PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
That’s a good idea, along with preserves to sell. But, my honey is very valuable to me, as it makes my meads. I barely do anything else with honey, ha ha. Mead is just magical, sometimes tasting like a very drinkable bourbon, sometimes like the sweetest chardenay of the gods.
A buddy of mine makes mead, and had a legendary batch of chamomile mead that was so sweet and smooth that a fellow didn't even know he was hammered until he slithered right out of his chair....is what I heard.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You mean that you've seen a fig balsamic vinegar? That is sort of like saying a peach champagne.
But, vinaigrettes can have all sorts of things added. But, anyways...

I traded with a lady that makes a fig preserve this weekend. I was just curious as to what it's like, and whether I wanted to make some to sell also. Not a fan. They weren't really selling well for her anyways. But, I did start a gallon of fig wine again. It was a little different recipe, so I'll see if it was worth the effort.
Fig products just must not be a huge thing down here. Everyone I've talked to when I mention figs, crinkles their noses and says, "I've always hated fig newtons." I don't think figs taste anything like fig newtons, but that's the general consensus here.
Mission fig is closest to fig Newton.

And don't for a minute believe that the cookies in the bakery case of a grocery store are fresh baked in store. They are not. They arrive in a big box and then a minimum wage worker transfer them to the plastic containers and stick the store label on them.
Our grocers has an actual bakery. They even make announcements when fresh cookies or beads come out of the oven. No one in a grocery store is minimum wage. Most here are union jobs.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Our grocers has an actual bakery. They even make announcements when fresh cookies or beads come out of the oven. No one in a grocery store is minimum wage. Most here are union jobs.
There are always exception and it's good to see that you have one of them. There are several stores in the New Orleans area that have functioning bakeries also.

Since 2003, I have mainly worked producing printed grocery store ads and I had to learn how to read the order books stores use to stock their shelves. I also learned the truth about 95% of the grocery chains and independent stores. A lot of stores claim they have bakeries but in reality they only thing the bake fresh is French bread (from frozen loaves that are shipped to them by their suppliers).

That being said, one of my clients has a bakery that actually bakes and decorates most of the cakes in the display case. You can even see them decorating cakes during the day. Their cookies and pies are shipped in.