PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Manifest on Netflix
It's decent but not good enough to highly recommend. 3.75/5 (75%). That being said, I'm deep into the series, so probably will continue to watch it through.

Also watching Dexter on Showtime
Better than Manifest, and good overall. 4.4/5 (88%). Not in my best of all time, but definitely solid enough to recommend.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I am watching all 33 episodes of Inspector Morse on YouTube. Down to the last episode.
Should’ve been called Inspector Morose.
? John Thaw perfectly captured that gruff, prim, stoic Dexter creation.
It’s definitely not for everybody, but I definitely enjoyed the series.
(Novels were just as melancholy....something Martha Grimes took to in her later Melrose Plant/Inspector Jury novels, which ruined that series for me)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Folks- Please attach your rating to those films/series you have watched. (X/5)
I rarely rent streaming, but did so yesterday night, Godzilla v Kong. Lots of fun! But have always been a Godzilla fan and saw the first G v K as a boy in a theater.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I rarely rent streaming, but did so yesterday night, Godzilla v Kong. Lots of fun! But have always been a Godzilla fan and saw the first G v K as a boy in a theater. Other than that, watch a lot of Marvel superhero flicks. Thor: Ragnarok was a lot of fun, not as serious as the previous Thor films.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Cinderella Man. It was released in 2005, and streaming now on HBO. I saw it a few times, and watched it again today. If you missed it, check it out. Great movie! 5/5.

View attachment 88659
Such synchronicity. I typed out the below comments in a word document before coming here to post it. Had no idea anyone had just mentioned this movie:

Watched two boxing movies during the last few days. I give both 5/5 based on the most important aspect of any movie...the story. Both transcend the subject of boxing.

Cinderella Man: Somehow I've never seen this, and knew almost nothing about Braddock. Great movie, and it's good to know occasionally stories like this are true.

The second is one I've watched several times...Million Dollar Baby. God bless Clint Eastwood for making this. Many years ago I never would have believed I'd be saying that one of Clint's best movies is about a girl boxer, but if this one doesn't get to you, you have no soul. Fortunately it came out when the Oscars still meant something, and if ever a movie deserved to sweep the awards it was this one. This is just about as good as movies get.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Saw the first episode of The North Water.
It's about whale hunters in 1849.
Interesting period, and everything with old ships and harsh nature interests me
so the show was a must to see.

It's good but I can't shake the feeling of watching a production.
It feels quite studio-costume-set up, so I can't give it more than 3/5.
The manuscript is also quite bland.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I'm usually an action movie sort of guy but have been watching Virgin River on Netflix. And enjoying it a great deal.
Ha… I’ve watched the past two seasons. On the 3rd episode of season 3 and it’s fading. It hasn’t jumped the shark yet, but Fonzie is heading towards the ramp. Too early to tell, hopefully he turns around?

Last edited:

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Such synchronicity. I typed out the below comments in a word document before coming here to post it. Had no idea anyone had just mentioned this movie:

Watched two boxing movies during the last few days. I give both 5/5 based on the most important aspect of any movie...the story. Both transcend the subject of boxing.

Cinderella Man: Somehow I've never seen this, and knew almost nothing about Braddock. Great movie, and it's good to know occasionally stories like this are true.

The second is one I've watched several times...Million Dollar Baby. God bless Clint Eastwood for making this. Many years ago I never would have believed I'd be saying that one of Clint's best movies is about a girl boxer, but if this one doesn't get to you, you have no soul. Fortunately it came out when the Oscars still meant something, and if ever a movie deserved to sweep the awards it was this one. This is just about as good as movies get.
Nice! I agree… and I’ve been a fan of Clint Eastwood since watching those spaghetti westerns with my dad as a kid?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Been watching Narcos on Netflix.
13CD8525-7F75-4A25-AFA4-935F6C62F888.jpegIt’s a show about the effort to bring down the Medellin and Cali drug cartels in Columbia in the 80s-90s I’d give the first two seasons a 4/5. I think they could’ve ended it at the end of season 2. I’m on season 3, and it doesn’t feel like the same show, but I’m still enjoying it so far. Wagner Moura does an excellent job playing Pablo Escobar, and looking at pictures of the actor, he apparently put on quite a bit of weight for the role.

I’ve never been a superhero fan. To me they were all just the modern versions of old kung fu movies, unbelievable plot lines with highly choreographed fight scenes.
Then, A friend turned me on to the nuances of the Marvel Universe, or one of them. Apparantly the X men don’t have anything to do with tge Avengers.
But, we’ve worked our way through all of the Marvel Universe down to Loki and WandaVision. Marvel is pretty enthralling…. But the whole DC thing os a turn off. How many tomes will the redo Batman?
Anyways, too many movies to rate them all, but watching the Marvel movies in chronological order is pretty cool. Some are weaker than the rest, I’m not sure I’d set through Dr Strange again…. Or even Antman. Some better than others, but I’d give the Marvel Uni a 4.5/5 stars.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Gonna give this a 6 out of 5:

soundeffects.jpg

I'm not saying you need to binge watch/re-watch it like we do at my house but if you can't enjoy an episode or two every now and then something is wrong with you...

Status
Not open for further replies.