PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Los Angeles jumped past a pretty big moment today with its City Council approving a ban on flavored tobaccos. From this LA Times story: L.A. moves to ban selling flavored tobacco, but exempts some hookah sales - https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-16/flavored-tobacco-hookah-menthol-cigarettes-la-city-council

"Tobacco products that come in sweet, fruity and minty flavors could soon be banned from store shelves in Los Angeles, under a proposal backed Wednesday by the City Council."

And:

"Much of the debate at City Hall centered around whether to carve out any exemptions to the proposed ban. Council members opted to exempt some sales of hookah tobacco, but decided against an exemption for menthol cigarettes."

The story also notes a ballot measure about flavored tobacco is likely going to be on California's ballot in November 2022.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Why is hookah off the hook? Elites in CA smoke hookah instead of cigars?
I didn't quote from all the story, apologies: an effort by hookah sellers and some push by Armenian and other communities arguing hookahs have cultural significance for them. The city also will be banning menthol cigarettes and there was argument about whether that unfairly focuses on Black communities (vs. whether it just unfairly hurts those communities by contributing to smoking/its associated health impacts).

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I didn't quote from all the story, apologies: an effort by hookah sellers and some push by Armenian and other communities arguing hookahs have cultural significance for them. The city also will be banning menthol cigarettes and there was argument about whether that unfairly focuses on Black communities (vs. whether it just unfairly hurts those communities by contributing to smoking/its associated health impacts).
So hookah got a cultural exemption. If this passes, does that not create a precedent for any culture that uses tobacco, flavored or otherwise?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Tobacco in its entire form needs to be exempted. It's an age old cultural significance to every red blooded Americans!!! And unlike those tobacco nazis, I guarantee non-smokers will be tolerated, and allowed to share every inch of this beautiful country.

Reactions: DangerStranger

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
…and yet marijuana continues to be legalized. Typical hypocritical BS.
The carcinogens in marijuana smoke have not received the publicity that those in cigarette smoke have (despite quite a few being identical). That's coming down the pike in another 10-15 years.

lesson here is make some noise. Ask for it. Make your case. What's different with hookahs? Oh the people who buy and sell them said no. That's it.
Fortunately, I am not in California, so I do not need to concern myself with this for now. Coming from a tobacco-producing state, we may have to wait forever for legal grass, but illegal 'backer is not likely in the foreseeable future.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
"The city also will be banning menthol cigarettes and there was argument about whether that unfairly focuses on Black communities" Wait till you see the black market on that and the shootings over Newports... cray

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
This was covered in another thread, but are there even any B&Ms left in LA? I can't think of any other than Tobacco Trader.

Reactions: Servant King
Status
Not open for further replies.