still in business though.

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 11.11.12 AM.png