PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Figs should be the National fruit of the Cajuns, we can them with enough sugar in them to make you a diabetic just looking at them. Fig tarts are the best, french bread, cold milk, figs and man oh man you got a Cajun party yeah.Been Nurseing a fig tree after cane farmer killed my 3 other trees, getting enough where wife cans them with Splendor. If you offer someone a fig sandwich who says he’s a Ka-Jah, refuses it, he’s an imposter, I Garronte!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Figs should be the National fruit of the Cajuns, we can them with enough sugar in them to make you a diabetic just looking at them. Fig tarts are the best, french bread, cold milk, figs and man oh man you got a Cajun party yeah.Been Nurseing a fig tree after cane farmer killed my 3 other trees, getting enough where wife cans them with Splendor. If you offer someone a fig sandwich who says he’s a Ka-Jah, refuses it, he’s an imposter, I Garronte!
LSU came out with some great figs. Does well in deep south with humidity and all.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
We have two massive fig trees on our village property, making green/cream coloured, very large figs. I used to like them fresh or dried and always ate fresh wigs with the skin....until I realised that there are often little worms inside them. Nether touched one since. Also a real pain to get rid of fig trees, if you don't manage to totally destroy their roots they keep coming up year after year.

We call persimmons lotus in Greece, for some reason a lot of people don't like them. I love them both tart and crisp, and honey-sweet when they are super ripe.

@cosmicfolklore google hoshigaki for an idea about persimmons. It's totally wonky and labour intensive to do but the reward is good.
You mean fig wasps? They are the ones that makes figs great in Mediterranean. They pollinate the fig making it taste better, and bigger. In US, only certain area in California has fig wasps. I think LA. They were imported some time ago. Most other area can only have common figs that doesn't need pollination.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Starting back around 2007, I started to grow a few containerized, fig trees. Fig trees do very well in large 15-25 gallon containers, and they can be moved into a cool, garage for overwintering. I use to keep my fig trees in an unheated garden shed. Not a great choice, but it was the only place I could store them for the long winter. I live in Zone-7b NYC. A miserable climate for growing Mediterranean fig trees. I managed to keep them alive and well for 5-6 years, and they ripened delectable figs each summer.

But, all good things must come to an end. The trees lasted until the terrible winter of 2012-2013. The freezing temperatures and long cold winter killed all my trees. I had a tree, my pride and joy, that had a trunk on it that was as fat and thick as my upper arm...and put out golden-yellow figs that were as sweet as sugar. It froze to death.

Fig trees that are grown in big containers have to be watered, consistently. Go on vacation, or forget to water on a hot day, and trees will be stressed, and more than likely, drop fruit. Not good. It's a commitment and the constant care and watering can become a chore. Fig trees are like having a "botanical dog" that requires attention, feeding, watering, etc. Screw up, and the tree dies.... or worse, doesn't bear fruit.

But, if you are retired, like to stick around the yard, like to cultivate trees, plants, veggies, fruits, etc....don't hesitate to grow a nice fig tree, either planted in ground or containerized. Do some homework and figure out what you'll need to do to keep the tree(s) alive over the winter. Winters will be your biggest problems if you live where temps drop below 40* F. Fig tree roots will die if they are frozen in icy soil.... or if roots freeze solid growing in a container. The results are the same.

You can't go wrong with growing "Black Mission", "Hardy Chicago" and/or the slightly inferior "Brown Turkey" which can split, get insipid and washed out if it gets too much water at the roots as figs ripen. If you decide to grow in containers ....then, you'll get to decide when figs get watered.

Pick your poison.
Yupe, mine were all container cultures. They all died in winter due to cold weather and my illness. I'm going to put them in ground this time.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Used to grow fig trees. Had over 100 trees going. Did few short talk with my cub scouts on fig propagation. During the rough years, they all got killed. Trying to get back into it, but my green thumb isn't cooperating last few times I tried. From 7 years ago..

View attachment 91244
I'm in Tennessee at a new house and can't wait to get some figs in this fall. Tasty suckers and the trees get so big. 100 trees is a lot. A lot.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm in Tennessee at a new house and can't wait to get some figs in this fall. Tasty suckers and the trees get so big. 100 trees is a lot. A lot.
Container culture. Grew them all in pots. Only issue is moving them around come winter. Didn't trust the soil. But from what I understand, most bad stuff in soil doesn't end up in fruits. Flower of sort in this case. So gonna give growing in ground a try.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Persimmon tree in the front yard, and I tried, I really tried to like them. But I couldn't. Figs on the other hand are ambrosia.
I love persimmons too. Though I like the smaller wild ones better than the big Japanese persimmons. But those are good too. Ever accidentally get a green one? ?
My grandfather showed me when I was a kid that if you cut a persimmon seed in half lengthwise, and look at the cross section, you’ll see the shape of either a spoon or a fork in the seed.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
You mean fig wasps? They are the ones that makes figs great in Mediterranean. They pollinate the fig making it taste better, and bigger. In US, only certain area in California has fig wasps. I think LA. They were imported some time ago. Most other area can only have common figs that doesn't need pollination.
No, I mean tearing it in half and seeing small white worms wiggling :(

• Wow
Reactions: bullet08 and JOHN72