New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Used to grow fig trees. Had over 100 trees going. Did few short talk with my cub scouts on fig propagation. During the rough years, they all got killed. Trying to get back into it, but my green thumb isn't cooperating last few times I tried. From 7 years ago..

View attachment 91244
We have a few fig trees on our family property, but they are the smaller figs. The trees are just as old as I am, so I don’t know which variety they are. They taste great though!

I’ve got a brown turkey fig tree. It’s about six years old now. And, at the moment it’s loaded with figs.
But, everyone in my family hates figs and things made with figs. So, I just make my chili releno caserole and add in figs for bites of sweetness, without telling them, and let the rest go to the birds. They love the relenos.

The figs don’t last long enough to take them to the farmers market either.

I made wine a test gallon of wine from them last year, and it was ok, but not worth the effort.

I wish now I had planted another apricot tree there instead. :0\

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
A couple of places we lived while I was growing up had a fig tree in the yard. Big, old fig trees that a 16-year olds arms wouldn't reach halfway around. Great trees for climbing too. I loved eating fresh picked figs and the fig preserves my grandmother made was way better than anything you can buy today.

I just wish more grocery stores or farmers market would sell locally grown figs.

edit: Thanks Cosmic, I didn't know the figs didn't stay good long enough to go to a farmers market.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Used to grow fig trees. Had over 100 trees going. Did few short talk with my cub scouts on fig propagation. During the rough years, they all got killed. Trying to get back into it, but my green thumb isn't cooperating last few times I tried. From 7 years ago..

View attachment 91244
I love figs. A very nutritious and tasty fruit. Also dry...........???

edit: Thanks Cosmic, I didn't know the figs didn't stay good long enough to go to a farmers market.
Persimmons and figs, I have one of each, and neither stay fresh long enough to get them to the market. :0(
And people beg me for persimmons, mine are these huge bright orange fruits. Beautiful in the Fall.

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
I’ve got a brown turkey fig tree. It’s about six years old now. And, at the moment it’s loaded with figs.
But, everyone in my family hates figs and things made with figs. So, I just make my chili releno caserole and add in figs for bites of sweetness, without telling them, and let the rest go to the birds. They love the relenos.

I made wine a test gallon of wine from them last year, and it was ok, but not worth the effort.

You can make a nice "brandy" from them. Just need a mason jar and some vodka.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri

I’ve bought dried figs preserved in honey at my local farmers market - might be a good way to make use of them beyond the releno?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had two fig trees in my back yard at my first house here in N.C. I had a next-door neighbor who was a retired orchard man from Syracuse, and he did the first serious harvesting of the figs when we were living there. He was in his late eighties and fearless on ladders. If the ladder was a little shaky, he called it a "jiggly set." One winter, here in North Carolina, it actually got down to nine below zero, which is exceedingly rare, and that killed the fig trees right to the roots. But the roots lived and restored the trees to nearly full height after about three years. I was amazed at both how they died to the ground and how they restored themselves. My late wife made some good fig preserves from the harvest. Our black cat would climb the fig tree nearest the house, and I'd get out the chaise lounge, unfold it completely, and provide a ramp for him to climb down, hooking his claws in the nylon straps.

I’ve bought dried figs preserved in honey at my local farmers market - might be a good way to make use of them beyond the releno?
That’s a good idea, along with preserves to sell. But, my honey is very valuable to me, as it makes my meads. I barely do anything else with honey, ha ha. Mead is just magical, sometimes tasting like a very drinkable bourbon, sometimes like the sweetest chardenay of the gods.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Starting back around 2007, I started to grow a few containerized, fig trees. Fig trees do very well in large 15-25 gallon containers, and they can be moved into a cool, garage for overwintering. I use to keep my fig trees in an unheated garden shed. Not a great choice, but it was the only place I could store them for the long winter. I live in Zone-7b NYC. A miserable climate for growing Mediterranean fig trees. I managed to keep them alive and well for 5-6 years, and they ripened delectable figs each summer.

But, all good things must come to an end. The trees lasted until the terrible winter of 2012-2013. The freezing temperatures and long cold winter killed all my trees. I had a tree, my pride and joy, that had a trunk on it that was as fat and thick as my upper arm...and put out golden-yellow figs that were as sweet as sugar. It froze to death.

Fig trees that are grown in big containers have to be watered, consistently. Go on vacation, or forget to water on a hot day, and trees will be stressed, and more than likely, drop fruit. Not good. It's a commitment and the constant care and watering can become a chore. Fig trees are like having a "botanical dog" that requires attention, feeding, watering, etc. Screw up, and the tree dies.... or worse, doesn't bear fruit.

But, if you are retired, like to stick around the yard, like to cultivate trees, plants, veggies, fruits, etc....don't hesitate to grow a nice fig tree, either planted in ground or containerized. Do some homework and figure out what you'll need to do to keep the tree(s) alive over the winter. Winters will be your biggest problems if you live where temps drop below 40* F. Fig tree roots will die if they are frozen in icy soil.... or if roots freeze solid growing in a container. The results are the same.

You can't go wrong with growing "Black Mission", "Hardy Chicago" and/or the slightly inferior "Brown Turkey" which can split, get insipid and washed out if it gets too much water at the roots as figs ripen. If you decide to grow in containers ....then, you'll get to decide when figs get watered.

Pick your poison.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
We have two massive fig trees on our village property, making green/cream coloured, very large figs. I used to like them fresh or dried and always ate fresh wigs with the skin....until I realised that there are often little worms inside them. Nether touched one since. Also a real pain to get rid of fig trees, if you don't manage to totally destroy their roots they keep coming up year after year.

We call persimmons lotus in Greece, for some reason a lot of people don't like them. I love them both tart and crisp, and honey-sweet when they are super ripe.

@cosmicfolklore google hoshigaki for an idea about persimmons. It's totally wonky and labour intensive to do but the reward is good.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My ex wife has 4 Mango trees that produce so much fruit she begrudgingly sends me a pile when she knows the kids will be coming over. I was surprised when she sent some as from her last house she had grapefruit and oranges and huge lemons and she let them rot on the ground before she ever sent me any.. She has resentment issues.
It wasn't my fault her forensic accountant couldn't figure out how I made a living.